Going to hell for rejecting vocation?
(05-31-2011, 08:21 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote:
(05-31-2011, 08:07 PM)Pheo Wrote:
(05-31-2011, 08:04 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: So was the rich young man who refused to sell his possessions and follow Christ in a state of grace after he made that decision?

He refused to even become a Christian and instead chose his worldly belongings.  He was substituting creature for Creator.  That's not even remotely similar to not following a specific vocation.

Well could it be that the rich mans "wealth" could be also be a metaphor to the masculine desire to be a husband and father? If a man flat out rejects the call because he wants a wife, isn't this the same concept of the rich man rejecting the call because he couldn't sacrifice his cash?

That was at least my interpretation when reading this passage in scripture.
This shows why the Church prohibits private interpretation of Scripture! :laughing:
(06-01-2011, 05:57 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(05-31-2011, 08:04 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: So was the rich young man who refused to sell his possessions and follow Christ in a state of grace after he made that decision?

He refused to even become a Christian and instead chose his worldly belongings.  He was substituting creature for Creator.  That's not even remotely similar to not following a specific vocation.

Well could it be that the rich mans "wealth" could be also be a metaphor to the masculine desire to be a husband and father? If a man flat out rejects the call because he wants a wife, isn't this the same concept of the rich man rejecting the call because he couldn't sacrifice his cash?

This shows why the Church prohibits private interpretation of Scripture! :laughing:

"This shows why the Church prohibits private interpretation of Scripture."

Unfortunately, catholic bible commentators of old had no idea of what was going to happen to the Church after the death of Piius XII.  If they had known, they would have understood perfectly the Apocalypse of St.John and would have made proper comments thereto.

(05-31-2011, 08:28 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(05-31-2011, 08:24 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Don't date while you're discerning. This will could your mind. The girl will cloud your mind and take you away from a true vocation. While you are discerning, no dating!!!

This confuses me.  How is one to discern between religious and family life if they can't date?  We kind of get a taste for religious life because we worship and pray.  But how do we get a taste for married life if we don't date?

I think it's best to discern either the priesthood or marriage--don't try to do both at the same time. I think you can date a couple of girls at the same time, but not the Church and a girl/girls at the same time. If you "date" the Church and a girl at the same time, the church will nearly always come out the loser, because the girl is usually much more attractive in a visceral and compelling sort of way to a guy. :) A vocation to the priesthood is a quieter and more contemplative thing to discern. It takes more work, so to speak. So, I think probably there shouldn't be other distractions around.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(06-01-2011, 06:12 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

Unfortunately, catholic bible commentators of old had no idea of what was going to happen to the Church after the death of Piius XII.  If they had known, they would have understood perfectly the Apocalypse of St.John and would have made proper comments thereto.

Scripture is timeless because it is God's word and God and His laws exist regardless of time.  Personal interpretation of scripture is unwarranted.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(06-02-2011, 07:51 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(06-01-2011, 06:12 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

Scripture is timeless because it is God's word and God and His laws exist regardless of time.  Personal interpretation of scripture is unwarranted.

Please read the newspaper everyday of your life and you will inevitably find correlation between todays' news and passages of the Apocalypse.  For example... every commercial product has a universal code stamped on it.  At the extreme right and left of the Code Bar are two vertical parallel lines that are identical to the central pair.  The central pair represents the number 6.  Two outside 66 added to the central one, is 666. 
Couple of updates. Talked to a priest today. He said the depression for lost souls MAY be a sign at the monastery, may not, but hard to tell.

