Poll: I can readily recognize.....
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Name Your Poison
Poison ivy is fairly common in my area.   It can pop up anywhere, anytime, even on concrete in winter, it seems.   I've read the descriptions, studied the illustrations, visually examined the living creature, and thought I could always recognize it.    Now I'm not so sure.   There are other plants that to the untutored eye closely resemble poison ivy, mainly by displaying the characteristic trifoliate, light or dark green leaves.  Is there a unique, unmistakable characteristic by which a quick and accurate identification can be made?

Since hastily writing the above, I did what I should have done in the first place and checked Wikipedia.  It  lists a number of practical mnemonic phrases for recognizing poison ivy.  It also describes several similar-looking plants.  Nevertheless, I'd still be very interested in viewing the results of the poll and in seeing what others have to say about the subject.
(05-30-2011, 10:07 AM)Salmagundi Wrote: Is there a unique, unmistakable characteristic by which a quick and accurate identification can be made?
I've never had trouble recognising it.

Perhaps more familiarity with plants would help. I have never seen something which I thought was poison ivy which wasn't, and I have never failed to recognise poison ivy.

Quote:Since hastily writing the above, I did what I should have done in the first place and checked Wikipedia.  It  lists a number of practical mnemonic phrases for recognizing poison ivy.  It also describes several similar-looking plants.  Nevertheless, I'd still be very interested in viewing the results of the poll and in seeing what others have to say about the subject.

The best way is to be familiar with the plants. Find samples of them in the wild. Pictures can only do so much.
Poison ivy, poison oak & (my fave) poison pen letters  :laughing: