Why not EMHC's
(04-14-2011, 10:33 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(04-14-2011, 10:19 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I would ask, why does anyone need to receive Communion every day? True, Saint Pius X promoted it. But before him, most people received only once or a few times a year.

St. Pius X did have a point about the faithful needing the graces of holy Communion. Unfortunately, I think his plan backfired in the long run: now a lot of people not only receive no grace from the reception of holy Communion, they also commit a sacrilege due to reception while in the state of mortal sin. I'd say that the custom during the first half of the 20th century is probably most ideal: those who have gone to confession within the last week or so go to Communion (which could be half of the attendees at any particular Mass) while the rest of us who haven't stay back and say that we accidentally ate something after midnight if questioned.

+1,000,000

This was a huge turn off for me at my NO. For a while I was going to confession 2-3 times a week, receiving daily communion but there was an impossible ratio of penitents to communicants, and I was in a position to judge since, as I say, I was attending lots of masses. A trickle in the confession box but virtualy EVERYONE receives the host. Insane. At least at the TLM there is a huge line to the confessional, and the same people are clearly in the line every week.
The liturgical deform already under way in the sixteenth century was already beginning to take hold at the end of the nineteenth, the "reforms" of PX were part of that overall trajectory.
Ahh, the clear path of radical traditionalism is on full display in this thread.  The evil infection of the church started at VII! Oh no, wait it started with Saint Pius X! Oh no wait it started in the 16th century! Oh no. I've got to leave the Church because everything wasn't hunky dorey from start! 

Its funny how this path smells a lot like Jansensim. Don't any of you dare receive Holy Communion unless you are absolutely pure and guiltless! Let's not encourage frequent communion with and also encourage more frequent confession and better preaching on sin from pulpit, instead lets stick our nose up at everyone and encourage very limited communion, lets deny the sick among us the reception of the Divine physician!

NorthernTrad, are you the cookie monster? You seem to be an expert on cookies and what is a cookie and what is Our Lord Jesus Christ  :laughing:
I see, JPII's taken a beating these last few weeks, lets give him a breather and pound on Saint Pius X a little bit :jabs:, just so long as we pound on him and not the society that bears his name because that would be against the unwritten rules of Fisheaters.  :readrules:
Butt diagnosis: butt-frustrated.

I'm hardly a Jansenist. I don't have the temperament for that sort of mentality. I was only saying that the supply doesn't meet the demand under the Communion-always plan. Too many communicants, not enough clerics to serve everyone.
HK, I'm not accusing you in particular of anything. 
(04-15-2011, 01:29 PM)AxxeArp Wrote: Its funny how this path smells a lot like Jansensim. Don't any of you dare receive Holy Communion unless you are absolutely pure and guiltless! Let's not encourage frequent communion with and also encourage more frequent confession and better preaching on sin from pulpit, instead lets stick our nose up at everyone and encourage very limited communion, lets deny the sick among us the reception of the Divine physician!

"Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord. But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord." (1 Cor 11:27-29)

The frequence of eucharistic sacrileges today is greater than ever. Only someone willfully blind would deny it. Whilst there are undeniable benefits for a soul who practices frequent communion, this is ONLY IF it's done properly. The obvious argument here is that it's seldom done. Even the liturgy itself has suffered from this obsession about frequent communion and many faithful feel that they haven't been to mass if they don't receive communion.

It's a sad state of affairs.

"Let them alone: they are blind, and leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into the pit." (Matt 15:14)
(04-15-2011, 01:29 PM)AxxeArp Wrote: Ahh, the clear path of radical traditionalism is on full display in this thread.  The evil infection of the church started at VII! Oh no, wait it started with Saint Pius X! Oh no wait it started in the 16th century! Oh no. I've got to leave the Church because everything wasn't hunky dorey from start! 

Its funny how this path smells a lot like Jansensim. Don't any of you dare receive Holy Communion unless you are absolutely pure and guiltless! Let's not encourage frequent communion with and also encourage more frequent confession and better preaching on sin from pulpit, instead lets stick our nose up at everyone and encourage very limited communion, lets deny the sick among us the reception of the Divine physician!

Hogwash ... Pius X was a great and saintly and sainted Pope, but that doesn't mean every decision he made worked out.  Clearly he wanted to promote frequent worthy reception.

If I went back in time and asked him "Do you want to promote frequent reception even if the faithful don't go to confession more, actually go less, and have a much more muddled sense of sin"  do you think he would say yes?

We must discourage frequent communion right now because we have an obligation to prevent sacrilege and save souls.  If by some great miracle people actually return to confession in droves and live holier lives (with God it is possible), then we could more prudently encourage those penitents to receive more often.

I myself receive Communion very very frequently by some historical standards - more then once a month, sometimes even weekly.  But only if I've gone to confession in the last few days, and only if I have fasted from midnight (or 3 hrs if it's an evening Mass), and only if I have prepared with setting aside time specifically for prayer to receive worthily (in addition to regular morning / daily prayer), and I make sure to make a thanksgiving after receiving.

The average Catholic would consider my practice before receiving Communion to be bizarre and confusing ... but really it should be the minimum for us all, no?  If a miserable sinner like me can do it, most people can probably do even better to show respect to Our Lord and receive worthily.
(04-15-2011, 01:55 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(04-15-2011, 01:29 PM)AxxeArp Wrote: Ahh, the clear path of radical traditionalism is on full display in this thread.  The evil infection of the church started at VII! Oh no, wait it started with Saint Pius X! Oh no wait it started in the 16th century! Oh no. I've got to leave the Church because everything wasn't hunky dorey from start! 

Hogwash ... Pius X was a great and saintly and sainted Pope, but that doesn't mean every decision he made worked out.  Clearly he wanted to promote frequent worthy reception.

If I went back in time and asked him "Do you want to promote frequent reception even if the faithful don't go to confession more, actually go less, and have a much more muddled sense of sin"  do you think he would say yes?

We must discourage frequent communion right now because we have an obligation to prevent sacrilege and save souls.  If by some great miracle people actually return to confession in droves and live holier lives (with God it is possible), then we could more prudently encourage those penitents to receive more often.

I myself receive Communion very very frequently by some historical standards - more then once a month, sometimes even weekly.  But only if I've gone to confession in the last few days, and only if I have fasted from midnight (or 3 hrs if it's an evening Mass), and only if I have prepared with setting aside time specifically for prayer to receive worthily (in addition to regular morning / daily prayer), and I make sure to make a thanksgiving after receiving.

The average Catholic would consider my practice before receiving Communion to be bizarre and confusing ... but really it should be the minimum for us all, no?  If a miserable sinner like me can do it, most people can probably do even better to show respect to Our Lord and receive worthily.

I converted in ninth grade and went to a Catholic high school.  Sometimes at our school masses I wouldn't receive for various reasons.  The only other people who didn't receive every time were Protestants and Jews.  Other kids would actually ask me why I didn't receive. 

I think most Catholics believe not only that they may receive every week no matter the circumstances, but rather that they are supposed to.  They were confused as to why any Catholic wouldn't receive.  I think maybe some of them thought I'd renounced the faith and was going back to be a Protestant, because they were the only ones who didn't receive.

People are culpable for knowing what they ought to about the faith, but the mentality has been thoroughly drilled into Catholics from a young age.  Not receiving communion is something that makes you stand out, thus people receive because it is the thing to do.

Only continuous preaching on confession and worthy reception will change this state of affairs.