Glenn Beck and his "History" of the Crusaders
(05-21-2011, 04:23 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(05-21-2011, 04:16 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote:
(05-21-2011, 04:12 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(05-21-2011, 04:08 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: Maybe we can sic Sean Hannity on him, you know, straighten him out on all the Catholic stuff.

Oh, wait...
(05-21-2011, 03:57 PM)Petertherock Wrote: I like him when he talks about politics and the budget but when he starts in with religion and Israel he's a whack job.
So close and yet so very, very far.

So tell me...what's this supposed to mean?
That I agreed with you (I thought  :shrug:) I like him on politics, the rest can go.

Oh OK...yeah...Hannity is the same way...only Hannity is a phony Catholic...along with O'Reilly,

I agree 100%. Oh and watch out for Glenn Wreck even when it comes to matters on politics and his "blackboard schemes".
(05-21-2011, 04:29 PM)timoose Wrote: The Church of Sean and Glenn would be hysterical. First Sean told off Fr. Enteneuer saying he had gone to seminary. Later I find out he went to minor seminary or high school. So much for deep theological Truth when he doesn't get that right. Glenn has Catholicism and American history turned on their heads so he's a brilliant statesman. MSNBC is what commies call useful idiots, what Fox is with those two is doesn't have a name yet.

Pete, I found in the Regula where St. Benedict addresses excessive talking and laughter. So I see what you were saying, though it's not a prohibition on laughter, per se. If you check the rule for today , 5/21, it's there.

tim
I didn't know that Hannity only went to minor seminary. I always thought he made it to the main seminary training and then quit.
(05-21-2011, 09:18 PM)TeaGuyTom Wrote:
(05-21-2011, 04:29 PM)timoose Wrote: The Church of Sean and Glenn would be hysterical. First Sean told off Fr. Enteneuer saying he had gone to seminary. Later I find out he went to minor seminary or high school. So much for deep theological Truth when he doesn't get that right. Glenn has Catholicism and American history turned on their heads so he's a brilliant statesman. MSNBC is what commies call useful idiots, what Fox is with those two is doesn't have a name yet.

Pete, I found in the Regula where St. Benedict addresses excessive talking and laughter. So I see what you were saying, though it's not a prohibition on laughter, per se. If you check the rule for today , 5/21, it's there.

tim
I didn't know that Hannity only went to minor seminary. I always thought he made it to the main seminary training and then quit.

Hannity is the son of Hugh J. and Lillian F. Hannity. His paternal and maternal grandparents emigrated from Ireland. He has two sisters, Joanne S. Hannity and Therese (Hannity) Grisham. He grew up in Franklin Square, New York [3] and attended Sacred Heart Seminary in Hempstead, New York during his middle school years and St. Pius X Preparatory Seminary high school in Uniondale, New York.[4] Hannity dropped out of New York University and Adelphi University to pursue his broadcasting career.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Hannity

Before the thread goes too far on a "Hannity" tangent, do we have anyone reading this who actually knows their stuff in depth about the Crusades and Jerusalem and the "Big Door" that the Crusaders locked the Jews in with a Cross and a Torch and burned them alive?  I'd like to see a real refutation of this one.  Beck is getting away with a passive agressive trashing of the history of the Catholic Church as well as jumping on the bandwagon and stirring up old smears like he did against Fr. Coughlin when someone compared him to Coughlin.  (and insult to Coughlin if there ever was one. )

(05-21-2011, 09:51 PM)Gerard Wrote: Before the thread goes too far on a "Hannity" tangent, do we have anyone reading this who actually knows their stuff in depth about the Crusades and Jerusalem and the "Big Door" that the Crusaders locked the Jews in with a Cross and a Torch and burned them alive?   I'd like to see a real refutation of this one.  Beck is getting away with a passive agressive trashing of the history of the Catholic Church as well as jumping on the bandwagon and stirring up old smears like he did against Fr. Coughlin when someone compared him to Coughlin.  (and insult to Coughlin if there ever was one. )
I was googling around and this is the only information I can find on the "door" under the western wall. It is called Warrens gate. It is the closest the Jews can get to the Holy of Holies and led to the mount. It was used before the Crusades as a small synagogue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren%27s_Gate
This is the only story involving the Warren arch and the synagogue burning.

The chronicle of Ibn al-Qalanisi states the Jewish defenders sought refuge in their synagogue, but the "Franks burned it over their heads", killing everyone inside.[13] One account alleges that the Crusaders circled the flaming building while singing "Christ, We Adore Thee!, Thee are our light, our direction, our love".[14] There is no question that there was a massacre of some Jerusalem Jews, for contemporary letters from the Cairo Geniza seeking aid for Jews who escaped Jerusalem at the time of the Crusader siege refers to such killings. However, the same letters also clearly reveal that there were some Jewish survivors as well.[15]
Here is the so called chronicle that reports it.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Qalanisi

It is from an arab politicians account of the crusade.
This whole story is greatly exaggerated and may never have occurred at all. Only the muslim chronicle records the story of the Jews burning in the synogogue, and even the muslim didn't tell the version Beck told.

