Father Cantalamessa:Natural disasters are not a divine punishment
(05-26-2011, 11:30 AM)Melkite Wrote: As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle.  Certainly most natural disasters are nothing more than that, but only a fool would say God would never use a natural disaster as a chatisement.

A fool like Cantalamessa.
The evil God does purifies, never corrupts.
(05-26-2011, 11:30 AM)Melkite Wrote: As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle.  Certainly most natural disasters are nothing more than that, but only a fool would say God would never use a natural disaster as a chatisement.

+1
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(05-26-2011, 12:04 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: The evil God does purifies, never corrupts.

God doesn't "do" evil.  Evil exists only under the pretense of rejecting God and withdrawing from him, just as darkness "exists" in the absence of light.  Because God is all good, all good comes from him.  When we leave him we are "left" only with evil.  He does not create it and it only exists as a way of describing those places actions and situations where he is rejected.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(05-26-2011, 12:26 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(05-26-2011, 12:04 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote: The evil God does purifies, never corrupts.

God doesn't "do" evil.  Evil exists only under the pretense of rejecting God and withdrawing from him, just as darkness "exists" in the absence of light.  Because God is all good, all good comes from him.  When we leave him we are "left" only with evil.  He does not create it and it only exists as a way of describing those places actions and situations where he is rejected.

God is the author of the evil that punishes, but not the evil that defiles. Summa Theologiae, Part I, Q. 49, Art 2.