Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph!
(05-12-2011, 12:27 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: This Solemnity goes much deeper into the Holy Family and my Breviary, has the Divine Office for the entire week, with what look like very interesting sermons. But, it looks like my online Divine Office resources are moving on tomorrow. Now this I'm confused about. Is the Divine Offfice for this Solemnity within the Octave only to be said after the initial day if we run into a simple Feria during this Octave? Anyone know?

The octave is a common octave, so the days within the octave are outranked by any feast ranked a semidouble or higher.  Thus, besides the solemnity itself and the octave day next Wednesday, only Saturday is said of the Octave this year; it is commemorated of course each day at Lauds and Vespers.

As to its suppression, I lament it too, though it should be said that it was only established in the middle of the 1800s by Pius IX–the March 19 solemnity is more ancient.  And as a Double of the I Class, it is entitled to transfer whenever it is impeded, so it is always celebrated, though not necessarily on the 19th.  This is true even in the Novus Ordo, since it is ranked as a Solemnity.

Messages In This Thread
Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Adam Wayne - 05-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by aquinas138 - 05-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-14-2011, 03:08 AM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-14-2011, 03:25 AM