Rogation Days
Reminder that the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday before Ascension Thursday are Rogation Days in which the Church would have us pray the Litany of the Saints.   Ascension Thursday is a Holy Day of Obligation.

EDITED to ADD the Litany  --  http://www.breviary.net/misc/litanysaints.htm

I love rogation days, singing the litany of the saints! Have not attended one in so long though.
Beating the bounds?  Yes, please. 
I honestly don't understand what benefit the Canadian Bishops saw in getting rid of most of the Holy Days of Obligation.  I think I'd have to go into the States to find a Mass for Ascension Thursday.  Ah well.
(05-29-2011, 03:47 PM)Pheo Wrote: I honestly don't understand what benefit the Canadian Bishops saw in getting rid of most of the Holy Days of Obligation.  I think I'd have to go into the States to find a Mass for Ascension Thursday.  Ah well.

You won't find one here, either, at least in most dioceses - instead we get Ascension Thursday Sunday.
Almost universally, Ascension Thursday has been moved three days to Sunday.  Even in the Philippines.

It is clear from the Scriptures that Christ's Ascension to Heaven was forty days (40 is one of several notable numbers in Scripture) after HIs Resurrection, not 43.  That messes up a whole slew of important dates.  And it is also clear that Pentecost happened 10 days after the Ascension and fifty days after the Resurrection.  So, then, what are in the minds of the Holy Father and his bishops when they tamper which is scriptural disregarding the warning that nothing can be added or taken out what has been ordained in the holy Scriptures..

A poor rationale:  We already know that the USCCB has moved all holydays of obligation to Sunday if the holyday fell on a Friday or a Monday. The reason, aside from this being another Vatican II conciliar novelty, is not to inconvenience the faithful and burden him from his already overburdened day at work and make him go to Mass. The rationale, it seems, is that since many -- the majority perhaps! -- of the faithful will not attend Mass on a Friday or Monday, is to prevent him from committing a mortal sin, so the bishops lamely rationalize, "let's just take away the obligation so that nobody commits sin." Ha! How brilliant these bishops are. But really...and sadly, they are unaware or do not know -- or are even ignorant -- of the VALUE of one Mass and the sanctifying graces that can be obtained from this one Mass that they are depriving the faithful from receiving. The bishops believe they are doing a favor by abolishing the obligation. They should read St. Leonard and St. John Vianney and what other saints have written on the value of one holy Mass.

Yeah, but it's okay to go to the Mall.
Anybody in the Sacramento area on Tuesday (Lodi, California highway 99 off armstrong road) there is a blessing of the fields, a tour of the milk dairy and a Latin Mass at 10:30 by a FSSP priest, with lunch afterwards. It's the annual traditional Rogation Day at the Kaehler Dairy....All are Welcome!!.............Tuesday May 31st at 10:30 it starts.
My diocese has Ascension moved to Sunday like normal.  Unitl recently, there was no place to go to Ascension on Thursday b/c even the SSPX chapel here doesn't have a resident priest.

The next diocese over - I will have to drive an hour - started an EF parish a year ago & They  are celebrating the Ascension on THURSDAY!  I will drive an hour and use the extra gas just to go!
Does this mean Wednesday is a Rogation Day?
The rogation days, another beautiful traditional custom that has sadly fallen out of use. Is anyone in a parish where the processions and the litanies are still done?