Going to hell for rejecting vocation?
(05-31-2011, 08:13 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote:
(05-31-2011, 08:04 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Are you asking if those who don't join the clergy are going to hell?  Are you serious?  Take a step back and a deep breath and ask yourself that question again. 

Quote:Is it fair to compare a young man's discernment in modern day society to that of the 12 apostles themselves 2,000 years ago? Or are they slightly different callings?

It is always right to view ourselves in contrast with the saints.  We should imitate their and Christ's life.  That doesn't mean we are all called to be in a religious order. 

Again, I think its best if you bring up these frequent concerns regarding your vocation to a priest.  If the way is truly that cloudy to you then you must seek spiritual guidance.

Yes I plan on meeting with a priest  this week for sure. I went on a date the other night, and it went really well. I was very happy for the first few hours afterwards. However, the next day I felt this huge sadness/despair/depression that I was becoming lukewarm and not following the right path God had sent to me. I am so depressed today I can't even describe it. I honestly feel sick to my stomach laying in bed in teh fetal position. And the worst part is is that I should really break up with the girl ASAP so I do not break her heart and destroy her feelings. Lately I have been looking up whether its normal to feel extremely depressed about your "calling" in life. Suprisingly, I found that there have been some saints who were not attracted to the religious life at all but did it because they thought that was what God wanted them to do, however reluctant they may be. I just read today that St. Therese's sister was not attracted to being a nun at all, but did it anyway. St Therese commended her on this because St. Therese felt that this depression/resentment her sister had towards her vocation was actually a sign it was the right one.

Again, I will bring this issue up to the priest this week I just wanted to get your opinions as well. I really don't have anyone to talk to about this. My family is set in their liberal NO ways and they have already tried to make sure that I am not pursuing the priesthood. Talking to them about this kind of stuff will just screw me up even more. Thank you.

Glad you're scheduled to meet up with a priest.  You're a convert, right?  I'm a revert.  Brother I'm no priest but if I would ever put money on scruples you'd be my horse in the race.  I will pray that this meeting goes well and that you can breathe.  For now pray to God that you might receive the grace to surrender your will over to him.  Let him show you what needs to be done.  Pray for patience.  I will too.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(05-31-2011, 08:19 PM)Aragon Wrote:
(05-31-2011, 08:04 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Are you asking if those who don't join the clergy are going to hell?  Are you serious?  Take a step back and a deep breath and ask yourself that question again. 

Quote:Is it fair to compare a young man's discernment in modern day society to that of the 12 apostles themselves 2,000 years ago? Or are they slightly different callings?

It is always right to view ourselves in contrast with the saints.  We should imitate their and Christ's life.  That doesn't mean we are all called to be in a religious order. 

Again, I think its best if you bring up these frequent concerns regarding your vocation to a priest.  If the way is truly that cloudy to you then you must seek spiritual guidance.

Yes I plan on meeting with a priest  this week for sure. I went on a date the other night, and it went really well. I was very happy for the first few hours afterwards. However, the next day I felt this huge sadness/despair/depression that I was becoming lukewarm and not following the right path God had sent to me. I am so depressed today I can't even describe it. I honestly feel sick to my stomach laying in bed in teh fetal position. And the worst part is is that I should really break up with the girl ASAP so I do not break her heart and destroy her feelings. Lately I have been looking up whether its normal to feel extremely depressed about your "calling" in life. Suprisingly, I found that there have been some saints who were not attracted to the religious life at all but did it because they thought that was what God wanted them to do, however reluctant they may be. I just read today that St. Therese's sister was not attracted to being a nun at all, but did it anyway. St Therese commended her on this because St. Therese felt that this depression/resentment her sister had towards her vocation was actually a sign it was the right one.

Again, I will bring this issue up to the priest this week I just wanted to get your opinions as well. I really don't have anyone to talk to about this. My family is set in their liberal NO ways and they have already tried to make sure that I am not pursuing the priesthood. Talking to them about this kind of stuff will just screw me up even more. Thank you.

Why would you feel depressed about going on a date? If the priesthood isn't for you then there's nothing wrong with taking a girl out for the night. But, even if you are called to be a priest, I imagine dating girls is part of the discernment of one's vocation.

