Contemplative practices for laypeople?
(06-03-2011, 11:08 AM)Graham Wrote: I've never seen 'centering prayer' explicitly practiced, so I don't know if and how the reality differs from what's described in the pamphlet I linked to upthread. What I can tell the OP, is that if he does the exercise in the pamphlet, he will be practicing a normal form of Christian contemplation, identical to the basic exercise outlined in the Cloud of Unknowing. Now, if he's still unsure, he can always turn to the source itself, which I posted on the first page. Until people begin denying that true contemplation depends on God's grace, I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt and not get too paranoid about supposed Buddhist nihilism, self-hypnosis, and 'psychic energies'. This'll be my last contribution to this particular discussion.

My counter would be: Why bother trying to see how much can be salvaged of a practice that's not Christian. You can just as easily pray in an authentic Christian manner as the Saints have taught us.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Contemplative practices for laypeople? - by Azurestone - 06-03-2011, 07:57 PM