So, does the pope really smoke?
(05-19-2011, 08:00 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(05-19-2011, 07:19 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(05-19-2011, 07:06 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I don't care what other people do, but personally I would never smoke just because I think its disgusting.

Have your ever smoked?

Only second-hand smoke :D

So you don't really know the decent pleasure and the fine rituals involved in the act of smoking.

I would hardly call it disgusting.
(05-19-2011, 08:05 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(05-19-2011, 07:06 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: I don't care what other people do, but personally I would never smoke just because I think its disgusting.

Have your ever smoked?

So you don't really know the decent pleasure and the fine rituals involved in the act of smoking.

This is a nonsensical argument.  I will not begrudge you from smoking, but personally the smell of smoke makes me want to gag.  I don't need to try it to confirm this.  Just like I don't need to try marijuana to also conclude it is disgusting. 
(05-19-2011, 08:28 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:

Have your ever smoked?

This is a nonsensical argument.  I will not begrudge you from smoking, but personally the smell of smoke makes me want to gag.  I don't need to try it to confirm this.  Just like I don't need to try marijuana to also conclude it is disgusting. 

You never know what it is until you try it. It's an immutable rule.

This doesn't mean you should try every thing, of course. Smoking takes habituation in order to be fully appreciated. The same with other acquired tastes, like wine for instance.
(05-19-2011, 07:55 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(05-19-2011, 02:51 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: plus pipes and cigars are un-ladylike  :groucho:

Seeing women with pipes and cigars does look strange, but before the 20th century, it was standard to see women using them. Perhaps because the cigarette hadn't been invented yet, among other reasons.

Female pipe smokers are also seen more frequently today in the Middle East and Asia.

A couple of days ago I was walking to the bus stop on a nice evening. I walked by a nicely dressed, middle class looking couple walking in the other direction. They were both puffing away on briar pipes. :)
(05-17-2011, 11:59 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Now I feel like a loser for trying to quit... :(

I really have no idea.  Wouldn't it be cool if he sponsored "the official cigarette of the Vatican?"

It would have something really cool in latin written on it and the Holy Father driving the popemobile with the top down, puffing away.

I would definitely smoke what he's smoking.  Let me know if it ever happens.
:laughing: You get the funniest post of the day award.  Thanks for this, I needed a laugh today.

.... and to the topic.  I've not heard of the smoking conspiracy story.  Smoking doesn't bother me though.  My father has smoked cigars and pipes for as long as I can remember.  Coupled with this, many of my guy friends smoke cigars while golfing or at get togethers.  It wouldn't phase me one way or the other if he did smoke.
(05-19-2011, 07:55 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(05-19-2011, 02:51 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: plus pipes and cigars are un-ladylike  :groucho:

Seeing women with pipes and cigars does look strange, but before the 20th century, it was standard to see women using them. Perhaps because the cigarette hadn't been invented yet, among other reasons.

Female pipe smokers are also seen more frequently today in the Middle East and Asia.

That's interesting!  I've never seen that before.

I thought hookahs were all the rage in the middle east.  I'll never forget the hookah aisle in the middle eastern grocery store I stopped in while visiting Chicago.  :o

I recently watched a documentary about historic pubs in Ireland, and one of them had private cubicles where women used to drink because it was considered unladylike to be up at the bar or drinking a pint.

(05-19-2011, 08:28 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:

Have your ever smoked?

Or homosexuality, beastiality, etc. Trial and error is not necessary for me to know that smoking (primarily cigarettes) is an unnecessary cause of harm to your mouth, lungs, throat, and those around you. Besides the health hazard, inconvenience and superfluousness, it is a huge financial burden. I am thankful that my dad quite smoking before I was born; my friend did not have that luxury, and even as a child he had throat and lung congestion and allergies as a result of his inhalation of second hand smoke.
I always liked the smell of pipe tobacco, especially Cherry Vanilla. Since I don't want to smoke, I bought Madagascar Vanilla Rooibos from Celestial Seasonings. The toffee smell of the rooibos mixed with the vanilla reminds me of cherry vanilla pipe tobacco. It reminds me when i was little and they sold those large bags of tobacco at Happy Harrys and Eckerds. I would smell the bags :P

I would think that if the Pope smoked before his election it would be pretty common knowledge.
I'm very anti-cigarettes in large part because of the poisons crammed in every pack by exceedingly cynical corporatists.  

In theory, some smoking in moderation I don't see an issue with.  Also, while I do give my opinion to cigarettists, I also understand that it is not so simple as 'one cigarette is a venial sin' e.g., though I think pack a day chain smokers are deeply in need of help.

Marijuana I do have serious problems with because the intention is to engage in a mind altering experience.  Modest amounts of alcohol is in a completely different category if for no other reason than Christ Himself did not object to recreational wine drinking (or the fact that He found wine fit to be an accident of His Precious Blood.)

Physically, I can't stand cigarette smoke, but this is similar to how some people cannot stand soda, an occassional weakness for me.  If Pope Benedict does smoke I doubt he tears through a carton or two a week!