Is Rap and Metal compatible with being Catholic?
Rap and Metal foster a worldly spirit at best and lead to inflamed passions at worst. ©rap can't really even be considered music; just a bunch of profanity with a mind-numbing beat in the background.

Speaking as a former metal-head who still indulges in a little old school Metallica once in a great while, I can say that metal serves no purpose other then to rile yourself up and give you an emotional outlet that would be better channeled towards prayer or some other useful work.

I've taken up Bluegrass, Country and (some)New Age music. Much more soothing.
(04-13-2011, 09:15 PM)username123 Wrote: Rap and Metal foster a worldly spirit at best and lead to inflamed passions at worst. ©rap can't really even be considered music; just a bunch of profanity with a mind-numbing beat in the background.

Speaking as a former metal-head who still indulges in a little old school Metallica once in a great while, I can say that metal serves no purpose other then to rile yourself up and give you an emotional outlet that would be better channeled towards prayer or some other useful work.
Metallica isn't metal.

Quote:I've taken up Bluegrass, Country and (some)New Age music. Much more soothing.

Read your post again.

You state metal/rap are bad because of how your body and mind react to it "rile yourself up" and you condemn it because you found something more worthwhile. Yet, you go to another outlet because it is "soothing", ie, how your flesh reacts to you.

You are indulging in the same thing, in a different way.
(04-13-2011, 08:07 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: YES: The idea is to redeem and sanctify everything in creation. Anything conceivably valid could be used to glorify God.

BUT!

NO: Cheesy shit like this is just lame and is an affront to the beauty of God, in my opinion. So God redeeming creation is not an excuse to do any silly nonsense in His name.

And anyways, I don't understand the desire to ape the world's culture, badly. I'd rather spend my time resurrecting 1962 Vespers in Gregorian chant with peers.

This.

I'm a longtime fan of Metal music (IRON MAIDENNNNNNNNN!!!!11 \m/) and I do not oppose bands writing lyrics with Christian themes (so long as their behavior in general is also Christian). But I don't consider it the be-all and end-all of musical art; the great composers strike much nearer to that mark. So-called "classical" music, I believe, is objectively superior to any other musical form (though of course "classical" covers a variety of actual forms, but I digress), Metal included.

As musical forms, Metal and Rap and anything else is amoral, without an inherent morality. The behavior of individual musicians with respect to their bands and so forth determines the morality (or lack thereof) a particular band, etc, will have.

Quote:You are using "music" to refer to lyrics alone. But music is more than only lyrics. "Music" is much more broad and is usually used to denote the tonal and rhythmic qualities of instruments (which can include the voice, but is not the same as the meaning of the lyrics). So, saying the music is healthy is not referring to lyrics so much as it is to the tonal and rhythmic qualities of sound-producing instruments.

No I'm not

Quote:Objectively neutral in reference to its use or its nature? Something that is objectively neutral by its nature can be used to further either a good end or a bad end: the former tends to the glory of God; the latter tends toward the glory of self.

Both I suppose but I was more referring to the nature.  It may lend glory to the artist but that is of the artists cognizance, not the listeners.  It can be used to glorify the self but it isn't a one stop to that.  I'm keen on writing and I often listens to music while I do (it may be the mass, chant, hip hop or classic rock, depends) and it helps to probe my creativity. 
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(04-13-2011, 09:15 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 09:12 PM)alegare21 Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 08:53 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 08:46 PM)alegare21 Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 08:17 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: I mean both secular rap & metal AND religious Rap and metal. 

Issue 1: As for secular Rap and Metal:  How does one avoid imbibe or absorbing the lyrics; one often does subconsciously or even without realising it?

How do you avoid absorbing the lyrics? Well if I hear a rap song that is saying stuff about going out and having sex with random girls, I know that action is sinful so I don't do it. And I wouldn't worry about subconsciously absorbing the bad lyrics.

Why would a person who truly loves God take pleasure in something that so heartily offends Him?

Quote:If your morals are in check, your actions won't change. And if all else fails...pray a rosary?

That is known as presumption.

I don't really listen to the lyrics much at all. I listen to the beat. Is that offensive to God?

I guess it depends on how awful the lyrics are.  You can't completely ignore them.

I listen to Pitbull and I ignore his lyrics. If you can do that, anything is possible lol
(04-13-2011, 09:12 PM)alegare21 Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 08:53 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 08:46 PM)alegare21 Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 08:17 PM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: I mean both secular rap & metal AND religious Rap and metal. 

Issue 1: As for secular Rap and Metal:  How does one avoid imbibe or absorbing the lyrics; one often does subconsciously or even without realising it?

How do you avoid absorbing the lyrics? Well if I hear a rap song that is saying stuff about going out and having sex with random girls, I know that action is sinful so I don't do it. And I wouldn't worry about subconsciously absorbing the bad lyrics.

Why would a person who truly loves God take pleasure in something that so heartily offends Him?

Quote:If your morals are in check, your actions won't change. And if all else fails...pray a rosary?

That is known as presumption.

I don't really listen to the lyrics much at all. I listen to the beat. Is that offensive to God?

It could be. If it distracts you from Him by accenting that which impedes progress toward Him, then I don't see how it couldn't be.

All recreation should be done for the glory of God.
(04-13-2011, 09:15 PM)username123 Wrote: Rap and Metal foster a worldly spirit at best and lead to inflamed passions at worst. ©rap can't really even be considered music; just a bunch of profanity with a mind-numbing beat in the background.

I've taken up Bluegrass, Country and (some)New Age music. Much more soothing.

Just to clarify, rap isn't music its the vocal delivery of hip hop.  And it is music, isn't exclusively profane and in my expereince involves much more work than country (at least in the mainstream) because of the length and fit. 

I listen to bluegrass and hip hop.  Often in the same 15 minutes.  What does that make me? :o

And ditto what ros said.

Go thy ways, old Jack;

vs

Quote:I've taken up Bluegrass, Country and (some)New Age music. Much more soothing.

This doesn't sound like you're going for something holier, it sounds like you found a different worldly indulgence.  If you want holy, listen to chant and sacred polyphony, or at least classical music. Substituting one form of profane music for another is just rationalizing it.

Really, I think all that really objectively happened when you switched from metal to new age is your testicles shriveled up. :metal:
(04-13-2011, 09:21 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
Quote:Objectively neutral in reference to its use or its nature? Something that is objectively neutral by its nature can be used to further either a good end or a bad end: the former tends to the glory of God; the latter tends toward the glory of self.

Both I suppose but I was more referring to the nature.  It may lend glory to the artist but that is of the artists cognizance, not the listeners.  It can be used to glorify the self but it isn't a one stop to that.  I'm keen on writing and I often listens to music while I do (it may be the mass, chant, hip hop or classic rock, depends) and it helps to probe my creativity. 

I think you should examine your own motives for listening to it in the same way we should all examine our motives for everything that we do. We often learn that we are doing things for selfish reasons because we want to do them. We then justify them so as to convince ourselves we are doing them for O.K. reasons.
(04-13-2011, 09:28 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 09:21 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

I think you should examine your own motives for listening to it in the same way we should all examine our motives for everything that we do. We often learn that we are doing things for selfish reasons because we want to do them. We then justify them so as to convince ourselves we are doing them for O.K. reasons.

Thats why my music collection is significantly smaller than it used to be.  :)

Go thy ways, old Jack;