I guess the answer to that is that I feel depressed not because of the date itself (it was fun and I like the woman), but because the date perhaps symbolizes me on a path to lukewarmness and pursuing liesure/personal interests instead of dedicating myself to god ASAP so I can get the ball rolling in regard to my vocation in life.
Don't date while you're discerning. This will could your mind. The girl will cloud your mind and take you away from a true vocation. While you are discerning, no dating!!!
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(05-31-2011, 08:23 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote:

Why would you feel depressed about going on a date? If the priesthood isn't for you then there's nothing wrong with taking a girl out for the night. But, even if you are called to be a priest, I imagine dating girls is part of the discernment of one's vocation.

I guess the answer to that is that I feel depressed not because of the date itself (it was fun and I like the woman), but because the date perhaps symbolizes me on a path to lukewarmness and pursuing liesure/personal interests instead of dedicating myself to god ASAP so I can get the ball rolling in regard to my vocation in life.

Being married and having a family is a vocation and a good one.  Ever heard of St Joseph?  The Blessed Virgin?  The Holy Family.  Remember that!  Having a family is a beautiful thing.  It isn't a consolation prize for those who couldn't make it as priests.  And I don't see how you're bridging the gap between having a family and being lukewarm.  Lukewarmness can happen to anyone, just look at half of our Bishops.  Being a priest didn't help them much when it came to having a balls to the wall zeal and fortitude for representing the one true Faith.

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(05-31-2011, 08:23 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:

Glad you're scheduled to meet up with a priest.  You're a convert, right?  I'm a revert.  Brother I'm no priest but if I would ever put money on scruples you'd be my horse in the race.  I will pray that this meeting goes well and that you can breathe.  For now pray to God that you might receive the grace to surrender your will over to him.  Let him show you what needs to be done.  Pray for patience.  I will too.

No Im a revert. Which definetly influences my outlook in regard to catholicism. Vatican II and NO conciliarism disgust me, I feel Vatican II was part of the secret still hidden in regard to Fatima. I feel God may be calling me to act as a soldier in the war against modernism. My depression stems from the fact that I want to do this, but I also want to be able to cuddle with a woman every now and then. Somethings gotta give.
(05-31-2011, 08:24 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Don't date while you're discerning. This will could your mind. The girl will cloud your mind and take you away from a true vocation. While you are discerning, no dating!!!

This confuses me.  How is one to discern between religious and family life if they can't date?  We kind of get a taste for religious life because we worship and pray.  But how do we get a taste for married life if we don't date?

Go thy ways, old Jack;
(05-31-2011, 08:26 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(05-31-2011, 08:23 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote:

Being married and having a family is a vocation and a good one.  Ever heard of St Joseph?  The Blessed Virgin?  The Holy Family.  Remember that!  Having a family is a beautiful thing.  It isn't a consolation prize for those who couldn't make it as priests.  And I don't see how you're bridging the gap between having a family and being lukewarm.  Lukewarmness can happen to anyone, just look at half of our Bishops.  Being a priest didn't help them much when it came to having a balls to the wall zeal and fortitude for representing the one true Faith.

Well another thing that I did today was read quotes from latin fathers like St. Augustine, St. Ambrose, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Jerome, etc. Reading them it does seem like marriage is a sort of consolation prize.

In fact some of those saints said the only good they see in marriage is that it has the potential to produce more virgins.
(05-31-2011, 08:27 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote:

No Im a revert. Which definetly influences my outlook in regard to catholicism. Vatican II and NO conciliarism disgust me, I feel Vatican II was part of the secret still hidden in regard to Fatima. I feel God may be calling me to act as a soldier in the war against modernism. My depression stems from the fact that I want to do this, but I also want to be able to cuddle with a woman every now and then. Somethings gotta give.

I'm sure most priests and seminarians want to cuddle with a woman every now and then too.
(05-31-2011, 08:27 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote:

Well if you become a priest there wont' be no cuddling with nobody!   :laughing:

You can still be a soldier for Christ as a family man.  In some respects maybe even more so as you will be raising soldiers yourself.  And there's always the option of writing about the faith and spreading it that way.  

Go thy ways, old Jack;
Saving your soul, being a witness to Catholicism and raising Catholic children also helps advance the Church. What do you think you'll be doing as a priest anyway? Vatican ninja?\

[Image: VN1.jpg]