So, does the pope really smoke?
(05-17-2011, 02:31 PM)TeaGuyTom Wrote: If these rumors are indeed true, it helps to understand the couple of strokes he has suffered in recent years. But I highly doubt it. This is the pontiff who loves orange fanta and wanted to spend his retirement sitting in his garden drinking tea with his cats. Hardly sounds like a chain smoker.
I love Fanta (not the saccharine American branded stuff) and would enjoy spending my retirement in a garden drinking tea with my cats, and I'm a chain smoker.

I wonder if he uses the swimming pool.  Does he get much exercise?  I wonder if he has cats wandering around in his apartments.
Curious fact I just stumbled upon:

Pope Urban VII in 1590 banned smoking "in the porchway of or inside a church, whether it be by chewing it, smoking it with a pipe or sniffing it in powdered form through the nose."

The penalty for breaking his edict? Excommunication.
He's 84 guys, and you gottsa die from something. Strokes are an easy way. Bette Davis recovered from one and said it's like falling asleep. She was on stage on her mark reciting her lines and she slumped to the floor. 

The Pope enters his apartment ,sits in his favorite chair, kicks off his shoes and puts his feet up, lights a Marlboro and exhales, looks into the camera and says "after a hard day of fighting heretics and demons, I relax with my Marlboros". Cue "tublar bells"

tim
As a person who smoked for 45 yrs., I haven't had a cigarette for 21 days. The reason?? I had a heart attack 21 days ago. I have thought for several years that smoking should be a sin (venial) because if our bodies are truly "temples of the Holy Spirit" it's wrong to contaminate them. Still, it took a heart attack to make me quit. :smokin: :crazy:
(05-17-2011, 05:13 PM)JoniCath Wrote: As a person who smoked for 45 yrs., I haven't had a cigarette for 21 days. The reason?? I had a heart attack 21 days ago. I have thought for several years that smoking should be a sin (venial) because if our bodies are truly "temples of the Holy Spirit" it's wrong to contaminate them. Still, it took a heart attack to make me quit. :smokin: :crazy:

Hope you're well now. I'm a smoker, but I want to quit.

"So some of the self righteous people in here would say the Pope is in a state of mortal sin because he smokes. 

I wish that were the case.

The reality, though, is much grimmer."

Sharp.
(05-17-2011, 04:00 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: I wonder if he has cats wandering around in his apartments.

Owning pets is, I believe, prohibited everyone in the Vatican--Holy Father included.  From what I understand of the Pope's cat habit, he feeds and cares for the stray cats that wander into his garden.  I guess they don't become "pets" if they stay in the garden...   ;)
A pack a day addiction is probably not very healthy or enjoyable, but smoking an occasional pipe is an entirely different matter.  I love when the scent of pipe tobacco lingers on my husband after he's been out for a walk with his pipe.
I don't care one way or the other if he smokes, he wouldn't be the first pope who did that. But his brother Georg did say once that he didn't smoke even when he was younger.

C.