Italian Butcher Arrested for Selling Decade-Old Meat
(04-16-2011, 07:01 PM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote:
(04-16-2011, 02:58 PM)wallflower Wrote: Ew, ew, ew! How awful!

I can't imagine anyone ate it. I mean the smell...people must have known it was bad, regardless of the dates.

Ew! I bet the Honey Badger would eat it, 'cause he don't give a *#!@ !!!

:laughing: :laughing: I couldn't even make it through that! Once he passed out and went back for more snake, I just couldn't stomach it.
Isn't that why they invented curry?
(04-16-2011, 07:13 PM)CaoimhinPConnell Wrote: Isn't that why they invented curry?

Actually, yeah.  I mean, it's exaggerated how much bad meat was eaten, but certainly stuff would be eaten more "off" than we would  probably consider doing and they needed to disguise it.  Also, the forms of preservation available (usually salt and smoke - the Romans actually did something with rotting fish that I wouldn't want to eat) left strong tastes and people would want to hide that as well.  I mean, eating jerky every day would get boring (not to me, but...).

(04-16-2011, 07:08 PM)wallflower Wrote:
(04-16-2011, 07:01 PM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote:
(04-16-2011, 02:58 PM)wallflower Wrote: Ew, ew, ew! How awful!

I can't imagine anyone ate it. I mean the smell...people must have known it was bad, regardless of the dates.

Ew! I bet the Honey Badger would eat it, 'cause he don't give a *#!@ !!!

:laughing: :laughing: I couldn't even make it through that! Once he passed out and went back for more snake, I just couldn't stomach it.

I'm glad I could contribute something lasting to Fisheaters forum.
(04-16-2011, 07:20 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-16-2011, 07:13 PM)CaoimhinPConnell Wrote: Isn't that why they invented curry?

Actually, yeah.  I mean, it's exaggerated how much bad meat was eaten, but certainly stuff would be eaten more "off" than we would  probably consider doing and they needed to disguise it.  Also, the forms of preservation available (usually salt and smoke - the Romans actually did something with rotting fish that I wouldn't want to eat) left strong tastes and people would want to hide that as well.  I mean, eating jerky every day would get boring (not to me, but...).

A couple of my buddies and I flew into Nadi, Fiji.  We were going to an outer island surf camp called Tavarua.  We took a cab from the airport which was driven by an Indian, like every cab in Fiji.  We asked him to take us to his favorite place to get curry.  I ordered lamb curry.  What I got could have only been a roadkill goat that they picked up off the side of the road that morning.  I chocked it down and survived.  The curry sauce was a burn two time number so it must have had some germ killing quality to it.

Quis, the Romans used garum which was a fermented fish sauce.  It was very similar to Vietnamese nouc mam or patis here in the Philippines. You would be surprised how delicious it is.  We use it in many soups and stews and also as a dipping sauce.
(04-16-2011, 07:51 PM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote: Quis, the Romans used garum which was a fermented fish sauce.

That's it!  Thank you, I forgot the name.
(04-16-2011, 07:04 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: Disappointing.  I would expect a fellow Italian, of all people, to have more respect for food.

He was from Naples.  :P (My mother is from Massa-Carrara.)
Is that fish stuff the kind that the people lay the fish on their slanted tin rooves for days and catch the drippings as a sauce?  That's the worst thing I can imagine eating.
(04-17-2011, 03:06 AM)dymphna17 Wrote: Is that fish stuff the kind that the people lay the fish on their slanted tin rooves for days and catch the drippings as a sauce?  That's the worst thing I can imagine eating.

Oh, I bet I can think of stuff you would find worse....  :laughing:
(04-17-2011, 03:06 AM)dymphna17 Wrote: Is that fish stuff the kind that the people lay the fish on their slanted tin rooves for days and catch the drippings as a sauce?  That's the worst thing I can imagine eating.

:shrug:  I love the stuff...  Here's how it's made.