This is not a door but an arched tunnel. After the supposed synagogue burning, the old tunnel was THEN sealed and the Christians used it as a cistern for water. The Jews were not sealed behind this wall and burned alive. The tunnel was bricked after the siege and used as a water cistern. Obviously bodies would not be inside a tunnel converted for human drinking water. The cistern was examined in the 80's and there is no reports listed of bodies being found.
Beck's story is pure crap. Someone needs to call him out on this one. Only one Muslim account tells of the story, and even that is biased because its known that many Muslims and Jews were allowed to leave Jerusalem unharmed.

http://www.generationword.com/jerusalem1...-gate.html
Here is another site showing the old walled gate. It mentions the destruction of the synagogue at the base of the archway during the crusades. There is no stories of burned alive Jews buried behind the wall. The wall was used as a water cistern by the Christians. The Jews did, however, try to take apart the blocks from the arch to enter it, and the muslims stopped them. No mention of bodies. Clearly the Beck story is a fabrication of multiple stories that were cobbled together. :sneaky:
(05-21-2011, 03:57 PM)Petertherock Wrote: I like him when he talks about politics and the budget but when he starts in with religion and Israel he's a whack job.

Like so many others on the American Right these days...
(05-21-2011, 01:46 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(05-21-2011, 01:28 PM)Melkite Wrote: I missed that one, what did he say about the council of nicaea?

Oh, you are in for a treat.

Wow, he really is a moron.
What's dangerous about him is he raises the founders to saints. He has said the founding documents were inspired by God. In pagan terms he is making the founders into gods. While America's founders were pretty smart they are not saints, nor pagan gods. His reverential attitude should disturb everyone. He is a utopian as well as the progressives. He is saying if we return to our "founding principles" we will be the utopia all of the sainted have envisioned for us. His message is if you believe, no matter if you are poor and realize the brunt of the fix will rest squarely on your suffering, it will be better for you. He is asking the working class to do without while he and the folks that have money (usury) will be just fine. Employment is roughly 17% by real counting, and there are no jobs, except a few. What has always led us out of recession are small businesses with less than about 100 employees. What the social and monetary engineers have done for the last 25 years is insure there will never be those types of businesses, except in certain places, like tv celebrities and their staff, or Bernie Madoff.

I'm not suggesting some social nanny state. I'm asking for a level playing field. If folks can get small loans for start ups, then the country will recover. Medium sized companies do not lead the way, they do not add that many employees. They are already too unweildy. Everything is planned. taking away all of the Aha moments. Big companies are in death spirals. They are canabalizing their world. Mergers and Acquistions is another name for getting rid of half the employees.

Beck is as much of a shill for the hidden overlords as Obama.

tim
(05-22-2011, 07:32 AM)timoose Wrote: What's dangerous about him is he raises the founders to saints. He has said the founding documents were inspired by God. In pagan terms he is making the founders into gods. While America's founders were pretty smart they are not saints, nor pagan gods. His reverential attitude should disturb everyone. He is a utopian as well as the progressives. He is saying if we return to our "founding principles" we will be the utopia all of the sainted have envisioned for us. His message is if you believe, no matter if you are poor and realize the brunt of the fix will rest squarely on your suffering, it will be better for you. He is asking the working class to do without while he and the folks that have money (usury) will be just fine. Employment is roughly 17% by real counting, and there are no jobs, except a few. What has always led us out of recession are small businesses with less than about 100 employees. What the social and monetary engineers have done for the last 25 years is insure there will never be those types of businesses, except in certain places, like tv celebrities and their staff, or Bernie Madoff.

I'm not suggesting some social nanny state. I'm asking for a level playing field. If folks can get small loans for start ups, then the country will recover. Medium sized companies do not lead the way, they do not add that many employees. They are already too unweildy. Everything is planned. taking away all of the Aha moments. Big companies are in death spirals. They are canabalizing their world. Mergers and Acquistions is another name for getting rid of half the employees.

Beck is as much of a shill for the hidden overlords as Obama.

tim

Fine post; the quasi canonization of the American Founders has always disturbed me. Not that I don't think many of their ideas were sound nor that their rebellion wasn't ultimately justified, but a cursory reading of the Constitution doesn't suggest that it was like many on the American Right believe it to be.

Ah well; the Constitution is a great way to hem in Leftists, and as such we ought to take advantage of it. But, a sober understanding of it is in order, and also of those who wrote it. They were not demons, but they were not angels, either.