Father Stravinskas Dismisses Homeschooling

Editor: We've always thought that Father Stravinskas was too liberal. If you'll look at the poll taken at Our Sunday Visitor, you'll see that the support for homeschooling seems enormous, over seventy one percent of those responding at this point. Here's a report:

http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/2011...isses.html
Actually, I know a bunch of liberals and even seculars who homeschool. I was under the impression that homeschooling was becoming more mainstream.
(05-30-2011, 11:30 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Actually, I know a bunch of liberals and even seculars who homeschool. I was under the impression that homeschooling was becoming more mainstream.

I suppose anyone who doesn't have to contend with substandard Government monopolies, won't.  The truth of the matter is that homeschooled kids stay in one piece, both psychologically and physically, and they learn better, score better on standardized tests and are in demand from places like Harvard University.

Then you get a guy who keeps getting kicked out of the parishes he comes to because of financial mismanagement and high-handedness, and I'm thinking, wow, you're really out of touch.

Anyway.... people will opt out of government programs if they can afford it.
I would say that catholic schools or a good private school would be preferable. I hate to say it but most children i have met who have been homeschooled are socially mal formed and have difficulty later on in life because of it.
(05-30-2011, 11:30 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Actually, I know a bunch of liberals and even seculars who homeschool. I was under the impression that homeschooling was becoming more mainstream.

It is.

I know families who have homeschooled for a variety of reasons: living in rural areas, student has medical issues that make physically going to school too difficult, student needs a flexible schedule due to elite career (the families I've known have been figure skating families, but it's common in hollywood and the music biz too), family is in another country due to the father's work, etc.

(05-30-2011, 11:30 PM)Fr.Deacon S  Wrote: I would say that catholic schools or a good private school would be preferable. I hate to say it but most children i have met who have been homeschooled are socially mal formed and have difficulty later on in life because of it.

Very few of the homeschooled students I know have social issues, and in the few cases where they did, it seemed to have more to do with the family itself.  There's really only one case I can think of off the top of my head, and that was a hippie family.  Their daughter went to my high school and had been homeschooled up to that point.  She wasn't really sure of how to interact with others, but did eventually come out of her shell to hang out with other hippie kids.  Her family was very odd, though, and wouldn't allow her to wax her unibrow or dress like the rest of us -- and she condemed those of us who did take any sort of pride in how we presented ourselves.  She came across as a snob, but not in the way you usually think -- she was snobish against people who were too fashionable.  And to her that seemed ot mean people who'd spent more than five minutes on hair and grooming.  :p
The effects of homeschooling: a mixed bag in my observations. I know some people who you can tell were homeschooled without ever raising the question. Others seem the same as public schooled kids. Most homeschoolers I know seem to be a little smarter than usual, but I also know some homeschoolers who are embarrassingly stupid.
(05-30-2011, 11:38 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote:

I suppose anyone who doesn't have to contend with substandard Government monopolies, won't.  The truth of the matter is that homeschooled kids stay in one piece, both psychologically and physically, and they learn better, score better on standardized tests and are in demand from places like Harvard University.

I don't know about that.  In my experience homeschooled kids aren't very flexible as far as being able to adjust to society.  In general, they lack interactive and communicative skills.  Kids go to school to learn how to behave and interact as much as they do to learn (and those who go to public school probably do more of the former) and as far as being better fit physically, I haven't run into a school that doesn't mandate PE.  Besides that in a large public school a child is, besides gym class, forced to traverse large staircases from class to class.  Neither of these factors are usual for homeschooling.

Are you saying that homeschooled kids are more likely to get into a renowned university?  I'm asking because all you said was that they're in demand from places like that to which I would respond "so are public and private school kids."  So what are you saying there?
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
We are often asked if we are accredited.  The answer is not only "No we are not"....but in addition....."Nor will we ever be!"

If someone ever tells you that your child cannot get into college if they don't graduate from an accredited high school.....they are either misinformed.....or outright lying.

Hundreds of thousands of home-schooled children get into college every year without a problem.  In fact, Harvard and Yale prefer homeschooled children as they know that they have been grounded in the basics.

http://www.kentchristianacademy.net/accreditation.html
Note: actually, I find homeschoolers more wholesome and resistant to the depravity of the outside world.  Children who attend public institutions seem to be more sexualized, given to aberrant behavior and less able to cope with requirements of integrity you would expect in the best educational and job environments.

Homeschoolers Are Preferred by Colleges and Universities
Homeschool Students Typically Have Higher Test Scores and Make Better Grades
M. Kayo
M. Kayo, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Jul 1, 2010 "Contribute content like this. Start Here."

It seems that institutions of higher learning all across the U.S. are readily accepting homeschool students in numbers well above the normal percentages of kids educated in the public
AdChoices

school system. The University of Arizona has considered homeschool applicants as attractive candidates for admission noting that 20 of 24 homeschool applicants were admitted in 2008.

The number of kids homeschooled in the U.S. has been steadily increasing over the last decade. In the January 5, 2009 edition of USA Today.com in an article titled, "Home schooling grows," Janice Lloyd states that the "number of home-schooled kids hit 1.5 million in 2007, up 74% from when the Department of Education's national Center for Education Statistics started keeping track in 1999." In 2010, the number of homeshoolers is approaching 2 million students.

http://forum.associatedcontent.com/artic...html?cat=4
(05-31-2011, 01:05 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(05-30-2011, 11:38 PM)Augstine Baker Wrote:

I don't know about that.  In my experience homeschooled kids aren't very flexible as far as being able to adjust to society.  In general, they lack interactive and communicative skills.  Kids go to school to learn how to behave and interact as much as they do to learn (and those who go to public school probably do more of the former) and as far as being better fit physically, I haven't run into a school that doesn't mandate PE.  Besides that in a large public school a child is, besides gym class, forced to traverse large staircases from class to class.  Neither of these factors are usual for homeschooling.

Are you saying that homeschooled kids are more likely to get into a renowned university?  I'm asking because all you said was that they're in demand from places like that to which I would respond "so are public and private school kids."  So what are you saying there?

I wonder what kind of homeschool kids you've met.  I was homeschooled and I know a good deal of people who were (or are being) homeschooled.  I have yet to see this inability to adjust to society, unless you mean an inability to accept the immoral practices so commonly found among those who attend regular schools.  These people are well-learned, very good at interacting with others, and do not have difficulty getting into schools or finding work.  I have, however, met a large number of socially inept people who have been "educated" in our beloved school system, or even in private schools, both Catholic and non-Catholic.  After the people I've seen who come out of those schools, I find it hard to believe that these schools teach the kids "how to behave".  Perhaps they do, but they don't teach them how to behave properly.