FE labels for Catholics and "Non Catholics" err Protestants.
Trying to tag these labels on specific groups will get you nowhere. There is no continuum of groups, e.g. Novus Ordo -> FSSP -> SSPX -> CMRI, as if it's a sliding scale from legitimacy to illegitimacy. Each group has reached a reasonable position based on theological arguments, and these arguments cannot always be understood in the same framework. Moreover, within each group, the individuals associated with them differ, public relations aside.

For example, you can have a bishop "in good standing" who is a total apostate. You can have a sede priest who is completely orthodox. Whether he's schismatic or not is up for debate (but not here on Fisheaters), but you have this strange situation where the apostate is in good standing and the Catholic is expelled. Which one deserves the agit-prop tag "ultra" or "radical"? What gets more weight, obedience or dogma? Because today you can't always have both.

As far as the sedes, Catholics who call themselves traditionalists would be on more stable ground, intellectually, by not demonizing them. Especially SSPXers, who claim to recognize the Pope yet act as if they have more authority than him to decide what's Tradition and what isn't. You'd think the CMRI and the SSPX would be on speaking terms.
I agree with charlesh.
[Image: untradition-catholic.jpg]
(06-09-2011, 04:43 PM)LuminousPax Wrote: [Image: untradition-catholic.jpg]

Quis and Rosarium?
(06-09-2011, 04:45 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(06-09-2011, 04:43 PM)LuminousPax Wrote: [Image: untradition-catholic.jpg]

Quis and Rosarium?

Bah!   :laughing: They do seem to like like long hair and beards.
(06-06-2011, 06:53 AM)crusaderfortruth3372 Wrote: This is not meant to be an attack on FE posters, but i hear lots of terms like Traditional, Ultra Traditional, Orthodox Catholic, Neo Catholic, Liberal "Catholic" all tossed around... I'd like to know what constitutes which???

Please correct me:

1. Ultra Traditional Catholic-- Typically a Catholic who only attends the CMRI, SSPV or any Chapel that doesn't recognize the Pope.
2. Traditional Catholic-- A Catholic who strictly only attends the SSPX, FSSP or ICK or Diocesan TLM.
3. Orthodox Catholic-- Usually attends the TLM or Eastern Rite, but may on occasion attend the NO to fullfill Sunday obligation...Follows all the Traditional Teachings of the Church
4. Neo-Catholic-- May follow the teachings of the Church, but will not attend the TLM and loves the Term "Spirit of Vatican II and believes JP II is Saintly. (Also may believe the Vatican or Pope issued an "indult" on CITH)
5. Liberal "Catholic"-  Goes to the NO Church either weekly or when they want during holidays, but DON'T follow the teachings, but still sacrilegiously receive.

Do i have these labels correct, and could you provide an example of Each?? ???

How about a devout Catholic person who attends the TLM on Sunday, but will go daily during the week to receive the Eucharist on the tongue at a NO while wearing a veil...  Where does that person fit in all this???

Much help appreciated!!

I'm not sure any of that is helpful really.

There are Catholics and then there is everyone else.

A bit like there was Noah with his companions in the Ark and then there was everyone else outside the Ark who drowned.

The Ark is a type of the Church.

(06-09-2011, 04:29 PM)charlesh Wrote: Trying to tag these labels on specific groups will get you nowhere. There is no continuum of groups, e.g. Novus Ordo -> FSSP -> SSPX -> CMRI, as if it's a sliding scale from legitimacy to illegitimacy. Each group has reached a reasonable position based on theological arguments, and these arguments cannot always be understood in the same framework. Moreover, within each group, the individuals associated with them differ, public relations aside.

For example, you can have a bishop "in good standing" who is a total apostate. You can have a sede priest who is completely orthodox. Whether he's schismatic or not is up for debate (but not here on Fisheaters), but you have this strange situation where the apostate is in good standing and the Catholic is expelled. Which one deserves the agit-prop tag "ultra" or "radical"? What gets more weight, obedience or dogma? Because today you can't always have both.

As far as the sedes, Catholics who call themselves traditionalists would be on more stable ground, intellectually, by not demonizing them. Especially SSPXers, who claim to recognize the Pope yet act as if they have more authority than him to decide what's Tradition and what isn't. You'd think the CMRI and the SSPX would be on speaking terms.

Very well said.