Italian Butcher Arrested for Selling Decade-Old Meat
Ag nerd.  ;D

I got it bad in Ven.  Probably was the salad. It was bad.
(04-17-2011, 03:56 AM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 03:06 AM)dymphna17 Wrote: Is that fish stuff the kind that the people lay the fish on their slanted tin rooves for days and catch the drippings as a sauce?  That's the worst thing I can imagine eating.

:shrug:  I love the stuff...  Here's how it's made.

That's it!  That is d i s g u s t i n g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No way could I intentionally eat that.  And yes, I will have a very hard time when the stuffing hits the fan.  Although I have a fantastic accumulation of soap.  :laughing:
(04-17-2011, 12:03 PM)timoose Wrote: Here's another little something about old meat. The image we have from the TV program Wagon Tain is the barrel on the sides of the covered wagons contained water. It ain't so; they contained animal fat. They deep fried all the old mouldy meat in the fat to avoid becoming sick.

I know that Afrikaners during the great trek would cure with salt spices and vinaigre any kind of meat they could kill on the veld and dry it out in their wagons while on the move. Called "biltong" pretty good. like jerky but more fleshy.

Seems like a better way than eating mouldy meat...
(04-18-2011, 09:00 PM)dymphna17 Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 03:56 AM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 03:06 AM)dymphna17 Wrote: Is that fish stuff the kind that the people lay the fish on their slanted tin rooves for days and catch the drippings as a sauce?  That's the worst thing I can imagine eating.

:shrug:  I love the stuff...  Here's how it's made.

That's it!  That is d i s g u s t i n g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No way could I intentionally eat that.  And yes, I will have a very hard time when the stuffing hits the fan.  Although I have a fantastic accumulation of soap.  :laughing:

If you've ever eaten any Thai, Vietnamese or Filipino food you have probably already eaten some.  :o
I think I've had that fish sauce. Not bad at all.
(04-16-2011, 07:51 PM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote:
(04-16-2011, 07:20 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(04-16-2011, 07:13 PM)CaoimhinPConnell Wrote: Isn't that why they invented curry?

Actually, yeah.  I mean, it's exaggerated how much bad meat was eaten, but certainly stuff would be eaten more "off" than we would  probably consider doing and they needed to disguise it.  Also, the forms of preservation available (usually salt and smoke - the Romans actually did something with rotting fish that I wouldn't want to eat) left strong tastes and people would want to hide that as well.  I mean, eating jerky every day would get boring (not to me, but...).

A couple of my buddies and I flew into Nadi, Fiji.  We were going to an outer island surf camp called Tavarua.  We took a cab from the airport which was driven by an Indian, like every cab in Fiji.  We asked him to take us to his favorite place to get curry.  I ordered lamb curry.  What I got could have only been a roadkill goat that they picked up off the side of the road that morning.  I chocked it down and survived.  The curry sauce was a burn two time number so it must have had some germ killing quality to it.

Quis, the Romans used garum which was a fermented fish sauce.  It was very similar to Vietnamese nouc mam or patis here in the Philippines. You would be surprised how delicious it is.  We use it in many soups and stews and also as a dipping sauce.

:puke: :puke: :puke:

The one time I accidentally ate that stuff...oh good Lord in heaven.  I have never prayed to die so much in my life as I did that night, I was so sick.  Then again, I'm allergic to fish, but still.  It wasn't tasty, either. 
(04-18-2011, 10:29 PM)Satori Wrote: I think I've had that fish sauce. Not bad at all.

I cook Thai food and have a bottle in my house right now.  (Not going to watch the video on youtube, though, because I enjoy it too much.  Some things I'm better off not knowing how they are made.) 
Vietnamese use it, too !

tim