What did you just order?
My copy of Rev. Victor Warkulwiz's tome The Doctrines of Genesis 1-11: A Compendium and Defense of Traditional Catholic Theology on Origins arrived! I'm looking forward to starting it once I'm finished with EM Jones's Logos Rising.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"But thanks be to God through our Lord Jesus Christ, who has transported us out of darkness into his marvelous light when through these lights exteriorly given we are disposed to reenter the mirror of our mind in which divine realities shine forth."
-St. Bonaventure, Itinerarium
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • formerbuddhist
(05-24-2020, 04:17 PM)Augustinian Wrote: My copy of Rev. Victor Warkulwiz's tome The Doctrines of Genesis 1-11: A Compendium and Defense of Traditional Catholic Theology on Origins arrived! I'm looking forward to starting it once I'm finished with EM Jones's Logos Rising.
For a Catholic take on Genesis it's a phenomenal book.  I used to have a copy of it.  It's not as patristic as Seraphim Rose's magnum opus but it's still pretty good.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 1 user Likes formerbuddhist's post:
  • Augustinian
(05-16-2020, 10:28 AM)Birdie Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 06:02 PM)Birdie Wrote: No. Amazon gave me a refund and I bought another one which should be here today, coincidentally.
It's officially late. :'(

Did it ever show up?
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

I just ordered a digital scale because I'm finally tapering off a long term kratom addiction.  

A pair of jeans.  

An abridged version of Casanovas "Story of my Life"

"Timeless Spring, A Soto Zen Anthology"

Oliver Clement's "Transfiguring Time"
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
This was yesterday, but, a wayside shrine, likely to go in the Mary garden, or near it.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dahveed's post:
  • Augustinian
(05-24-2020, 05:11 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Did it ever show up?
yes, thank goodness! It’s fantastic! Sews like greased lightening. I’ve already cut down a duvet cover and am planning to finish a quilt.
(05-24-2020, 05:06 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 04:17 PM)Augustinian Wrote: My copy of Rev. Victor Warkulwiz's tome The Doctrines of Genesis 1-11: A Compendium and Defense of Traditional Catholic Theology on Origins arrived! I'm looking forward to starting it once I'm finished with EM Jones's Logos Rising.
For a Catholic take on Genesis it's a phenomenal book.  I used to have a copy of it.  It's not as patristic as Seraphim Rose's magnum opus but it's still pretty good.

Now you've got me even more excited to read it! I'm glad to hear you thought it was so good
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"But thanks be to God through our Lord Jesus Christ, who has transported us out of darkness into his marvelous light when through these lights exteriorly given we are disposed to reenter the mirror of our mind in which divine realities shine forth."
(Yesterday, 11:12 AM)Augustinian Wrote:

Now you've got me even more excited to read it! I'm glad to hear you thought it was so good
He really tries to look at Genesis through the lens of RC dogma and  pre Vatican II RC (Scholastic) metaphysics. I'm not sure if he's affiliated with the Kolbe Center or not but that's where I first heard about the book from.  

I certainly thought it was a decent book.  So many RC books since Humani generis have taken a pro evolution tack but that one doesn't.  It was interesting in that regard, and I have to give props to Father Warkulwiz for taking a very very unpopular tack in Catholic circles.  

You'll have to let me know how you like it.  Only reason I eventually got rid of it was because I was doing some spring cleaning and got rid of pretty much all my RC books aside from some Cistercian Press Homilies of St. Bernard (who I love)  and my breviary. Had I known you wanted a copy I'd have sent it to you.

(Yesterday, 02:04 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:

You'll have to let me know how you like it.  Only reason I eventually got rid of it was because I was doing some spring cleaning and got rid of pretty much all my RC books aside from some Cistercian Press Homilies of St. Bernard (who I love)  and my breviary. Had I known you wanted a copy I'd have sent it to you.

That's alright, I had $70 in rewards points on my cc to burn anyway. I'm not surprised you kept St. Bernard, what little I've read of him has been astounding.

(Yesterday, 07:10 PM)Augustinian Wrote:
(Yesterday, 02:04 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:

That's alright, I had $70 in rewards points on my cc to burn anyway. I'm not surprised you kept St. Bernard, what little I've read of him has been astounding.
His homily on the name of Christ is one of those sermons that you want to read over and over.  It is absolutely beautiful.  His name is oil poured out.  It's on the verse from Canticle of Canticles (Song of Songs) but he turns it into a meditation on the Name. 

Bernard of Claiurvaux had a real way with words.  You should get some of those Homily collections from Cistercian Pubs if you enjoy that style of writing. What the classical Cistercians lacked in iconography they made up for with words.  Cistercian pubs used to have his sermons grouped for the Liturgical year, so you could follow his train of thought on different feasts and seasons.  Bernards favorite was Ascension, but I go way off on a tangent.....