Our Lady of Fatima
(05-12-2011, 03:22 PM)charlesh Wrote: If I could sum up the Fatima Message in as few words as possible, it would be, "Turn to the Immaculate Heart and attend to your duties of state." It's easy to talk of divine chastisements, Russia, and geo-politics. It takes no commitment and action to talk and speculate about things over which you have no control. That's the easy part about Fatima. It's far more difficult to mind your own temporal and religious duties, all those little hum-drum things you have to do day in and day out, at the service of God and your neighbor. But that's the message, and that's the part I find the most difficult. Pope St. Pius X said: "Do your duty and all will go well." He also said,

"When anyone tells me about the extraordinary, I am the most incredulous man in the world..., but when holiness results from the practice of virtue..., I believe in it.  Just this morning ... I was saying that long ago the devil manifested himself openly in the possessed whom he caused to suffer, and from whom he could be driven out only by exorcism.  Now he has changed his method; he takes the appearance of sanctity and makes people believe in visions.  He even gives to certain persons the knowledge of hidden things, so that they may appear to prophesy; sometimes he even simulates stigmata!  But as for holiness expressed in the simple practice of virtue...,  I believe in that.  That is indeed holiness....  The way to sanctity is not  difficult. It is a thorny road, but easy."

Charlesh this is really excellent.  Have you considered writing for the blog? 
I hadn't thought of it. What would you suggest?
Expand upon what you just wrote about holiness in attending to your daily duties. 

I think it is something we all need to hear.  Especially me. Embarrassed  I spend time here that I should be doing other things.
(05-12-2011, 04:04 PM)MaterLaeta Wrote: Expand upon what you just wrote about holiness in attending to your daily duties. 

I think it is something we all need to hear.  Especially me. Embarrassed  I spend time here that I should be doing other things.

Haha. Me too.

I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said somewhere. In fact, that article that I would write has already been written, much better than I could ever do, and a long time ago, before Vatican II. Here it is: http://www.rosarychapel.net/sot/Fatimamsg.pdf, written by the Dominican, Fr. Thomas McGlynn in 1949. Really good read, and not too long.
(05-12-2011, 03:22 PM)charlesh Wrote:
(05-11-2011, 08:05 AM)ErinIsNice Wrote: We have no idea if it was a sin against chastity that is keeping that girl in purgatory until the end of time.  I know it's hard for many traddies to believe this, but there are much worse sins than those against chastity.  They may be some of the most common, but that doesn't make them the worst.

+1

Unchastity is the least of sins--just enough to damn you. Pride, uncharity, hypocrisy, these are all exponentially worse than unchastity.

If I could sum up the Fatima Message in as few words as possible, it would be, "Turn to the Immaculate Heart and attend to your duties of state." It's easy to talk of divine chastisements, Russia, and geo-politics. It takes no commitment and action to talk and speculate about things over which you have no control. That's the easy part about Fatima. It's far more difficult to mind your own temporal and religious duties, all those little hum-drum things you have to do day in and day out, at the service of God and your neighbor. But that's the message, and that's the part I find the most difficult. Pope St. Pius X said: "Do your duty and all will go well." He also said,

"When anyone tells me about the extraordinary, I am the most incredulous man in the world..., but when holiness results from the practice of virtue..., I believe in it.  Just this morning ... I was saying that long ago the devil manifested himself openly in the possessed whom he caused to suffer, and from whom he could be driven out only by exorcism.  Now he has changed his method; he takes the appearance of sanctity and makes people believe in visions.  He even gives to certain persons the knowledge of hidden things, so that they may appear to prophesy; sometimes he even simulates stigmata!  But as for holiness expressed in the simple practice of virtue...,  I believe in that.  That is indeed holiness....  The way to sanctity is not  difficult. It is a thorny road, but easy."

Excellent.
(05-12-2011, 05:46 PM)charlesh Wrote: I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said somewhere.

