Is Rap and Metal compatible with being Catholic?
(04-15-2011, 05:06 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(04-15-2011, 04:16 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(04-14-2011, 05:58 AM)username123 Wrote: I'm curious. If Metallica isn't metal, then what is it?
Pop music formed by people who want to be seen as metal.

That's more of a value judgment than a technical opinion. "Pop" isn't really a style of music... it's more of a argument to say that any style of music can exist in a "pop" form or an "art" form.
Exactly.

(04-15-2011, 04:16 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(04-14-2011, 05:58 AM)username123 Wrote: I'm curious. If Metallica isn't metal, then what is it?
Pop music formed by people who want to be seen as metal.

Quote:As to your point I must say that I disagree. Being revved up on adrenaline from listening to metal puts you in much closer proximity to sinning then being relaxed or distracted in a non-passionate way from listening to Alan Jackson, Earl Scruggs or nature sounds for that matter. I really can't see the correlation here.
So, you think listening to a driving instrumental metal song causes more spiritual damage than soaking in the filth John Lennon sings in "Imagine"?

That is what is more harmful. The ideas which people relax to.

Now, compare this to Metallica songs to see the difference, and compare the lyrics to the other lyrics of songs.

Well now you've lost me. I never stated that I listen to John Lennon. For the record I don't like his or the Beatles music either. Perhaps I'm just too dumb to follow your train of thought here, if you have one.

And I can truthfully say that you are the first person I have ever heard refer to Metallica as "pop." I would consider everything after 1992 to be substandard to say the least.
Rosie takes a little gettin' used to. I got 3K posts and I still ain't used to 'im
(04-15-2011, 06:06 PM)username123 Wrote: Well now you've lost me. I never stated that I listen to John Lennon. For the record I don't like his or the Beatles music either. Perhaps I'm just too dumb to follow your train of thought here, if you have one.
I didn't say you did. I was pointing out that the meaning of a song could be more important than the physical reaction. "Washington is Next" is not very relaxing. "Imagine" is. But I think there is much more harm in one over the other.

Quote:And I can truthfully say that you are the first person I have ever heard refer to Metallica as "pop." I would consider everything after 1992 to be substandard to say the least.
When it comes to discussions about Metal, picking the least metal band for example makes discussion difficult.

I am not the first person I heard refer to it as such.

Anyway, forget Metallica. This is about principles. If individual examples are not useful, ignore them.

I can't believe rap and metal can be appropriate when used in an activity that should be considered prayerful.  If one should ever fall in love, the beloved might expect him to express his love with the utmost tenderness, expressing himself in the most beautiful way possible in order to match the exalted sentiment he is expressing.  What would a lady think if her suitor would scream "I love you" rudely at the top of his lungs?  It is not all about the message, the delivery counts too. What does God think when we scream his praises?  Makes no sense to me.  Music, particularly sacred music, should be uplifting to the soul.  It is inappropriate to excite the base passions when praising God in song.
(04-15-2011, 07:46 PM)Longinus Wrote: Music, particularly sacred music, should be uplifting to the soul.  It is inappropriate to excite the base passions when praising God in song.

Well said.
(04-15-2011, 07:46 PM)Longinus Wrote: I can't believe rap and metal can be appropriate when used in an activity that should be considered prayerful.  If one should ever fall in love, the beloved might expect him to express his love with the utmost tenderness, expressing himself in the most beautiful way possible in order to match the exalted sentiment he is expressing.  What would a lady think if her suitor would scream "I love you" rudely at the top of his lungs?  It is not all about the message, the delivery counts too. What does God think when we scream his praises?  Makes no sense to me.  Music, particularly sacred music, should be uplifting to the soul.  It is inappropriate to excite the base passions when praising God in song.

Indeed - well put :)
Rap is not music - whatever it is, it is *not* music (this from a classic rock guy lol)

I will say that one of the most difficult, yet helpful things I've done for my interior life is to give up my music all together about 4 years ago. Man how I miss my Pink Floyd, Styx, Ted Nugent and on and on. But they're not for me. I will say that it is obvious to all that prayer, or thoughts of heaven is absolutely the last thing on your mind when "that song" is playing.

Among other noted Catholic speakers, Fr. O'Connor talks about the dangers of modern music, especially the dangers it poses to children, teens and young adults. Even songs that are seemingly harmless - or are completely innocent - will, for a time at least, take your thoughts away from God and put them in a place they should avoid, namely, away from God.

Consider this "harmless song" - - - -please listen to it before you google it's meaning.........

Modern music (I consider even Oldies/Classic Rock etc. "modern") has some effect on everyone, and it effects everyone differently - but it does have an effect.

Please do not let it effect your interior life - better to give it up completely.
lol, I just now watched the vid - no need to google it's meaning I guess.
(04-16-2011, 04:02 PM)Stubborn Wrote: Rap is not music - whatever it is, it is *not* music (this from a classic rock guy lol)

I will say that one of the most difficult, yet helpful things I've done for my interior life is to give up my music all together about 4 years ago. Man how I miss my Pink Floyd, Styx, Ted Nugent and on and on. But they're not for me. I will say that it is obvious to all that prayer, or thoughts of heaven is absolutely the last thing on your mind when "that song" is playing.

Among other noted Catholic speakers, Fr. O'Connor talks about the dangers of modern music, especially the dangers it poses to children, teens and young adults. Even songs that are seemingly harmless - or are completely innocent - will, for a time at least, take your thoughts away from God and put them in a place they should avoid, namely, away from God.

Consider this "harmless song" - - - -please listen to it before you google it's meaning.........

Modern music (I consider even Oldies/Classic Rock etc. "modern") has some effect on everyone, and it effects everyone differently - but it does have an effect.

Please do not let it effect your interior life - better to give it up completely.
What was your favorite Floyd album?