Universae Ecclesiae released - full English text
(05-13-2011, 06:09 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I think this thread needs less discussion of Hebrew and more discussion of Latin!

Here's an amazing analysis that a trad buddy sent me by email. He read the original Latin version first:

Quote:Point 22 is crucial. "In dioceses where priests proficient [in Latin] do not exist, it is _fas_ for diocesan bishops to sincerely seek assistance from priests from traditional priestly institutes, so they might celebrate [Mass] or teach the art of celebration." (my translation and additions)

_fas_ is a Classical Latin idiom.  _fas_, for ancient Romans, meant more than "obligation".  Literally, _fas_ was a sacred duty that must be obeyed unless the gods become angry with humanity.  With _fas_, Pope Benedict unequivocally demands that bishops supply traditional order priests if there are not enough diocesan priests for the traditional faithful.  Indeed, it is almost a divine commandment that the traditional faithful are provided with pastoral care! 

Nice.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Universae Ecclesiae released - full English text - by Bakuryokuso - 05-14-2011, 05:52 AM