So, does the pope really smoke?
I'm a pack a day smoker and it is a dirty, destructive habit. That is all.
(05-17-2011, 08:33 PM)salus Wrote: Going after smoking and other environmental "sins" is the liberal's way of trying to get you to forget the REAL sins GOD  has condemned such as Abortion, Contraception Sodomy etc etc etc.............

As an ex-smoker (i've only been tobacco free for 1 month), I don't consider smoking or dependence on alcohol "environmental sins". I consider them both sins against one's own body.When we are "joined to the Lord" in salvation, we are "one spirit" with Him (1 Corinthians 6:17But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

Although this deals with the spiritual aspect of our salvation, it is connected to the physical nature of the believer. Our physical body takes on some level of spiritual significance because it houses the spirit that is joined with the Lord.
Our body becomes "the temple of the Holy Ghost" (1 Corinthians 6:19What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? See All...) by His indwelling. Whatever building the Spirit of the Lord inhabits; that is the temple of the Lord.
Our body, as well as our spirit, has been bought with a price (Christ on the cross) and truly belongs to the Lord. I liked smoking, it took a heart attack to make me quit & I will NOT become one of those "holier than thou" ex-smokers who preach the evils of smoking to anyone who will listen. It's a very individual thing as are the reasons for taking the habit up.

Or homosexuality, beastiality, etc. Trial and error is not necessary for me to know that smoking (primarily cigarettes) is an unnecessary cause of harm to your mouth, lungs, throat, and those around you. Besides the health hazard, inconvenience and superfluousness, it is a huge financial burden. I am thankful that my dad quite smoking before I was born; my friend did not have that luxury, and even as a child he had throat and lung congestion and allergies as a result of his inhalation of second hand smoke.
[/quote]

While I certainly would NOT compare smoking cigarettes to homosexuality or bestiality............you are correct that it damages your body. You are also correct about the financial burden. One of the "tools" I've used to stop is a large glass (has to be see-through) bowl. I figure that I smoked about a pack & a half of cigarettes each day. This cost approximately $5. a day. Everyday that I don't smoke, I put a $5. bill in the bowl. I have 31 in there now.....$155. I've saved to spend on something SPECIAL!!

Plus, I have a 10 yr. old granddaughter that was really upset when i had the heart attack. She calls me every evening with the following question:
"Did you smoke today, Grandma?" I won't let her down.
People have been trained by the media to scape-goat smokers, by claiming
that occasional second hand smoke is a significant health risk (a lie) and the promotion of a pagan
cult of the body. I get hate filled stares from people when I smoke outside buildings
and people loudly cough for my benefit sometimes when they pass me by its juvenile and
pathetic. Sometimes I am feel motivated to smoke simply because it is the most un-pc habit
these days.
(05-26-2011, 09:36 AM)JoniCath Wrote: Plus, I have a 10 yr. old granddaughter that was really upset when i had the heart attack. She calls me every evening with the following question:
"Did you smoke today, Grandma?" I won't let her down. [/size]

Out of the mouth of babes.  Nice!

Congrats on your successful efforts!  :)
(05-29-2011, 08:59 PM)sheep101 Wrote: People have been trained by the media to scape-goat smokers, by claiming
that occasional second hand smoke is a significant health risk (a lie)

Could you expand on this, please?
(05-23-2011, 09:39 PM)kingtheoden Wrote: I'm very anti-cigarettes in large part because of the poisons crammed in every pack by exceedingly cynical corporatists.  

LOL
"Lighting up doesn't carry the social stigma in Europe that it carries in the U.S. Many famous Europeans -- including the Pope, French soccer star Zinedine Zidane and Britain's Prince Harry -- have been known to puff in private without burning their public image. U.S. President-elect Barack Obama, on the other hand, has spoken publicly about the pressure he feels to quit smoking."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123085631602247715.html  :shrug:
But they never inhaled.