So, does the pope really smoke?
Somehow I just can't picture Pope Benedict smoking.
(05-18-2011, 06:37 PM)irmatvep Wrote: Somehow I just can't picture Pope Benedict smoking.

This all got started because a bodyguard at World Youth Day in 2008 claimed to see the pope smoking. No one has confirmed that story.
I figure if he does smoke occasionally it's because he likes to see "a puff of white smoke" now and then which brings back a pleasant memory. :)

C.
(05-18-2011, 06:07 PM)timoose Wrote: I agree New York, we're on the same page. It's just I see a danger starting with propaganda about a cult of health. I saw a program about three years ago about how it is a new pagan religion in Germany. I think I see it starting here, with the emphasis which Obamacare has put on prevention. There is a curious commercial here about a school teacher that invested wisely for her retirement and has still got plenty of money at 180 something.This commercial plays into the notion that we are extending our life span.

tim

Agree 100%.
(05-18-2011, 12:40 AM)Cetil Wrote: You can get cancer from smoking pipes and/or cigars. It will start in your throat or mouth; that's the only difference. One of my neighbor's got cancer from using a pipe. They had to remove part of his tongue at one point.

C.

Yikes, I believe it!  I've also seen some pretty horrible pictures of what chewing tobacco can do.

I still think that pipe and cigar smokers generally have a different attitude toward smoking, which is that it's something relaxing to do once in a while.  Which makes the risk lesser than for someone who has to run outside to get a cigarette fix every couple of hours during work.  I've never taken up the habit myself though because I don't think it's worth the risk, plus pipes and cigars are un-ladylike  :groucho:
(05-18-2011, 12:35 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: Maybe I should have asked this in the smoking thread, but for smokers out there I wonder, even though it's not a moral issue, and you plan to keep smoking ... would you want your children to start smoking?  If they asked you, would you discourage them?

I think this is a very important point. Children emulate their parents. My parents both smoked, and they told us not to smoke, but my two brothers and I all ended up smoking. I mean, how bad can it be if your parents do it? Likewise, both of my brothers had kids, and all of them smoke. I haven't seen any statistical studies, but I would bet there's a high correlation -- that if parents smoke, there's a very good chance that their children will, no matter what you tell them.
I don't care what other people do, but personally I would never smoke just because I think its disgusting.
(05-19-2011, 07:06 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I don't care what other people do, but personally I would never smoke just because I think its disgusting.

Have your ever smoked?
(05-19-2011, 02:51 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: plus pipes and cigars are un-ladylike  :groucho:

Seeing women with pipes and cigars does look strange, but before the 20th century, it was standard to see women using them. Perhaps because the cigarette hadn't been invented yet, among other reasons.

Female pipe smokers are also seen more frequently today in the Middle East and Asia.
(05-18-2011, 07:12 PM)Cetil Wrote:
(05-18-2011, 06:37 PM)irmatvep Wrote: Somehow I just can't picture Pope Benedict smoking.

This all got started because a bodyguard at World Youth Day in 2008 claimed to see the pope smoking. No one has confirmed that story.
I figure if he does smoke occasionally it's because he likes to see "a puff of white smoke" now and then which brings back a pleasant memory. :)

C.

It's not that I believe that smoking is sinful, it's just can't envision B16 puffing of a cig or pipe.  It seems so out of character for him.
(05-19-2011, 07:19 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(05-19-2011, 07:06 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I don't care what other people do, but personally I would never smoke just because I think its disgusting.

Have your ever smoked?

Only second-hand smoke :D