And Yet Promiscuity Continues to be Promoted
:o :o :o :o :o :o

I just read from an interview on NPR radio which states that 50 to 75 percent of unmarried women aged 40-50 years old have herpes type 2
(link below)
http://www.npr.org/2011/04/15/135442942/...can-spread

Here are more statistics about STD's in general. 
Some Statistics ...

One in five people in the United States has an STD.
Two-thirds of all STDs occur in people 25 years of age or younger.
One in four new STD infections occur in teenagers.
Cervical cancer in women is linked to HPV.
Hepatitis B is 100 times more infectious than HIV.
STDs, other than HIV, cost about $8 billion each year to diagnose and treat.
One in five Americans has genital herpes, yet 90 percent of those with herpes are unaware they have it.
At least one in four Americans will contract an STD at some point in their lives.
HPV and chlamydia are the most common STDs in the United States.
More than 5 million people are infected with HPV each year.
Less than half of adults ages 18 to 44 have ever been tested for an STD other than HIV/AIDS.
At least 15 percent of all infertile American women are infertile because of tubal damage caused by pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), the result of an untreated STD.
Two-thirds of Hepatitis B (HBV) infections are transmitted sexually. HBV is linked to chronic liver disease, including cirrhosis and liver cancer.

In the United States, the number of people affected by:

Chlamydia: 4 million
Trichomoniasis ("trich"): 3 million
Gonorrhea ("clap"): 1.1 million
Genital Warts (HPV): 750,000
Genital Herpes: 40 million, with as many as 500,000 new cases each year
Hepatitis B: 300,000
Syphilis: 120,000
HIV: 1 million, with as many as 45,000 new AIDS cases reported each year

Source of data: American Social Health Association

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/13924-...z1KpU7BrA4
Unmarried women aged 40-50 is a pretty small range.  ??? Why such an odd statistic?
I have no idea.  I just read the transcripts for the interview as I said.  Maybe the researcher in charge of the study can be contacted and your question answered.
(04-30-2011, 04:40 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Unmarried women aged 40-50 is a pretty small range.  ??? Why such an odd statistic?

Maybe those women are less likely to use condoms, which are far from fail-safe but still provide some protection from STDs. Maybe they're less promiscuous and therefore less likely to have themselves regularly tested for STDs and demand that their partners get tested. It's depressing, but when I was in my 20s, it was not unusual for those of us who were single to demand a clean bill of health from our partners before commencing certain things. When you grow up with AIDS, it seems sensible. Perhaps not so for women who came of age before the risks of STDs were so widely known.
I'm in that age range..."came of age" in the '80's which coincided with the AIDS arriving on the scene ... and all the "safe sex" propaganda.  Until I read this interview, I also thought that Herpes was known by the outbreaks.  We were the first generation raised on MTV and the use of condoms being promoted.  I remember my friend's mother advising her to inspect her boyfriend's ***** for signs of various infections.  (Isn't that romantic?  :o ) 
(04-30-2011, 05:59 PM)Satori Wrote:
(04-30-2011, 04:40 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Unmarried women aged 40-50 is a pretty small range.  ??? Why such an odd statistic?

Maybe those women are less likely to use condoms, which are far from fail-safe but still provide some protection from STDs. Maybe they're less promiscuous and therefore less likely to have themselves regularly tested for STDs and demand that their partners get tested. It's depressing, but when I was in my 20s, it was not unusual for those of us who were single to demand a clean bill of health from our partners before commencing certain things. When you grow up with AIDS, it seems sensible. Perhaps not so for women who came of age before the risks of STDs were so widely known.

That makes sense.

"One in five people in the United States has an STD."

Just......wow.
Condoms don't protect against herpes, not really anyhow.  The infection can occur and be transmitted outside the areas that the condom has covered.

Condoms are a lie.

As the article says, 17% of people between 14 and 49 are infected, but, because the infection cannot be cured, older people have had more opportunities to become infected, so the percentage of them who are infected is higher.

Dr. LEONE: I am. I think ELISA should be made available to folks who want to know. And only to backtrack for a second - we talked about 17 percent of adults being infected in the United States, but this idea is sort of like, well, it's for other folks who get it. And there isn't great correlation in terms of the number of sexual partners and what your risk is, in addition because this is a lifelong infection. As the population ages up, the overall percentage of folks infected increases as well because there's no cure.

So if you look at some population-based data in the United States and look at unmarried adults, meaning folks between the ages of 45 and 50, for women, we know the prevalence rate for genital herpes due to HSV-2 is between 50 and 70 percent. So we're looking at close to the majority or the majority of folks in that age group who are single having genital herpes.
Or, the data could be fabricated...or it could be incorrectly applied to the population as a whole...or, it could apply to only a particular demographic (folks who visit free health clinics?).  I would also be hesitant to believe anything from an org with two homos on their home page (regardless of their mission).