His Holiness' Veneration of the Cross
(04-22-2011, 12:40 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: I just turned on EWTN and see that His Holiness is wearing a fiddleback and appears to be saying the prayers for the Veneration of the Cross in Latin.  I'm presuming this isn't the norm - but I don't know much about His Holiness' liturgical celebrations I suppose.

Is this as full of win as I seem to think it is?

From what I've seen of the Holy Father's liturgies, he seems to have his own reform of the reform.  Often he uses traditional Gregorian ordinaries.  The Masses are dignified and aesthetically well-ordered.  Of course, we all look forward to the day we have a Solemn Pontifical Mass offered by Pope Benedict now gloriously reigning...
(04-22-2011, 10:49 PM)Christus Imperat Wrote:
(04-22-2011, 12:40 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: I just turned on EWTN and see that His Holiness is wearing a fiddleback and appears to be saying the prayers for the Veneration of the Cross in Latin.  I'm presuming this isn't the norm - but I don't know much about His Holiness' liturgical celebrations I suppose.

From what I've seen of the Holy Father's liturgies, he seems to have his own reform of the reform.  Often he uses traditional Gregorian ordinaries.  The Masses are dignified and aesthetically well-ordered.  Of course, we all look forward to the day we have a Solemn Pontifical Mass offered by Pope Benedict now gloriously reigning...

Does that mean today's liturgical goings-on were expected?  Was this better than might have been expected?  I just thought seeing this was quite positive - though I don't really keep up with things as well as I could...the Tank and the occassional RealCatholicTV.com video are my main sources of Church-related news.
(04-22-2011, 10:47 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(04-22-2011, 10:44 PM)Christus Imperat Wrote:
(04-22-2011, 10:34 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(04-22-2011, 12:59 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: "Full of win" shouldn't describe a properly (and reverently) performed Good Friday Mass in Rome. 

Technically, the Good Friday liturgy is not a mass, correct? I reckoned it wasn't since, hosts are used from Maundy Thursday.

I found this in Angelus Press missal page 536:

"Today's liturgy clearly does not constitute a Mass for there is no Consecration..."

Wasn't it the Mass of the presanctified originally?  In the East, they call it the Divine Liturgy of the presanctified.

Really, the reformed Pius XII Good Friday service doesn't strike me as very much different from the Novus Ordo. 

Yes. The full quote from the Angelus Press missal reads:

"...what used to known as the Mass of the Presanctified. Today's liturgy clearly does not constitute a Mass for there is no Consecration... This form of "Mass" is familiar in the Greek rite"

Well holy week revisions were Bugnini's first stroke eh...

The Angelus Press Missal's glosses on the revised Holy Week are interesting.  They are very effusive about the restoration of Holy Week and in places almost disparaging of the unreformed Holy Week.

I've been looking into the Eastern practice of Holy Week and the Pius XII reforms introduced differences between east and west where formerly they were similar.  For example, the Orthodox Churches around here have their Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday Divine Liturgies in the morning.  It is claimed that the later hours are a return to ancient practice, which may very well be true, but should we go back to some ancient past when apparently the whole Church East and West had developed the Holy Week a certain way over the centuries?

I just find it bizarre that the decree on the restoration of Holy Week makes use of the kind of antiquarian arguments that Pius XII's Mediator Dei seems to have rejected.
(04-22-2011, 10:54 PM)3Sanctus Wrote:

Does that mean today's liturgical goings-on were expected?  Was this better than might have been expected?  I just thought seeing this was quite positive - though I don't really keep up with things as well as I could...the Tank and the occassional RealCatholicTV.com video are my main sources of Church-related news.

I think it is standard for Pope Benedict.  His liturgical praxis is entirely different from that under Pope John Paul II.
CI - have you read this series? I read their Breviary reform series by the same author which was excellent.

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/sea...0Revisions

(04-22-2011, 11:00 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: CI - have you read this series? I read their Breviary reform series by the same author which was excellent.

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/sea...0Revisions

I've been working through it this week.
(04-22-2011, 09:09 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: And Cardinal Burke, our next pope, was there. My woman's intuition keeps whispering his name in my ear..  :)
Whoa ~
(04-22-2011, 09:09 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: And Cardinal Burke, our next pope,

I used to be against the idea of an American pope.  But this man simply has to be elected when our German Shepherd goes home.  Pope Leo XIV  ;D!
(04-22-2011, 10:54 PM)3Sanctus Wrote:

3Sanctus, I would greatly recommend that you visit the worthwhile blog site entitled, New Liturgical Movement on a regular basis. The Papal Masses of His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI are consistently covered and the traditional elements you witnessed apparent in the Good Friday Service are a regular occurrence during the Masses of the Holy Father.
http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/
(04-22-2011, 10:34 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(04-22-2011, 12:59 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote: "Full of win" shouldn't describe a properly (and reverently) performed Good Friday Mass in Rome. 

Technically, the Good Friday liturgy is not a mass, correct? I reckoned it wasn't since, hosts are used from Maundy Thursday.

I found this in Angelus Press missal page 536:

"Today's liturgy clearly does not constitute a Mass for there is no Consecration..."

Ah, thank you for the quote (I saw the Mass of the Presanctified mentioned in my Missal*).  My mistake.

* St. Joseph Daily Missal, 1 June 1951 (Cardinal Spellman), vol. I, p. 373.