Fundraising to fight ovarian cancer-please read
Hi all.
 I'm taking part in the HERA Foundation Climb for Life.  This is a month long rock-climbing festival, aimed towards educating people about and raising money to fight ovarian cancer.  I didn't know a lot about ovarian cancer before I started, but I've learned an awful lot.  Like most of us, I have mothers (yes, multiple!!), sisters, nieces, friends, and a wife that I care an AWFUL lot about.  Ovarian cancer is an insidious disease. It presents itself like an average gastrointestinal disease.  By the time it's diagnosed, the patient can be in late-stage cancer.  I'd really appreciate it if you'd take a look at my HERA fundraising site, learn a little more about the disease, and then consider making a donation.  ANY amount would help.  Thanks.

[url=http://www.heraclimb4lifedc.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=157480&u=157480-120220846][/url] 
Spent the weekend climbing and talking with Sean Patrick, the lady who started HERA.  She was telling us that she heard from the parents of a 6 year old girl who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Not sure how that happens, but a scary thought.
Hey Staredge,

Can you tell us how the donations are used? As Catholics, we have to be careful that we are not donating to research that uses aborted babies' stem cells, etc. It is a rare medical charity that does not experiment with fetal tissue, that is why I ask.
Well, this is from their website: (herafoundation.org)

The Young Scientists program funds post docs and clinical fellows with new ideas. It is our goal to act as an incubator for up and coming talent.
  • Dr. Brant Wang of Johns Hopkins University, recognized as a world leader in cancer research and treatment, for his work in early detection and improving the diagnosis value of the CA 125 blood test

• Dr. Hiroyuki Yoshida in molecular therapeutics at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas for his work in identifying novel targets for controlling ovarian cancer metastases

• Dr. Martina Bazzaro in pathology at Johns Hopkins University for her work in the development of a new test for early detection

• Dr. Christina Borgeest in public health at Johns Hopkins University for her work in exploring the role environmental factors like pesticides might play on how endocrine disrupters might alter the estrogen metabolism

• Dr. Santillan in the department of gyn oncology at Johns Hopkins for his work in understanding what women will respond best to what treatments so that ovarian cancer treatment can be better targeted to the individual to improve survival

• Dr. Kentaro Nakayama in the department of pathology at Johns Hopkins for work in determining the molecular etiology of low grade ovarian cancer and to develop innovative target based therapies

• Career development awards were awarded in November 2005 to 2 young scientists at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center to enable them to work with labs at different institutions and bring new technologies back to their labs to advance ovarian cancer research through novel collaborations
So I'm not sure. I'm guessing that somewhere along the way they either have or will.  A moral quandary to be sure.