Universae Ecclesiae released - full English text
(05-13-2011, 11:13 AM)Walty Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 08:02 AM)Cetil Wrote: A Carmelite over at CAF is whining that some part of the seminary curriculum would have to be chucked in order to offer Latin classes. (?) (!)

Hah.  Cry me a river.  As someone who has studied alongside many seminarians, priests, and religious pursuing STLs and STDs I can say that this is not a problem.  The curriculum is brimming with Rahner, de Lubac, and von Balthasar, giving only cursory mention to St. Thomas, and reimagining all of the Church Fathers, most especially St. Augustine, in light of their doctrines.  There are exceptions, but they are very rare.

This was also my experience when working on my MDiv over ten years ago.  There was no Latin requirement and minimal philosophy requirement that did not even specify Aquinas.  It was necessary to take 5 philosophy credits but any 5 would count.  Even if someone wanted to study him, as I recall, there was only one course.  I took it and it was a reasonable enough intro course but not enough for the formation of priests.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Universae Ecclesiae released - full English text - by JayneK - 05-13-2011, 11:22 AM