Is Rap and Metal compatible with being Catholic?
(04-13-2011, 09:41 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 09:28 PM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 09:21 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
Quote:Objectively neutral in reference to its use or its nature? Something that is objectively neutral by its nature can be used to further either a good end or a bad end: the former tends to the glory of God; the latter tends toward the glory of self.

Both I suppose but I was more referring to the nature.  It may lend glory to the artist but that is of the artists cognizance, not the listeners.  It can be used to glorify the self but it isn't a one stop to that.  I'm keen on writing and I often listens to music while I do (it may be the mass, chant, hip hop or classic rock, depends) and it helps to probe my creativity. 

I think you should examine your own motives for listening to it in the same way we should all examine our motives for everything that we do. We often learn that we are doing things for selfish reasons because we want to do them. We then justify them so as to convince ourselves we are doing them for O.K. reasons.

Thats why my music collection is significantly smaller than it used to be.  :)

Same here.  :)
:cheers:  Since there's no high five emoticon.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.

I know this will get panned mercilessly, but I likes it!  :metal:
BM: Congratulations, You've successfully, assassinated my thread!  :D  Keep up the :pazzo: !
(04-13-2011, 09:18 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(04-13-2011, 09:15 PM)username123 Wrote: Rap and Metal foster a worldly spirit at best and lead to inflamed passions at worst. ©rap can't really even be considered music; just a bunch of profanity with a mind-numbing beat in the background.

Speaking as a former metal-head who still indulges in a little old school Metallica once in a great while, I can say that metal serves no purpose other then to rile yourself up and give you an emotional outlet that would be better channeled towards prayer or some other useful work.
Metallica isn't metal.

Quote:I've taken up Bluegrass, Country and (some)New Age music. Much more soothing.

Read your post again.

You state metal/rap are bad because of how your body and mind react to it "rile yourself up" and you condemn it because you found something more worthwhile. Yet, you go to another outlet because it is "soothing", ie, how your flesh reacts to you.

You are indulging in the same thing, in a different way.

I'm curious. If Metallica isn't metal, then what is it?

As to your point I must say that I disagree. Being revved up on adrenaline from listening to metal puts you in much closer proximity to sinning then being relaxed or distracted in a non-passionate way from listening to Alan Jackson, Earl Scruggs or nature sounds for that matter. I really can't see the correlation here.
So later Metallica is more hard rock than metal but I don't see how something like, say, Ride the Lightning ain't metal.

(04-15-2011, 12:49 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: So later Metallica is more hard rock than metal but I don't see how something like, say, Ride the Lightning ain't metal.

An admitted guilty pleasure. This and Harvester of Sorrow are my favorite Metallica songs.
Creeping death relates biblical events, at least.

As the players hit the ice for the 2nd & 3rd periods, Montreal Canadiens play "For whom the bell tolls" from the same album
(04-14-2011, 05:58 AM)username123 Wrote: I'm curious. If Metallica isn't metal, then what is it?
Pop music formed by people who want to be seen as metal.

Quote:As to your point I must say that I disagree. Being revved up on adrenaline from listening to metal puts you in much closer proximity to sinning then being relaxed or distracted in a non-passionate way from listening to Alan Jackson, Earl Scruggs or nature sounds for that matter. I really can't see the correlation here.
So, you think listening to a driving instrumental metal song causes more spiritual damage than soaking in the filth John Lennon sings in "Imagine"?

That is what is more harmful. The ideas which people relax to.

Now, compare this to Metallica songs to see the difference, and compare the lyrics to the other lyrics of songs.
(04-15-2011, 04:16 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(04-14-2011, 05:58 AM)username123 Wrote: I'm curious. If Metallica isn't metal, then what is it?
Pop music formed by people who want to be seen as metal.

That's more of a value judgment than a technical opinion. "Pop" isn't really a style of music... it's more of a argument to say that any style of music can exist in a "pop" form or an "art" form.