Why do only stupid threads get attention here?
The dumber the threads, the more attention they get. I used to go on controversial sites and attempt to chat with people, hoping I could meet kindred spirits: people who aren't geniuses but sincere and at least reasonably intelligent.

Still, despite the supposed Christianity of this site, I've had the same experience here as everywhere. Stupid people get the attention and "rep" points, most of these posts go nowhere, intelligent threads are sabotaged within 5 replies (while the moderator does nothing), people are rude and obnoxious, and this site in particular sends me requests for money all of the time.

Does anyone else notice this? I get REALLY frustrated by it, as you can tell.

I disagree that the "dumber" threads get more attention - if they're that stupid, I usually ignore them. And this is as much a social forum as anything, so people talk about things other than philosophy or theology all the time. If you're only interested in that stuff, limit your reading to those sub-forums. There are rude and obnoxious people here, just like there are everywhere. If it really gets you down, try taking a break from the forum.
I've never gotten a request for money.
(05-29-2011, 01:19 PM)mistman Wrote: The dumber the threads, the more attention they get. I used to go on controversial sites and attempt to chat with people, hoping I could meet kindred spirits: people who aren't geniuses but sincere and at least reasonably intelligent.
What happens if this thread gets a lot of attention?

Quote:Does anyone else notice this? I get REALLY frustrated by it, as you can tell.

Most art produced (film, music, etc) is not worthy of attention. Most written works are not worthy of attention. It passes in time.

There are some sites where the majority of topics are pretty intelligent, but those forums are small with a select group. I own such a forum. Never once has there been any need for an act of moderation, and all threads are written well and conducted well.

It is a very small forum with members who were attracted to it. Since it is a member of people with various experiences and knowledge, but all on the same page, discussion is not that common except when it is something truly worthy of attention.

It is not exciting, but it is edifying.
(05-29-2011, 01:29 PM)piabee Wrote: I've never gotten a request for money.

Can you lend me a dollar?
(05-29-2011, 01:19 PM)mistman Wrote: The dumber the threads, the more attention they get. I used to go on controversial sites and attempt to chat with people, hoping I could meet kindred spirits: people who aren't geniuses but sincere and at least reasonably intelligent.

Still, despite the supposed Christianity of this site, I've had the same experience here as everywhere. Stupid people get the attention and "rep" points, most of these posts go nowhere, intelligent threads are sabotaged within 5 replies (while the moderator does nothing), people are rude and obnoxious, and this site in particular sends me requests for money all of the time.

Does anyone else notice this? I get REALLY frustrated by it, as you can tell.

I, also, have not received any requests for money.  We do not get rep points here.  We used to be awarded "fishies" by other readers, but that was discontinued for whatever reason.

Threads are sabotaged in 5 replies?  Nah.  It could be that folks just don't have anything intelligent to say.  I doubt it has anything to do with malicious sabotage.  Often, mistman, when I am on this forum, I like to share an idea with the folks here and see what other people think.  And often, I am hoping that people will take the proposed subject in a new direction I haven't thought of before.  But that does not happen as often as I would like.  Sometimes people just don't have anything to say, I find.  And sometimes, people respond with sarcasm and jaded responses because that is all they have to offer.  And such is life, and such is people.  I would not blame this site, though.

You say that dumber threads get more attention?  Share an example or two so I know what you are talking about.  Or are you, also, someone who's ran out of things to say?
(05-29-2011, 01:36 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: I, also, have not received any requests for money.  We do not get rep points here.  We used to be awarded "fishies" by other readers, but that was discontinued for whatever reason.
The person might be referring to another forum, not this one.

Quote:You say that dumber threads get more attention?  Share an example or two so I know what you are talking about.  Or are you, also, someone who's ran out of things to say?

In general, it is true. A thread about a precise and in depth theological question will get less attention than "are slit skirts modest" because it is easier to post on certain topics than others.
[Image: thread.jpg]

I noticed that for a while too (although I wouldn't call the threads dumb, just less profound) but then I realized that very edifying threads do get attention, they just don't incite anyone to speak out about them. It's natural that we tend to speak up more about the negatives than encourage the positives. That's why parents always need to be reminded to reinforce positive behavior rather than only giving attention to negative behavior. It's something we need to work on but it's not abnormal that "dumb" threads get more attention, it's completely in keeping with our humanity.

A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something. - Plato

I think it's fair to say we've all been guilty of both. The day I don't slip into the latter group will be the day I can actually speak up. But by then I'd probably hold my peace anyway.  ;)

[Image: crybaby.jpg]