Why do only stupid threads get attention here?
It would seem to me it's as it should be. Us humans aren't very profound since the fall.  Those that can soar the intellectual heights are very small in number, which is as it should be. Without extensive testing say the Hoeflin tests it's really hard to determine if someone is really really smart. Probability would point to the majority being at double bar X with the largest population being between 1 standard deviation in either direction. It is propagandized we are much smarter now, but the numbers do not bear it out. Someone with an IQ of 120 is rare and someone with an IQ of 168 is rare in the extreme, and incidentally difficult to measure. Given all of that it seems to me this is one pretty smart forum, it's just that most humans aren't in the same league as St. Thomas Aquinas, or for that matter Slats Grobnik.

tim 
(05-29-2011, 01:19 PM)mistman Wrote: The dumber the threads, the more attention they get. I used to go on controversial sites and attempt to chat with people, hoping I could meet kindred spirits: people who aren't geniuses but sincere and at least reasonably intelligent.

Still, despite the supposed Christianity of this site, I've had the same experience here as everywhere. Stupid people get the attention and "rep" points, most of these posts go nowhere, intelligent threads are sabotaged within 5 replies (while the moderator does nothing), people are rude and obnoxious, and this site in particular sends me requests for money all of the time.

Does anyone else notice this? I get REALLY frustrated by it, as you can tell.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlS2JzppS3uBwiXsRn9OQ...QBeAGn&t=1]

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

You brought this on yourself.  Take this to 25 pages, everyone?  ;)
Try starting some smart threads then  :laughing:
(05-29-2011, 01:40 PM)Spooky Wrote: [Image: thread.jpg]

Heh, heh, heh.   Thought you gave it the coup de grace, eh?   Not so fast, Spooky.   N-----o-----t   sooooo  fast.

Walty's "To what are you currently listening"  (lightweight) has been going strong for some time now.    But Melita's 'Art Poll" (middleweight) is also chugging along.   Who woulda thunk?   Do these disparate threads have anything in common that would account for their longevity?  

(05-29-2011, 02:55 PM)Salmagundi Wrote: Walty's "To what are you currently listening"  (lightweight) has been going strong for some time now.    But Melita's 'Art poll" (middleweight) is also chugging along.   Who woulda thunk?   Do these disparate threads have anything in common that would account for their longevity?  

We all like to talk about ourselves and think everyone else should know what we're listening to and what we think about art?    :P

Anyway, I'm definitely pulling for this thread, since apparently the dumber they are, the more attention they get.  Ad multa responsa, old boy!

But what do I know?  I thought this was a Christian website...    :laughing:
I don't know about "stupid" threads getting all the attention while the "intelligent" threads are ignored. But I have noticed that sometimes a member will make a well thought-out and well expressed argument only to be dismissed with some idiotic remark and/or touchy-feelyness. Also, threads get derailed easily and there is some lack of charity. That is why The Harbor and the Theologia et Philosophia sub-forums were created.

This sort of stuff is common in forums where there is a variety of people but where there also is a small number of regular posters, so that there is some sense of community.
This is my idea of intellectual stimulation:

[Image: clown_funeral.jpg]
I very rarely ever start a thread b/c I don't have the talent to start something interesting, however, I've noticed on other threads the more controversial the topic the more responses you'll get.  :thumb:
I sort of sympathize with you Mistman. But I have never received a request for money from here. I certainly have been bombarded by other Forums for dollars. Two years ago I had to call them and tell them to quit bugging me for money. A month later I got myself thrown off the site (my own fault). Then last month they e-mailed me for a monthly donation again. There are several other sites that evidently share sunscriber lists as "partner organizations".

I'm finding that the majority of the comments on ALL Forums are pretty much not worth the time for a response.
(05-29-2011, 05:29 PM)FaustinaClare Wrote: I very rarely ever start a thread b/c I don't have the talent to start something interesting

Well, according to the OP, it'd probably just make you a  :dunce:, anyway.  So, good call.    :laughing: