Universae Ecclesiae released - full English text
(05-13-2011, 11:00 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 10:49 PM)DJR Wrote: While I have to agree with your statement because of the qualified words "on average," I would say that in many places in the world the new Mass is no worse than it was in the early 1970s.  Your perspective is a U.S. one; and is it safe to assume it's from somewhere on the east coast?  Sounds like your parish was one of the holdouts, but it was definitely not the norm for those days. 

You've guessed that right.  It was the whole Philadelphia archdiocese and probably part of the problem of implementing radical changes is the fact that Philadelphia was a city that generations of families stayed in.  Italians, Irish, Germans and Poles for the most part and they came over from Europe and their children bought a house down the street and their grandchildren would buy a house around the block.  The Universities and the religious orders were the areas that had the dynamism that infected the parishes and broke down the resistance. 

I agree also with the rest of your statement.  It sounds very similar to the descrptions and evidence that Charles Coulombe, Malachi Martin and more recently Michael Voris gave of pre-conciliar abuse. 

Oh, Philadelphia.  Well, that makes sense.  Cardinal Krol was a decent man; he came from Cleveland and was one of the "Bishop Hoban men."

I remember many years ago, after the changes, traveling to Texas and stopping in Amarillo overnight with my family.  It was a Saturday night, so we got up the next day to look for the local chapel of the SSPX.  I couldn't find it, so I decided to take my family to the local parish to fulfill the obligation.  It was disastrous and shocking.  I had a little discussion with the young priest there; we did not see eye to eye, let's say.

Anyway, it was a horrible experience, and we were walking to the car after Mass was over when, in the parking lot, we came upon a middle aged lady walking next to a nun.  I remarked to them that I was from Cleveland, and I thought the Mass was horrible at that parish.  They stopped, and the lady said to me with a sad face, "Oh, my sister (the nun) is really upset.  She's from Philadelphia.  I guess you just do things different in the east."

I thought to myself, "Is this a different religion here, or what?"  I've always thought that Philadelphia was better off than many other dioceses.  I know for a fact it's better than Amarillo, Texas.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Universae Ecclesiae released - full English text - by DJR - 05-13-2011, 11:31 PM