Vestments for Palm Sunday
Just back from Mass.  My legs are killing me from that Gospel  :laughing:.

I have a question regarding vestments for Palm Sunday.  The regular priest who celebrates Mass took a bad fall earlier in the week (he's getting on in years) and couldn't celebrate today.  So the younger priest, who's still learning the Mass, took over.  But there was a bit of confusion on the vestments.  Whether or not they were to be red or violet.  Neither the priest nor the senior server knew and the plan was red-cope for the blessing of the palms etc., and then change into violet.

However I was quite adamant about the vestments being solely red through the Mass.  I believe that violet should only be substituted for red when red isn't available and likewise for Laetare Sunday and rose vestments.  So we went with red.

Was I right?
(04-17-2011, 07:53 AM)City Smurf Wrote: But there was a bit of confusion on the vestments.  Whether or not they were to be red or violet.  Neither the priest nor the senior server knew and the plan was red-cope for the blessing of the palms etc., and then change into violet.
This is how I have always seen it done at the FSSP. This also seems logical to me, as the second gospel (inside the Church) is actually the passion, to which red is unfitting. If in doubt, it should be explained somewhere (in the missal?).
I believe this is one of those things which were changed by the Bugnini reforms of '55.  Originally, I think the vestments were all violet.  Some other FEs know better this question.

There being a bit of confusion on Palm Sunday is something I sympathize with.  Holy Week is quite confusing because of all the rubrical changes that took place in the 50s and 60s.
[Image: mass2.jpg]
[Image: cope.jpg]
At St. Francis de Sales Oratory (ICRSS, St. Louis, MO), the deacon and subdeacon wore golden vestments with red orpheys, and the priest wore a red cope.  After the procession, they changed into "violet" vestments for Mass.  They looked more like a reddish rose to me, but since the subdeacon wore a (non-matching) violet humeral veil during the Canon, I'm assuming that they were intended as violet vestments.

No pictures of those vestments are online yet, but here's a picture of the procession for anyone who would like to see: http://www.romeofthewest.com/2011/04/pal...atory.html

In Christo Rege,
        -Steven
So I was wrong :laughing:?  I think I'll jog down to the local NO next week ;D!
According the rubrics of the Pius XII/Bugnini reform of Palm Sunday in 1955, a red cope is to be worn during the blessing of the palms and the procession. The Priest then devests and changes into violet vestments for the remainder of the Mass.

Prior to these odious reforms, the Priest wore violet vestments for the entirety of the Palm Sunday solemnity. Violet has always been the color used to designate Christ's divine kingship (of which we sing of profusely during the course of the Mass). The change to red makes absolutely no liturgical sense whatsoever. Regardless, the changes in vestments and colors are but the tip of the iceberg.
(04-17-2011, 07:53 AM)City Smurf Wrote: Just back from Mass.  My legs are killing me from that Gospel  :laughing:.

I have a question regarding vestments for Palm Sunday.  The regular priest who celebrates Mass took a bad fall earlier in the week (he's getting on in years) and couldn't celebrate today.  So the younger priest, who's still learning the Mass, took over.  But there was a bit of confusion on the vestments.  Whether or not they were to be red or violet.  Neither the priest nor the senior server knew and the plan was red-cope for the blessing of the palms etc., and then change into violet.

However I was quite adamant about the vestments being solely red through the Mass.  I believe that violet should only be substituted for red when red isn't available and likewise for Laetare Sunday and rose vestments.  So we went with red.

Was I right?

For whatever it may be worth to you, my 1962 missal from Baronius Press says at the section titled The Blessing of Palms, "The Celebrant in red cope, with his ministers also vested in red, the red of royal triumph, proceeds to the Blessing of Palms (or branches of olive or other trees); these are placed in the sanctuary or other suitable place." Then, after the procession with the palms, the missal says, "Mass is now celebrated. The Sacred Ministers change from red to purple vestments for the Mass." And that's what they did at the TLM I attended this morning (diocesan indult).
At the NO vigil Mass I attended last night the priests wore red the whole time, and the altar servers wore red umm....dress thingies with a white thingy over them (sorry, I don't know the terms). I know this is not relevant to your question, just thought I'd share.