Is Rap and Metal compatible with being Catholic?
I've often wondered what ones sees when u read LOL backwords
kinda creepy
(04-13-2011, 08:46 PM)alegare21 Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 08:17 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: I mean both secular rap & metal AND religious Rap and metal. 

Issue 1: As for secular Rap and Metal:  How does one avoid imbibe or absorbing the lyrics; one often does subconsciously or even without realising it?

How do you avoid absorbing the lyrics? Well if I hear a rap song that is saying stuff about going out and having sex with random girls, I know that action is sinful so I don't do it. And I wouldn't worry about subconsciously absorbing the bad lyrics.

Why would a person who truly loves God take pleasure in something that so heartily offends Him?

Quote:If your morals are in check, your actions won't change. And if all else fails...pray a rosary?

That is known as presumption.
Quote:I mean both secular rap & metal AND religious Rap and metal. 

Issue 1: As for secular Rap and Metal:  How does one avoid imbibe or absorbing the lyrics; one often does subconsciously or even without realising it?

In my opinion, there is more to it than just the lyrics. The lyrical medium is very significant.

Could you expand on this?  For example are you talking about a music group, say some death metal "Christian" band that has objectively angry yells screaming and droning GOD IS GOOOOOOOD or....  Yeah, could you expand on that a little?  I'm interested.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Secular.. no. No way, most secular music isn't compatible with being Catholic.  It invokes moods and spews lyrics that do not glorify God.  Why should we invite anything delibrerately unGodly to affect us like that?  .  While metal was always a good rage outlet for me, the lyrics are completely incompatible with Christian life.  My favorite song before my conversion was Aenima by Tool... as much as I somewhat agree with it and love the music, both Tool and the song are opposed to my faith. I cannot ignore the lyrics.

Religious.. yes, as long as it's not hyped up commercialized crap that does nothing but glorify the "artists".  The first video is normal college stuff, and edifying because of what the poet/rapper is singing about.  It's about Jesus, not him.  I don't know why people on these boards are making such a big deal about it, there are much much worse things that go on daily on secularized catholic campuses, and it wasn't during Mass!  Primitive beats do not necessarily inspire lewd behavior.  At the club maybe, but in my living room it inspires my children to dance around and laugh, a beautiful thing to see.  It's really a meat sacrificed to idols type of thing, if you got a problem with it I won't play it at my house when you're over, but don't tell me it's wrong because for me, it's not.
(04-13-2011, 08:53 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: I've often wondered what ones sees when u read LOL backwords
kinda creepy

Doesn't LOL backwards say "I buried Paul"?
(04-13-2011, 08:50 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 08:45 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 08:42 PM)Lavalliere Wrote: Maybe the question that needs to be asked is whether it is compatible with developing an interior life, and the answer is a resounding NO!

I disagree.  Music can be a great distraction

That is part of the problem.

Quote: and a creative outlet

Creativity is only good if it is ordered to a good end. Not all creativity is good.

Quote: and if it isn't unhealthy it can have a positive impact on person.

Yes, but it's unhealthiness is the very thing in question.

Presupposing the music is healthy, which I am because I'm a hip hop fan and have a fair collection of hip hop that doesn't mention promiscuity sex drugs guns or violence then I don't see the problem.  No different than listening to any other objectively neutral form  of music- provided its objectively neutral.  I'm not arguing on behalf of obscene music.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(04-13-2011, 08:55 PM)KBernadette Wrote: The first video is normal college stuff,

I've been to college.  They generally aren't singing about Jesus in the student areas.  Trust me on that.
(04-13-2011, 08:57 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Presupposing the music is healthy, which I am because I'm a hip hop fan and have a fair collection of hip hop that doesn't mention promiscuity sex drugs guns or violence then I don't see the problem.  No different than listening to any other objectively neutral form  of music- provided its objectively neutral.  I'm not arguing on behalf of obscene music.

What is "obscene"?

(04-13-2011, 08:59 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 08:55 PM)KBernadette Wrote: The first video is normal college stuff,

I've been to college.  They generally aren't singing about Jesus in the student areas.  Trust me on that.

Sure they are. Unfortunately it is in mockery and blasphemy.
(04-13-2011, 08:59 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:

I meant the whole rap/poetry slam type of thing.  It's what a lot of kids that age do.  Good to see it being about Jesus rather than drugs and sexual conquests.