No additional Latin Masses says Archbishop - Universae Ecclesia
If only I could be the Pope...I would fire these anti-Trad Bishops and put real Bishops in place.

Even pro-Trad bishops can't make priests who don't know how start saying the TLM.  A lot of priests don't even know Latin.  It is going to take time to get the TLM as wide-spread as it ought to be.  We need to be patient and not have unreasonable expectations.  Otherwise trads get a reputation as cranky complainers.
(05-29-2011, 07:51 PM)JayneK Wrote: Even pro-Trad bishops can't make priests who don't know how start saying the TLM.  A lot of priests don't even know Latin.  It is going to take time to get the TLM as wide-spread as it ought to be.  We need to be patient and not have unreasonable expectations.  Otherwise trads get a reputation as cranky complainers.

The problem is the Bishops aren't having priests learn the Latin Mass. In our very own diocese our Bishop told us all 3 years ago that he was going to get additional priests trained in the Latin Mass...that lasted a couple of weeks until all the priests he sent to learn the Mass quit the training.

(05-29-2011, 07:56 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(05-29-2011, 07:51 PM)JayneK Wrote: Even pro-Trad bishops can't make priests who don't know how start saying the TLM.  A lot of priests don't even know Latin.  It is going to take time to get the TLM as wide-spread as it ought to be.  We need to be patient and not have unreasonable expectations.  Otherwise trads get a reputation as cranky complainers.

The problem is the Bishops aren't having priests learn the Latin Mass. In our very own diocese our Bishop told us all 3 years ago that he was going to get additional priests trained in the Latin Mass...that lasted a couple of weeks until all the priests he sent to learn the Mass quit the training.

In my archdiocese they have reformed the seminary program, added an extra year and made Latin mandatory.  Different bishops are responding different ways and it is neither helpful nor accurate to make blanket condemnations of bishops.
(05-29-2011, 08:00 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(05-29-2011, 07:56 PM)Petertherock Wrote:

In my archdiocese they have reformed the seminary program, added an extra year and made Latin mandatory.  Different bishops are responding different ways and it is neither helpful nor accurate to make blanket condemnations of bishops.

Though certain individual Bishops are fully deserving of specific and vociferous criticism.

Much comes down to the seminaries.  Many seminaries do not teach Latin, or they teach one year of Latin.  This Bishops are, of course, in charge of their seminaries.
(05-29-2011, 08:20 PM)Christus Imperat Wrote: Though certain individual Bishops are fully deserving of specific and vociferous criticism.

Much comes down to the seminaries.  Many seminaries do not teach Latin, or they teach one year of Latin.  This Bishops are, of course, in charge of their seminaries.

I agree on both points. 
(05-29-2011, 08:47 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(05-29-2011, 08:20 PM)Christus Imperat Wrote: Though certain individual Bishops are fully deserving of specific and vociferous criticism.

I agree on both points. 

Perhaps our Bishop knows of some new priests coming that have been properly trained in Latin to say the Latin Mass...I can hope anyway.

It's good to hear that some bishops are reforming the seminaries, teaching Latin again, etc.  But there's one extremely obvious thing a "pro-trad" bishop could do to show his support for the TLM: learn to say it himself and do so now and then.  It's one (good) thing to allow your seminarians to attend it, or to allow "stable groups of faithful" to have it here and there.  It'd be quite another, much more striking thing for a bishop to announce that one Mass every week at the cathedral will be a TLM.  (If he feels he's beyond learning to do it himself, he could bring in a trained priest to say it, but still have it at the cathedral where it would get a lot of attention.)

Is there a single diocesan bishop doing anything like that?  Right now, we have bishops who are permissive toward the TLM out of obedience, but I'm not sure how many are really friendly or supportive toward it.  They seem like non-radical vegetarians: I don't eat meat and don't think people should, but if you want to eat meat, I won't actually use force to stop you.
(05-29-2011, 11:12 PM)Mhoram Wrote: It's good to hear that some bishops are reforming the seminaries, teaching Latin again, etc.  But there's one extremely obvious thing a "pro-trad" bishop could do to show his support for the TLM: learn to say it himself and do so now and then.  It's one (good) thing to allow your seminarians to attend it, or to allow "stable groups of faithful" to have it here and there.  It'd be quite another, much more striking thing for a bishop to announce that one Mass every week at the cathedral will be a TLM.  (If he feels he's beyond learning to do it himself, he could bring in a trained priest to say it, but still have it at the cathedral where it would get a lot of attention.)

Is there a single diocesan bishop doing anything like that?  Right now, we have bishops who are permissive toward the TLM out of obedience, but I'm not sure how many are really friendly or supportive toward it.  They seem like non-radical vegetarians: I don't eat meat and don't think people should, but if you want to eat meat, I won't actually use force to stop you.

A quick Google search turned up the Bishop of Fort Wayne and the Bishop of Marquette, just on the first page.  I suspect there are more if one were to put time into researching it.
I don't know if this will help but:

Coming on top of all the post-papal visit developments (Friday abstinence, the recovery of some holy days of obligation, the episcopal welcome for the ordinariate, the bishops’ pastoral letter on the new Mass translation) on which I commented in my last blog, the news that Bishop Mark Davies, the new Bishop of Shrewsbury, has agreed to the establishment of a foundation of the Institute of Christ the King, Sovereign Priest at the threatened landmark Church of Ss Peter and Paul, New Brighton, represents another considerable, though local, episcopal surge in a generally Ratzingerian direction.

Bishop Davies’s appointment to Shrewsbury, incidentally, was an important one. This is not some rural diocese in the back of beyond. It covers not just Shropshire and, illogically, the Wirral (which surely ought by rights to be in the Archdiocese of Liverpool): the diocese is enormous, and, like Portsmouth, bizarrely irrational in its boundaries: it covers the parts of Merseyside south of the River Mersey, the southern parts of Greater Manchester (which surely ought rationally to be in the Salford diocese), parts of Derbyshire, and almost all of the county of Cheshire as well.

More there V

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commenta...e-forward/