1983 Code Onlyism
Is it just me, or has anyone else come across folks who have a legalistic take towards the code of canon law, primarily the 1983 code? Traditional groups tend to quote the 1917 code, but they don't seem to have the obsession with canon law as the Vatican II lovers. Everyone knows these people. They pull out the 1983 code for any question as if the Code is black and white for every issue. I have had experiences with the Vatican II crowd in which they can't handle me saying the FSSP lists fasting throughout Lent on their Calenders, even Holy Thursday. According to them, the 1983 Code says Holy Thursday is no longer a fast, so that means we must all eat meat . Same as ember days. If I mention ember days from the traditional calender, the Code comes out and since Fasting isn't proscribed on those days, my calender must be wrong. It's like listening to a priest saying "well Vatican II says" for everything. 
Brain disease.  It's a neo-Catholic thing.  They worship the Pope, think he can do no wrong, and think whatever latest comes out from the Vatican is basically the Holy Spirit speaking directly to us.
Well, they're wrong. It's just not obligatory. It didn't do any good but when Paul VI abrogated a lot of those things which ending up being codified in 1983, he bent over backwards to say that it was still laudable to follow older practices, just that they were no longer required.

But like with chapel veils, as soon folks heard they were supposedly not required they ditched em quicker than spoilt milk. Paul VI's gambit to trade a supposed legalism for "penance from the heart" totally backfired.
This is probably why my parents never said, "Hey kids, we're not going to force you to eat the vegetables...we want you to eat them because you recognise how good they are for you."
(04-20-2011, 10:55 PM)Pheo Wrote: This is probably why my parents never said, "Hey kids, we're not going to force you to eat the vegetables...we want you to eat them because you recognise how good they are for you."
:laughing: Like encouraging me to eat kale and broccoli florets because they are healthy.
Sometimes, unless someone makes you do something, you'll never see the value of it.  Same thing goes with veiling, fast, etc.  And with some folks, it's easier to obey and be told do this and this, than [*cue lispy male voice: "just do what you FEEL is best." [/end lispy male voice]
Great example of overly relying on the CCL on FE by way of user (troll) OldMan here.
What was that about spare the rod and spoil the child?  Yeah...'nuff said.