Universae Ecclesiae released - full English text
(05-14-2011, 05:52 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(05-13-2011, 06:09 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I think this thread needs less discussion of Hebrew and more discussion of Latin!

Here's an amazing analysis that a trad buddy sent me by email. He read the original Latin version first:

Quote:Point 22 is crucial. "In dioceses where priests proficient [in Latin] do not exist, it is _fas_ for diocesan bishops to sincerely seek assistance from priests from traditional priestly institutes, so they might celebrate [Mass] or teach the art of celebration." (my translation and additions)

_fas_ is a Classical Latin idiom.  _fas_, for ancient Romans, meant more than "obligation".  Literally, _fas_ was a sacred duty that must be obeyed unless the gods become angry with humanity.  With _fas_, Pope Benedict unequivocally demands that bishops supply traditional order priests if there are not enough diocesan priests for the traditional faithful.  Indeed, it is almost a divine commandment that the traditional faithful are provided with pastoral care! 

Nice.

That is interesting.  But does it have any practical effect?  Are any US bishops going to read this in Latin?

As I said, I'm happy for whatever we can get, but "fas" is a pretty slim reed to support many hopes.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Universae Ecclesiae released - full English text - by DesperatelySeeking - 05-14-2011, 08:48 AM