Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph!
(05-13-2011, 01:01 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: But, today, I used the Common of the Feast  Antiphons for Lauds with Scheme 1 Psalms for Sunday. It seemed to make a lot more sense. But, I noticed that Lazslo's site, and the Breviary site run by the Sedes prayed Thursday Psalms with the one Alleluia Antiphon. How does one know when to use the Common and when to use the Scheme for the day of the week? Any tips you can share? Or is it a matter of personal preference?

Common octaves use the ferial Psalms; privileged Octaves repeat the Antiphons and Psalms from the Feast day itself.

The Solemnity was suppressed in 1955 with the addition of St. Joseph the Workman. As noted above, the Solemnity is fairly recent, from the 19th century, and was added because of a desire to have a feast of St. Joseph with an Octave, to better honour him. As March 19 is always during Lent, that Feast never has an Octave. With the two feasts of St. Joseph usually occurring right around the same time - I remember sometime in the past few years they fell either on the same day or with one on the next day - and the suppression of most Octaves along with several other duplicated feasts (the Invention of the Holy Cross, the Apparition of St. Michael, St. John at the Latin Gate), there was no need for three feasts of the same saint. I still celebrate both, so yesterday was Ss. Philip and James, with a Commemoration and ninth Lesson of Ss. Nereus, Achilleus, Domitilla, and Pancras. For those using the older books, this Saturday will be the IV day within the Octave, with a ninth Lesson of the Simple feast of St. Boniface, and a Commemoration of him is made at Lauds.

Messages In This Thread
Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Adam Wayne - 05-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-14-2011, 03:08 AM
Re: Happy Solemnity of St. Joseph! - by Paul - 05-14-2011, 03:25 AM