FE labels for Catholics and "Non Catholics" err Protestants.
This is not meant to be an attack on FE posters, but i hear lots of terms like Traditional, Ultra Traditional, Orthodox Catholic, Neo Catholic, Liberal "Catholic" all tossed around... I'd like to know what constitutes which???

Please correct me:

1. Ultra Traditional Catholic-- Typically a Catholic who only attends the CMRI, SSPV or any Chapel that doesn't recognize the Pope.
2. Traditional Catholic-- A Catholic who strictly only attends the SSPX, FSSP or ICK or Diocesan TLM.
3. Orthodox Catholic-- Usually attends the TLM or Eastern Rite, but may on occasion attend the NO to fullfill Sunday obligation...Follows all the Traditional Teachings of the Church
4. Neo-Catholic-- May follow the teachings of the Church, but will not attend the TLM and loves the Term "Spirit of Vatican II and believes JP II is Saintly. (Also may believe the Vatican or Pope issued an "indult" on CITH)
5. Liberal "Catholic"-  Goes to the NO Church either weekly or when they want during holidays, but DON'T follow the teachings, but still sacrilegiously receive.

Do i have these labels correct, and could you provide an example of Each?? ???

How about a devout Catholic person who attends the TLM on Sunday, but will go daily during the week to receive the Eucharist on the tongue at a NO while wearing a veil...  Where does that person fit in all this???

Much help appreciated!!
(06-06-2011, 06:53 AM)crusaderfortruth3372 Wrote: This is not meant to be an attack on FE posters, but i hear lots of terms like Traditional, Ultra Traditional, Orthodox Catholic, Neo Catholic, Liberal "Catholic" all tossed around... I'd like to know what constitutes which???

Please correct me:

1. Ultra Traditional Catholic-- Typically a Catholic who only attends the CMRI, SSPV or any Chapel that doesn't recognize the Pope.
2. Traditional Catholic-- A Catholic who strictly only attends the SSPX, FSSP or ICK or Diocesan TLM.
3. Orthodox Catholic-- Usually attends the TLM or Eastern Rite, but may on occasion attend the NO to fullfill Sunday obligation...Follows all the Traditional Teachings of the Church
4. Neo-Catholic-- May follow the teachings of the Church, but will not attend the TLM and loves the Term "Spirit of Vatican II and believes JP II is Saintly. (Also may believe the Vatican or Pope issued an "indult" on CITH)
5. Liberal "Catholic"-  Goes to the NO Church either weekly or when they want during holidays, but DON'T follow the teachings, but still sacrilegiously receive.

Do i have these labels correct, and could you provide an example of Each?? ???

How about a devout Catholic person who attends the TLM on Sunday, but will go daily during the week to receive the Eucharist on the tongue at a NO while wearing a veil...  Where does that person fit in all this???

Much help appreciated!!

Neo-Catholic is a term I dislike.  The term is somewhat confusing as many people toss it around without really defining it but tends to refer to people who agree that Vatican II was valid and a good thing, but that major problems did develop in the aftermath of the council, but these were abuses and not a result of the council.  Neo-Catholics thus are big on adovating the "reform of the reform."  They almost always big supporters of the traditional mass, but also of Vatican II and the papacy of John Paul II.  The catholic apologist Scott Hahn is usually seen as the quintessential neo-Catholic. 

I just don't find these labels particularly useful.  If you believe in the complete teachings of the church and try your best to live the faith you are a Catholic. Period.  I would not label someone a liberal catholic who prefers to attend the Novus Ordos, but believes in all the teachings of the church.  And a self-proclaimed traditional Catholic who embraces heterodox beliefs is not much of a Catholic. 

It's an error to believe that the Catholic Faith was founded in 1962 with Vatican II.  It's also an error to believe that the Catholic Church suddenly imploded in 1962 and that Vatican II and the papacies of Paul VI and John Paul II never happened and the Novus Ordo is invalid.
I'm a Roman Catholic. ie: I believe what the Church has always believed and worship the way the Church has always worshipped.

You're either Catholic or something else.
(06-06-2011, 07:06 AM)Someone1776 Wrote:    
It's an error to believe that the Catholic Faith was founded in 1962 with Vatican II.  It's also an error to believe that the Catholic Church suddenly imploded in 1962 and that Vatican II and the papacies of Paul VI and John Paul II never happened and the Novus Ordo is invalid.

No, I agree with you there..... I'm just trying to get some feedback as to what others think of these "labels"
Ultra-Trad for a sede sounds wrong. They are not even proper Catholics.
In this field, labels are useful as long as one has the understanding that they're not absolute rules.

But the bottom line for me is that if a person is baptized/confirmed, identifies himself as a Catholic and isn't excommunicated, then he's Catholic. He may be a bad Catholic, but then again, most Catholics always have been.
Ultra-traditionalists: People who believe that the tridentine mass and Council of Trent are invalid.  They call for the return to mass of Saint Gregory Great without Gallican influences which they insist are abuses! NO MORE CANDLES AT MASS!!!

:-p
(06-06-2011, 07:51 AM)Someone1776 Wrote: Ultra-traditionalists: People who believe that the tridentine mass and Council of Trent are invalid.  They call for the return to mass of Saint Gregory Great without Gallican influences which they insist are abuses! NO MORE CANDLES AT MASS!!!

:-p

:laughing:
(06-06-2011, 07:49 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: In this field, labels are useful as long as one has the understanding that they're not absolute rules.

But the bottom line for me is that if a person is baptized/confirmed, identifies himself as a Catholic and isn't excommunicated, then he's Catholic. He may be a bad Catholic, but then again, most Catholics always have been.

True, great point on 2nd....Didn't think of that, although one could argue that there are many liberal catholics today that probably should be excommunicated with evil liberalism and modernism running rampant... But that is not for me to judge!!
I don't think these labels are used consistently on FE.  Quite often "ultra-traditional" and "neo-Catholic" mean little more than "someone I disagree with".