Neither do I, but that doesn't stop me from writing blog posts.   Smile
Okay, I'll take it to heart.
I'm sorry but those that talk about the geo-politics and it's relationship to Fatima are not the ones dismissing their mundane daily duties. I've seen no parishes offer millions of rosaries in a bouquet to the Pope, except the SSPX ,and the Grunerites like me. Speaking about the Fatima warnings and their relationship  to the minor Chastisement, which more than a few Fathers have spoken about coming at the Great Apostasy ,will wake the Catholics that peer in here and see what we trads are about. The rosary is not divisive like the TLM can be. They can pick it up and then the little sacrifices and the First Saturdays with ease.  You might like to read Trial Tribulation and Triumph by Desmond Birch and see that Fatima is the warning which brings them all together. This period now was spoken about by Paul and he called it the Great Apostasy, he also spoke in Romans about the people becoming debauched. One would need blinders not to see that we are on the precipice. We have all seen directly how Powerful the rosary is when we all prayed it together. St. Nilus springs to mind. Ignoring what is going on does not make one more pius just ignorant.

tim
(05-12-2011, 07:28 PM)timoose Wrote: I'm sorry but those that talk about the geo-politics and it's relationship to Fatima are not the ones dismissing their mundane daily duties. I've seen no parishes offer millions of rosaries in a bouquet to the Pope, except the SSPX ,and the Grunerites like me. Speaking about the Fatima warnings and their relationship  to the minor Chastisement, which more than a few Fathers have spoken about coming at the Great Apostasy ,will wake the Catholics that peer in here and see what we trads are about. The rosary is not divisive like the TLM can be. They can pick it up and then the little sacrifices and the First Saturdays with ease.  You might like to read Trial Tribulation and Triumph by Desmond Birch and see that Fatima is the warning which brings them all together. This period now was spoken about by Paul and he called it the Great Apostasy, he also spoke in Romans about the people becoming debauched. One would need blinders not to see that we are on the precipice. We have all seen directly how Powerful the rosary is when we all prayed it together. St. Nilus springs to mind. Ignoring what is going on does not make one more pius just ignorant.

tim

Cheers!
(05-12-2011, 07:28 PM)timoose Wrote: I'm sorry but those that talk about the geo-politics and it's relationship to Fatima are not the ones dismissing their mundane daily duties. I've seen no parishes offer millions of rosaries in a bouquet to the Pope, except the SSPX ,and the Grunerites like me. Speaking about the Fatima warnings and their relationship  to the minor Chastisement, which more than a few Fathers have spoken about coming at the Great Apostasy ,will wake the Catholics that peer in here and see what we trads are about. The rosary is not divisive like the TLM can be. They can pick it up and then the little sacrifices and the First Saturdays with ease.  You might like to read Trial Tribulation and Triumph by Desmond Birch and see that Fatima is the warning which brings them all together. This period now was spoken about by Paul and he called it the Great Apostasy, he also spoke in Romans about the people becoming debauched. One would need blinders not to see that we are on the precipice. We have all seen directly how Powerful the rosary is when we all prayed it together. St. Nilus springs to mind. Ignoring what is going on does not make one more pius just ignorant.

tim

Your zeal is somewhat misplaced. All that is true about Fatima, but the whole point is to get us to mind our duties to God and neighbor. I don't imagine you would disagree with that.

From Sr. Lucia's 2nd published memoir: "Of all the words spoken at this Apparition, the ones most deeply engraved upon my heart were those of the request made by our Heavenly Mother: “Do not offend Our Lord and God any more, because He is already so much offended!” How loving a complaint, how tender a request! Who will grant me to make it echo through the whole world, so that all the children of Our Mother in Heaven may hear the sound of her voice!"

Sr. Lucia to Bp. Correia da Silva: "The Good Lord complains bitterly and sorrowfully about the small number of souls in His grace who are willing to renounce whatever the observance of His Law requires of them. This is penance, which the Lord now asks: the sacrifice that every person has to impose upon himself to lead a life of justice in the observance of His Law. For many, thinking that the word penance means great austerities and not feeling in themselves the strength or the generosity for these, lose heart and rest in a life of lukewarmness and sin. Our Lord said to me: 'The sacrifice required of every person is the fulfillment of his duties in life and the observance of My Law. This is the penance that I now seek and require.'"

It's edifying as spiritual reading to read The Whole Truth about Fatima, by Br. Michel, and The True Story of Fatima, by Fr. de Marchi, if it leads to virtue. If it leads to obsession and despair over extraordinary things outside of your control, then the devil has robbed you of your peace. And yes, there are people who go off the deep-end. Interestingly, Sr. Lucia, who saw hell and held the secret, was even-keeled and had a joyful temper.