St. Casimir/St. Ann - Erie Diocese TLM
I'm hoping there is somebody here who is familiar with the Erie Diocese TLM scene.

On occasion my wife and I are in Erie on a Sunday morning (we do not live in the Erie Diocese) and we attend the diocesan TLM at St. Ann’s when we are there.  We attended the TLM at St. Ann's in Erie this morning.

Back in the late 1990’s the Erie TLM was at St. Casimir’s, which seemed much more suited to the TLM as it still has/had the high altar, communion rail and etc.  In recent years the TLM has been moved to St. Ann’s, which is still beautiful in many ways, but it has been wreckovated to an extent (no communion rail – kneelers are used, Mass is said on the east facing side of a NO table, the side altar’s have been covered over with modern art in their place and etc.). 

I see these two parishes are in a 3 parish cluster, along with Holy Family.  http://www.3parishfamilies.com/old/index.htm

My questions are: Why was the TLM moved from St. Casimir to St. Ann?

Is there a reasonable explanation for the move or was it just a way to kick Trads in the teeth for sport?
Well... Bp. Trautman isn't too keen on the TLM.  We lost the other diocesan TLM in Saegertown, so St. Ann's is it.
I have no idea why it was moved. Maybe the TLM community was larger closer to St. Ann's?
(04-17-2011, 08:32 PM)PatienceAndLove Wrote: Well... Bp. Trautman isn't too keen on the TLM. 

I agree with you there, PatienceAndLove!  Bishop Trautman is no friend of Trads.

Trautman become bishop of Erie in 1990 and the TLM was at St. Casimir's to at least 2000 or so.  I'm just trying to figure out why it was moved to what is, in my opinion, a less desirable location.  However, the answer could very simply be "Trautman".   Is it that simple, or is there more to it?  I'm really curious.
(04-17-2011, 08:32 PM)PatienceAndLove Wrote: We lost the other diocesan TLM in Saegertown, so St. Ann's is it.

I wasn't aware of the loss of the Saegertown Mass.  I hate to hear that!
(04-17-2011, 09:01 PM)piusx1914 Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 08:32 PM)PatienceAndLove Wrote: We lost the other diocesan TLM in Saegertown, so St. Ann's is it.

Esp since I live in Meadville, and I already drive from here to Harborcreek everyday!
(04-17-2011, 09:04 PM)PatienceAndLove Wrote:

Esp since I live in Meadville, and I already drive from here to Harborcreek everyday!

I live down in Butler (Pgh Diocese - which only one "ghetto parish" as well, in addition to the SSPX).  My sister lives in Erie which is why I attend the TLM there on occasion.  I attended the Saegertown Mass about  10 years ago.

So why was the Saegertown Mass cancelled?  Was Bp. Trautman behind it? 
(04-18-2011, 11:10 AM)piusx1914 Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 09:04 PM)PatienceAndLove Wrote:

I live down in Butler (Pgh Diocese - which only one "ghetto parish" as well, in addition to the SSPX).  My sister lives in Erie which is why I attend the TLM there on occasion.  I attended the Saegertown Mass about  10 years ago.

So why was the Saegertown Mass cancelled?  Was Bp. Trautman behind it? 

No idea why we lost the Mass at St. Bernadette's. 
When you say "ghetto parish", are you referring to St. Boniface?  I am planning to attend Mass there in the very near future.
(04-18-2011, 05:28 PM)PatienceAndLove Wrote: No idea why we lost the Mass at St. Bernadette's. 
When you say "ghetto parish", are you referring to St. Boniface?  I am planning to attend Mass there in the very near future.

Like I said earlier, I really hated to hear about the end of the TLM at St. Bernadette's.  That is a shame!

I am referring to St. Boniface with the “ghetto parish” comment.  I’m not detracting from the Mass at this location, just the circumstances in which it is offered.  I have no doubt you will experience a great Mass at St. Boniface.  There are a lot of great people there working hard to keep the traditions.  They have a great choir.

When I refer to a "ghetto parish” I mean it in the sense that "there is a single parish for 'those' type of people".  Like in Erie, Trads are treated like they are lepers.  The actions and attitudes from the diocese suggest that we Trads need contained and segregated from the rest of the flock.

When SP came out, I worked for almost 2 years to try to get a TLM in Butler and was shut down by the diocese.  I could write volumes about this experience, and I have a number of theories as to why, but suffice it to say that the diocese wants the TLM contained.  While conditions/attitudes are a little better (not by much) down here than they are up your way, I still believe it is a very unjust situation.

If you haven’t been to St. Boniface I would definitely encourage it, however.  If you haven’t checked it out already, you might want to also try the FSSP parish in Vienna, OH.  I would think that would be a little closer to you than Pittsburgh.

In any case, I think we can both agree that western Pennsylvania is pretty much a barren wasteland when it comes to the TLM.  There are two “approved” Masses from the West Virginia border to the New York border with two SSPX locations within a few miles of each.  It is pathetic!

Let’s pray for a change in circumstances in both our dioceses.  I know that Bp. Trautman turns 75 (mandatory retirement age) on June 24 this year.  That should be a source of joy for those in the Erie Diocese :)  Hopefully things will take a turn for the better once he is gone.
(04-18-2011, 06:14 PM)piusx1914 Wrote:
(04-18-2011, 05:28 PM)PatienceAndLove Wrote: No idea why we lost the Mass at St. Bernadette's. 

Like I said earlier, I really hated to hear about the end of the TLM at St. Bernadette's.  That is a shame!

I am referring to St. Boniface with the “ghetto parish” comment.  I’m not detracting from the Mass at this location, just the circumstances in which it is offered.  I have no doubt you will experience a great Mass at St. Boniface.  There are a lot of great people there working hard to keep the traditions.  They have a great choir.

When I refer to a "ghetto parish” I mean it in the sense that "there is a single parish for 'those' type of people".  Like in Erie, Trads are treated like they are lepers.  The actions and attitudes from the diocese suggest that we Trads need contained and segregated from the rest of the flock.

When SP came out, I worked for almost 2 years to try to get a TLM in Butler and was shut down by the diocese.  I could write volumes about this experience, and I have a number of theories as to why, but suffice it to say that the diocese wants the TLM contained.  While conditions/attitudes are a little better (not by much) down here than they are up your way, I still believe it is a very unjust situation.

If you haven’t been to St. Boniface I would definitely encourage it, however.  If you haven’t checked it out already, you might want to also try the FSSP parish in Vienna, OH.  I would think that would be a little closer to you than Pittsburgh.

In any case, I think we can both agree that western Pennsylvania is pretty much a barren wasteland when it comes to the TLM.  There are two “approved” Masses from the West Virginia border to the New York border with two SSPX locations within a few miles of each.  It is pathetic!

Let’s pray for a change in circumstances in both our dioceses.  I know that Bp. Trautman turns 75 (mandatory retirement age) on June 24 this year.  That should be a source of joy for those in the Erie Diocese :)  Hopefully things will take a turn for the better once he is gone.

All I have heard is much wailing and gnashing of teeth (tho I give him +1 for boycotting the Mercyhurst graduation bc they allowed Hillary to speak during the election) because he is so "wonderful"!  We are "blessed" to have him and Sr. Joan Chisitter in the same diocese!!  ::)