The hidden exodus: Catholics becoming Protestants
http://ncronline.org/news/hidden-exodus-catholics-becoming-protestants?sms_ss=email&at_xt=4dac74e7f88f187b,0

Quote:First, those who are leaving the church for Protestant churches are more interested in spiritual nourishment than doctrinal issues. Tinkering with the wording of the creed at Mass is not going to help. No one except the Vatican and the bishops cares whether Jesus is “one in being” with the Father or “consubstantial” with the Father. That the hierarchy thinks this is important shows how out of it they are

I'm not sure which is more revolting, the conclusions the article comes to, or the comments from "Catholics" at the end of it.
:puke:
NCR...
Quote:"While the hierarchy worries about literal translations of the Latin text, people are longing for liturgies that touch the heart and emotions. More creativity with the liturgy is needed, and that means more flexibility must be allowed. If you build it, they will come; if you do not, they will find it elsewhere. The changes that will go into effect this Advent will make matters worse, not better."

While I'm not surprised that this drivel is coming from a Jesuit, it's pretty disappointing.  Looks like he's advocating that old success-proof approach of making the liturgy more 'relevant' and 'fun.'

St Ignatius, pray for us. :pray:
Alas! I had the same experience in this year's April fools'!
A horrendous article.  Catholics are becoming heretics at an alarming rate! And Prots are abandoning Prot-ism at the same rate as well.  Ex-Catholics become Prots or Agnostics in America.  Ex-Prots generally become Agnostics/irreligious (a small minority become Catholic).

It's just a fudging of numbers.  America used to be 60-70% Prot; over the last few decades, it has declined to 51% Protestant.  American Catholics has remained stagnant and declined to about 22%.  Granted, I am no happier to see Catholics become heretics and this trend does sicken me, It doesn't cover the mass exodus from mainline-Protestantism and from the Evangelical churches.
This is article is dumb. 

"Despite what theologians and bishops think, doctrine is not that important either to those who become Protestant or to those who stay Catholic."

OK so he's not talking about real Catholics then. 

Next, check this unbelievable contradiction:

"Nor are the people becoming Protestants lazy or lax Christians. In fact, they attend worship services at a higher rate than those who remain Catholic. While 42 percent of Catholics who stay attend services weekly, 63 percent of Catholics who become Protestants go to church every week. That is a 21 percentage-point difference... Thus, both as believers and as worshipers, Catholics who become Protestants are statistically better Christians than those who stay Catholic. We are losing the best, not the worst."

"Fifty-four percent of both groups say that they just gradually drifted away from Catholicism."

Since when do "the best" include those who fell into mortal sin thru failure of Sunday obligation?

"Perhaps after marrying a mainline Christian and attending his or her church’s services, the Catholic found the mainline services more fulfilling than the Catholic service. And even if they were equally attractive, perhaps the exclusion of the Protestant spouse from Catholic Communion makes the more welcoming mainline church attractive to an ecumenical couple."

WTF is an "ecumenical couple"?

"First, those who are leaving the church for Protestant churches are more interested in spiritual nourishment than doctrinal issues. "

This is stupid. I think it proves the common wisdom that loss of faith in transubstantiation is the first step out the door. What do these ex-Catholics consider "spiritual nourishment"? They've bought into the historically and theologically unsound belief in Sola Scriptura hook, line and sinker.

When I tell Protestants why I'm a Catholic I discuss the sacraments which are true spiritual nourishment "For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed." John 6:55

Catholic church has real priests who can be used of God to transform bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ and absolve sins. 

Protestants have people pretending to be priests and eat regular bread and grape juice and believing their own faith  procures absolution for themselves. 

I think the catholic church just does a bad job of explaining itself, really. Ecumenism for me is the Catholic getting out there mingling with Protestants to tell them what we offer, which is the real deal. 
The fruits of Vatican II are so ripe now. What is so hard to believe about this unfortunate trend? The post conciliar church has basically equated protestantism with Catholicism, heresy with orthodoxy, Christ with Antichrist. With such skewed lines suddenly redrawn, with such a sweep of novelty in the church, with such a destruction of Tradition, one could easily have predicted this exodus. I fear that these numbers will continue to rise, the numbers of apostates and lapsed heretics, as the years go on. A loss of Tradition, infiltration by masonic and Antichrist's forces within the upper echelons of the Church, and an awful, if not nonexistent catechesis among aspiring faithful, has created the perfect environment for apostasy.  If this trend continues, as I am sure it will, my only prayer is that the remnant of the True Faith become strong in unity. Even if churches must close down, even if faithful numbers are sliced to a small percentage, as long as the sons of God are one, holy, catholic and apostolic, than all will be well.

"I say to you, that he will quickly revenge them. But yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on earth?" - Luke 18:8
Not only is this article dumb, but it's misleading in any number of ways. (In case anyone has forgotten, the author of this article, Thomas Reese, resigned from America Magazine upon the election of Joseph Ratzinger as Pope Benedict XVI.)

For example, he said that only 11% of people left the Church because of the drifting away of practices like the Latin Mass, but what he doesn't say is, is that most of the people who left in recent years had no exposure to the Latin Mass, as it was illegally suppressed for decades. Many of the ones who left because the TLM was suppressed more than likely have died, otherwise the figure would be much higher than 11%.

The ironic part of all of this is, the changes were meant to bring Protestants into the Church and include "more active participation" by the laity, which would presumably help meet their spiritual needs, but it all had, for the most part, the opposite effect. 
(04-19-2011, 08:55 PM)CrusaderKing Wrote: Not only is this article dumb, but it's misleading in any number of ways. (In case anyone has forgotten, the author of this article, Thomas Reese, resigned from America Magazine upon the election of Joseph Ratzinger as Pope Benedict XVI.)

For example, he said that only 11% of people left the Church because of the drifting away of practices like the Latin Mass, but what he doesn't say is, is that most of the people who left in recent years had no exposure to the Latin Mass, as it was illegally suppressed for decades. Many of the ones who left because the TLM was suppressed more than likely have died, otherwise the figure would be much higher than 11%.

The ironic part of all of this is, the changes were meant to bring Protestants into the Church and include "more active participation" by the laity, which would presumably help meet their spiritual needs, but it all had, for the most part, the opposite effect. 

Excellent point, I thought of the Latin figures too as being irrelevant in the present circumstances but huge when the NO was promulgated.

There's no way that Catholic liturgy could even keep up with Protestant concert services. Like where should the guitar solo go, between the Agnus Dei and the Domine, non sum dignus? I mean, the last Evangelical community I attended before converting to Catholicism did indeed have guitar solos. Yes, they did. So this ain't ever a race we should try to fight. I don't even know why they bothered. Plus Sacrosanctum Concilium insists on primacy for gregorian chant anyhoo
I don't care if 90% of the World's Catholics apostasise, I will never do so. Protestantism, Mohammedanism, Paganism, Irreligion, etc. are not the true Religion or true Church that our Divine Saviour Jesus Christ gave us.  And if our Lord wants me to be die for cause of His Holy Roman Catholic Church, I shall gladly receive the Sacrament of Penance and embrace the crown of martyrdom. 

I will not budge or depart from the faith, as the axiom goes, "Come Hell or High Water!"