Why do only stupid threads get attention here?
Hence this thread huh..hehe :laughing: :laughing:
(05-29-2011, 10:33 PM)Scipio_a Wrote: check out how stuoid this thread is....tons of replies and view...the OP can congratulate himself.

But, you know, things could always get dumber.  This thread definitely needs:  1.)  more image macros and 2.) unrelated discussion.  We can make this the dumbest thread in the history of FE.  Okay, second dumbest:  Our hearts go out to you, Wee Willy, wherever you are.
Okay
(05-29-2011, 10:09 PM)verenaerin Wrote:
(05-29-2011, 09:50 PM)BlessedMotherPrayforUs Wrote:
(05-29-2011, 09:38 PM)verenaerin Wrote:
(05-29-2011, 09:35 PM)BlessedMotherPrayforUs Wrote:
(05-29-2011, 08:21 PM)verenaerin Wrote:
(05-29-2011, 07:55 PM)BlessedMotherPrayforUs Wrote:
(05-29-2011, 03:08 PM)verenaerin Wrote:I am not very intellectual. It's not my thing. I have a friend who is highly intelligent, all her children are too. They excel in language, arts, math, science, etc. Personally, I hope that my children are of average intelligence. It seems that the uber smart are difficult to raise and have difficulty accepting God and the faith. I don't know if it's pride, or just they way they are wired- they have to understand everything? IDK.

How can you say the uber smart are difficult to raise and have difficulty accepting God and believe it ot be pride?  Based on one "friend"? Raising an above average and very high IQ child is not difficult nor do they have difficulty accepting God and the faith when they come from very solid Catholic home where they were taught well and by example.  This is a sad generalization you make.

My siblings are very, very smart, especially my brother. I don't envy his cross at all. I think he is so used to figuring it all out, that he has a hard time accepting Catholicism, because you can't figure God out. There are things that have to be accepted on faith. I've seen this often. I don't know the reason- as I have stated. I wonder if it is pride or just they way that certain people come to understand things. I was speaking to my experience. If yours is different, that's great. I don't think that all intelligent children reject God or any such nonsense. But in my experience, it seems a little or a lot harder for them.
Being smart is not a cross, if you see it as such then I guess you will treat it as such. Is your brother's cross and disconnect with God more from being from a broken home where your father was absent.  You have said you struggled to accept God as your Father because of how your earthly father abandoned and mistreated your family.  Does the struggle to accept Catholicism and God come from your father not being there for them as  children and showing them a good example of a faithful Catholic Man.   Did the absence of your father cause your siblings to see the faith as your Mother's faith and religions practices only.  Could the cross he bears be the pains of a broken home and termoil suffered as a child?  Could this be the reason your brother has a hard time accepting Catholicism. 
People with very high IQ's can be wonderful faithful Catholics that don't bear their being smart as a cross or struggle to accept God or the faith. 

I'm glad your experience is different.

Maybe one day your siblings will see being smart is not a cross as you have stated and heal from the root of what makes them question God and the faith.    

They don't see it as a cross. I am sure they have never thought of anything like that. Or, any of the other people I have come across in life who seem to always have to figure it all out. It seems that many people spend their life studying philosophers and theories and principles, that I couldn't even begin to understand. They are so smart, but can't wrap their head around God. As I said before, it is like they have to understand God to accept Him. But that is impossible. I rather be simple minded and accept Him just because.

Any of the gifts God has given us can be used, by us, to help or hinder our faith. I think my crosses are pretty easy most of the time. I have great sympathy for those whose intelligence hinders them from accepting God, instead of helping them, it seems very difficult.
Your thoughts have changed.   
(05-29-2011, 10:37 PM)EcceQuamBonum Wrote: But, you know, things could always get dumber.  This thread definitely needs:  1.)  more image macros and 2.) unrelated discussion.  We can make this the dumbest thread in the history of FE.

[Image: 7sqtzp7ssn-t.jpg]
(05-29-2011, 01:19 PM)mistman Wrote: The dumber the threads, the more attention they get.

One more post and this thread officially attains Very-Hot-Topic status.    Does this support the op's thesis?
All I can say is Eccl.3 and especially this;

[11] He hath made all things good in their time, and hath delivered the world to their consideration, so that man cannot find out the work which God hath made from the beginning to the end. [12] And I have known that there was no better thing than to rejoice, and to do well in this life. [13] For every man that eateth and drinketh, and seeth good of his labour, this is the gift of God.

You can even check out the tune which popularized the scripture by Mc Guin nd the Byrds, a contemporary of mine and a graduate of Chicago Latin, an extremely prestigious school here in Chicago. Then later becoming an oriental kooky religionist, but having a hit with "turn turn turn".

tim
A lot of people aren't anywhere near as intelligent as they think they are.
(05-30-2011, 08:44 AM)Iolanthe Wrote: A lot of people aren't anywhere near as intelligent as they think they are.

Related to the Dunning–Kruger effect.
I wee Todd id.

I so wee Todd id.

Am I wheel E wee Todd id?

[Image: disappointed.jpg]