I also told my parents I am thinking about the priesthood. They freaked out, said I was just doing it because I was afraid to get a job in the real world after college and that I was looking for an easy way out. I told them that I personally want to get married, but that there is a possibility in my head that God wants me to be a priest. They don't understand this, they think I am crazy, they think I should do what makes me happy. They also think Im crazy because last week I went out on a date. They said that me going on the date shows that I desire women and marriage, and that Im using the priesthood as a backup plan in case I cant find the perfect girl. My dad said he also doesnt get why I am conisdering being a priest if I am so against homosexuality, when according to him half of the priests out there are gay now. I told him the SSPX doesnt allow gay priests which is why I am attracted to it. He didnt believe me. Im 22 and i promised them I would wait until 25 before entering the seminary if in fact thats what I do. Another thing my dad called me out on was that I've only been going to the latin mass for less than a year so I don't even know what Im talking about. He said I need life experience to be a priest, and that the best priests he heard that he had respect for were ones who had real jobs for years and new had to get a paycheck. I told him that was ridiculous, a lot of saints went to the seminary/convent as teenagers, Lefebvre being one of them. He said this isnt the middle ages and preists these days need life expereince. I in turn responded to my parents quite disrespectfully I regret. I basically told them they have no credibility with me regarding religion considering they have been going to the liberal novus ordo for years and never go to confession. I said that Vatican II was the fourth secret of fatima, and that the novus ordo sacraments are bastard sacraments. I also told them that they love going to the novus ordo because nobody is ever challenged with difficult topics like hell, fatima, sins of impurity, contraception, etc. Instead everyone gets a pat on the back. I am afraid that my agreement to wait 3 years out of respect for my parents will make me get married, be happy, but possibly reject God's call.
(06-03-2011, 01:38 AM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: Couple of updates. Talked to a priest today. He said the depression for lost souls MAY be a sign at the monastery, may not, but hard to tell.I also told my parents I am thinking about the priesthood. They freaked out, said I was just doing it because I was afraid to get a job in the real world after college and that I was looking for an easy way out. I told them that I personally want to get married, but that there is a possibility in my head that God wants me to be a priest. They don't understand this, they think I am crazy, they think I should do what makes me happy. They also think Im crazy because last week I went out on a date. They said that me going on the date shows that I desire women and marriage, and that Im using the priesthood as a backup plan in case I cant find the perfect girl. My dad said he also doesnt get why I am conisdering being a priest if I am so against homosexuality, when according to him half of the priests out there are gay now. I told him the SSPX doesnt allow gay priests which is why I am attracted to it. He didnt believe me. Im 22 and i promised them I would wait until 25 before entering the seminary if in fact thats what I do. Another thing my dad called me out on was that I've only been going to the latin mass for less than a year so I don't even know what Im talking about. I in turn responded to my parents quite disrespectfully I regret. I basically told them they have no credibility with me regarding religion considering they have been going to the liberal novus ordo for years and never go to confession. I said that Vatican II was the fourth secret of fatima, and that the novus ordo sacraments are bastard sacraments. I also told them that they love going to the novus ordo because nobody is ever challenged with difficult topics like hell, fatima, sins of impurity, contraception, etc. Instead everyone gets a pat on the back. I am afraid that my agreement to wait 3 years out of respect for my parents will make me get married, be happy, but possibly reject God's call.

First off, I have bad news for Benedict XVI lovers.  To wit as follows.

Dozens of victims of child rape filed on June 1, 2011, the first European lawsuit against Benedict-Ratzinger. Belgian authorities flew to Newvatican to serve Newpope to answer charges in court for "failing to stop the assaults and rapes perpetrated by the Newchurch presbyters and bishops under his responsibility." Already some 80 child victims have joined the legal action, and more are joining daily. This is the first time in Europe that legal proceedings have been initiated against Benedict-Ratzinger in his official capacity as "head of the Holy See." The groundbreaking legal action charges that Benedict-Ratzinger "is the appointer and authority over the bishops, which means that he can be liable for their errors. In addition, he can be held liable for his own faults. He neglected to intervene himself and to give instructions, which meant that abuse was liable to continue and the damage was able to increase." Belgium's Newchurchers and government are reeling over revelations in 2010 of nearly 500 cases of sex crimes by Newchurch bishops, presbyters, and church officials, which caused thirteen suicides among the child victims. But now the worm has turned for Benedict-Ratzinger, who has been implicated in these crimes since John Paul II-Wojtyla brought him to Newrome to be Sex Crimes Czar for Newchurch. Benedict-Ratzinger is now, in several countries around the world, facing the judgment of the criminal and civil courts. Newpope has been served in no less than three federal actions in United States courts for gross negligence in supervising his officials -- charges for which "diplomatic immunity" is not operative. As one of the Belgian victims of Newpope's abetting of crimes on the part of his Newclergy stated: "We've all been living for years with a Church which is in denial. Now we're turning the situation around. We're in charge, we're choosing an independent judicial framework." Belgian officials revealed that Benedict-Ratzinger, knowing how vulnerable he is, has offered 5,000 Euros for the child victims to "shut up," but the victims refused the hush-money and decided to institute legal action against him instead. Benedict-Ratzinger's malfeasance broke onto the front pages when in April 2010, when it was revealed that the Newbishop of Bruges, Roger Vangheluwe, confessed that he had raped his two nephews from the age of six for a period of over a decade, and then boasted about his "conquests" in a television interview. Benedict-Ratzinger refused to take any action against his perverted Newbishop, but merely sent him off to a Church "spa" for "treatment." The Belgian government was irate and began a public investigation into Benedict-Ratzinger's personal complicity in the crimes. The Ghent Tribunal is expected to set hearings for the case against Benedict-Ratzinger in September 2011. [Some information for this Commentary was contributed by Agence France-Presse.]

