Going to hell for rejecting vocation?
(06-05-2011, 05:00 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(06-05-2011, 04:44 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: These quotes are striking fear into me and I will always remember them. The thought of God abandoning me and refusing me certain graces that are needed for my salvation if I dont follow through with the religous life is truly frightening. I will show my parents these quotes and hopefully they will fianlly realize that there is a serious chance I could go to hell if I don't enter the seminary. I will also try to not flirt/date any women in the next 2.5 years while I enter the real world like my parents want me to. I also have a habit of listening to R/B music like "slow jamz", groups like Boyz 2 Men, Luther Vandross, Whitney Houston and such, dreaming romantically of having a wife someday and getting married. I should quit listening to this music and drop the romantic side of me if I truly want to follow God. Thank you all for the advice from people on here, I need to take a break from Fisheaters indefinetly.

My advice to wulfrano above goes for you, too.

(06-05-2011, 12:07 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(06-04-2011, 07:13 PM)wulfrano Wrote: Ya that could be very well a good description of myself. I am not happy I am miserable right now when thinking about God and just how easy it is to fall into mortal sin. I am stone faced all the time in mass and when I think about God. I feel guilty about doing basic liesure activities like basketball and going to a movie.

It sounds like you likely have a serious form of scrupulosity. You should probably see a good Catholic psychologist. 

Dear Resurrexi:  The words about not being happy and being miserable etc. are not mine.  They belong to St. Dominic Savio.
(06-05-2011, 05:03 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(06-05-2011, 04:53 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(06-05-2011, 04:44 PM)st.dominic_savio Wrote: These quotes are striking fear into me and I will always remember them. The thought of God abandoning me and refusing me certain graces that are needed for my salvation if I dont follow through with the religous life is truly frightening. I will show my parents these quotes and hopefully they will fianlly realize that there is a serious chance I could go to hell if I don't enter the seminary. I will also try to not flirt/date any women in the next 2.5 years while I enter the real world like my parents want me to. I also have a habit of listening to R/B music like "slow jamz", groups like Boyz 2 Men, Luther Vandross, Whitney Houston and such, dreaming romantically of having a wife someday and getting married. I should quit listening to this music and drop the romantic side of me if I truly want to follow God. Thank you all for the advice from people on here, I need to take a break from Fisheaters indefinetly.

LOLOLOL.

Honestly, I don't really care what you do with your life, but my most important advice would be to just live and let live with your parents. You don't need to convince them of the righteousness of your every life decision. Based on what you've written here, you don't have a damn clue about how to work with parents, and showing them quotes on the Internet won't matter a fig, no matter who they're written by. They'll just prove to them that you have an unhealthy obsession with hell, fear and damnation.

Rex locutus est; causa finita est.

St. Dominic has the tough task of trying to argue with parents who do not understand human suffering brought about by having been deceived.
(06-05-2011, 05:09 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: This thread needs moderation.

Yes, dear!
(06-05-2011, 05:19 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(06-04-2011, 11:54 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: I do not understand how Catholic 'extremism' is wrong. How many of the Saints were tepid and apathetic? None.

One should not confuse piety and devotion with scrupulosity and obsession.

Dear friend Resurrexi:  I am not scrupulous nor obsessed.  You keep confusing me with St. Dominic Savio.
(06-05-2011, 05:29 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(06-04-2011, 11:54 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: I do not understand how Catholic 'extremism' is wrong. How many of the Saints were tepid and apathetic? None.

Is it wrong to be 'obsessed' with God. I don't look at those who have rejected the world for the gospel and taken up the life of asceticism, but commend them and those Saints who have done it in the past.

@ Resurrexi:  In the Apocalypse you will find the folloiwing words: "Because you are lukewarm I will vomit you from my mouth."
(06-05-2011, 05:39 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:

Is it wrong to be 'obsessed' with God. I don't look at those who have rejected the world for the gospel and taken up the life of asceticism, but commend them and those Saints who have done it in the past.

There's definitely a place for rejecting the world entirely and taking up a life of asceticism: a monastery, where one has the wisdom of experienced religious superiors to direct one's spiritual progress and prevent one from falling into dangerous and unhealthy mindsets. Perhaps some can even do this (to some extent) without joining a religious order, but one should always have the direction of a devout, learned, and orthodox priest. If I'm not mistaken, the Baltimore Catechism strictly warns against taking up hard penances without the permission of one's confessor or spiritual director.

Read the news about what goes on in today's monasteries.  St. Dominic Savio should make of himself a lay catholic missionary to the jews.  Doing that he will find his true vocation.
(06-05-2011, 08:37 PM)wulfrano Wrote: St. Dominic Savio should make of himself a lay catholic missionary to the jews.  Doing that he will find his true vocation.

Oh, you're giving callings now?

Let the Lord give the vocation.  Savio would be best served to ignore you.
(06-05-2011, 08:18 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:

If you believe there is never a need for moderation and we should always be "extreme" for God, why the heck are you wasting time on an internet forum?  There is mortificatino to be done!

In the Apocalypse you will find these words: "Because you are lukewarmn I will vomit you from my mouth"
(06-05-2011, 08:40 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(06-05-2011, 08:37 PM)wulfrano Wrote: St. Dominic Savio should make of himself a lay catholic missionary to the jews.  Doing that he will find his true vocation.

Oh, you're giving callings now?

Let the Lord give the vocation.  Savio would be best served to ignore you.

Yes, dear!
St. Dominic Savio should talk to a good priest post-haste.

Honestly and objectively, there is a scrupulosity problem here.  I wouldn't say that on an open forum unless I thought it was serious.  SDS, you need to talk to a Confessor for your own spiritual well being and spiritual peace.  I mean that sincerely.

I think we should end the conversation with that instead of confusing anyone.