Secondly... the Lefevre movement was a ruse to reel in catholics dissatisfied with Paul VI but still forcing them to pay respects and obeisance to Montini and Vatican Council II.

Thirdly.  You indeed have a religious calling.  Have you ever considered becoming a lay catholic missionary to the jews?

Fourthly. In the preceding regard, please read and meditate on  St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans, Chapters  IX-XII.
(06-03-2011, 01:38 AM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: Couple of updates. Talked to a priest today. He said the depression for lost souls MAY be a sign at the monastery, may not, but hard to tell.

I also told my parents I am thinking about the priesthood. They freaked out, said I was just doing it because I was afraid to get a job in the real world after college and that I was looking for an easy way out. I told them that I personally want to get married, but that there is a possibility in my head that God wants me to be a priest. They don't understand this, they think I am crazy, they think I should do what makes me happy. They also think Im crazy because last week I went out on a date. They said that me going on the date shows that I desire women and marriage, and that Im using the priesthood as a backup plan in case I cant find the perfect girl. My dad said he also doesnt get why I am conisdering being a priest if I am so against homosexuality, when according to him half of the priests out there are gay now. I told him the SSPX doesnt allow gay priests which is why I am attracted to it. He didnt believe me. Im 22 and i promised them I would wait until 25 before entering the seminary if in fact thats what I do. Another thing my dad called me out on was that I've only been going to the latin mass for less than a year so I don't even know what Im talking about. He said I need life experience to be a priest, and that the best priests he heard that he had respect for were ones who had real jobs for years and new had to get a paycheck. I told him that was ridiculous, a lot of saints went to the seminary/convent as teenagers, Lefebvre being one of them. He said this isnt the middle ages and preists these days need life expereince. I in turn responded to my parents quite disrespectfully I regret. I basically told them they have no credibility with me regarding religion considering they have been going to the liberal novus ordo for years and never go to confession. I said that Vatican II was the fourth secret of fatima, and that the novus ordo sacraments are bastard sacraments. I also told them that they love going to the novus ordo because nobody is ever challenged with difficult topics like hell, fatima, sins of impurity, contraception, etc. Instead everyone gets a pat on the back. I am afraid that my agreement to wait 3 years out of respect for my parents will make me get married, be happy, but possibly reject God's call.
The Lord will guide you. Keep up the good work! :w2go:
Wulfrano, why continue to post on FE if you're just going to wantonly flaunt the rules?
Quote:When speaking about the current Holy Father or any previous Pope, he will be spoken of respectfully. He may be referred to using his proper titles, e.g., The Holy Father, or his Papal name, e.g., in the case of the current Pontiff, Benedict XVI or Benedict.

No mention of newpope or whatever else you came up with there.  Might want to think about editing your post.
For whosoever will save his life, shall lose it: and whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel, shall save it. - Mark 8:35

I think that if you were being called to priesthood or religious life and rejected it, you would be rejecting the will of God. In my opinion you would be committing a grave sin, by not sacrificing your will for the sake of Gods will.