Your friends reaction to your Faith
(06-07-2011, 08:14 AM)Fontevrault Wrote: I'm not a convert but my husband and I returned to the church after wandering away in our 20s.  My sister found our religious focus disturbing and interpreted it as me judging her for not going to church.  Strangely enough, her paranoia (or perhaps her conscience bugging her) opened up conversations about the faith.  And now, she's going to mass regularly.  Thank God!  :) 

Deo gratias
:pray:
I am revert and my friends are Catholics and so is about 99% of my family, however I think my parents are rather surprise that I went from what they perceived as a lax rather fallen away Catholic to a Trad, in a blink of an eye. They believe that my sudden conversion was facilitated by the late Blessed John Paul II. They consider my reversion as a miracle to them from the late pontiff.
(06-07-2011, 06:17 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: I am revert and my friends are Catholics and so is about 99% of my family, however I think my parents are rather surprise that I went from what they perceived as a lax rather fallen away Catholic to a Trad, in a blink of an eye. They believe that my sudden conversion was facilitated by the late Blessed John Paul II. They consider my reversion as a miracle to them from the late pontiff.

That's really cool. I wish I had Catholic friends. I can't seem to find any but since I live in the bible belt, chances of me meeting anyone my age that is a devout Catholic in my daily life is slim to none. I do know two Catholics my age besides my husband and his family and they don't practice.
Mostly indifference. If not, friends thought it was mildly interesting or eccentric. Had a friend visit my house not too long ago who said, "you're religious, but like..... Renaissance religious. That's cool."
(06-07-2011, 09:41 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Mostly indifference. If not, friends thought it was mildly interesting or eccentric. Had a friend visit my house not too long ago who said, "you're religious, but like..... Renaissance religious. That's cool."

Renaissance religious...that is cool  ;D
Mostly people know me as the 'religious guy' and sometimes they ask me questions about religion. Never had anyone really want to convert though. Those I once associated with who were staunch antichrists I no longer talk with.
I was raised in a "cafeteria Catholic" household, was baptised and confirmed, made my first confession and communion.  Attended Catholic schools until I was 14 at which time I dropped out of education (considering I am now working on a possible vocation to the priesthood this is a real bother).

When I was 16 I started looking into the Catholic Faith seriously (which is when I discovered the TLM).  I made my first confession in years and the rest is history.

Seeing as I've always really ever counted Catholics amongst my close friends I've not really suffered a hostile reaction.  My mother is happy that I believe in something (and she is becoming more active herself), I don't know what my Father thinks outside of his being happy I am not a Protestant, grandmother is over the moon and close friends are always winding me up.
(06-07-2011, 09:29 PM)FaustinaClare Wrote:
(06-07-2011, 06:17 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: I am revert and my friends are Catholics and so is about 99% of my family, however I think my parents are rather surprise that I went from what they perceived as a lax rather fallen away Catholic to a Trad, in a blink of an eye. They believe that my sudden conversion was facilitated by the late Blessed John Paul II. They consider my reversion as a miracle to them from the late pontiff.

That's really cool. I wish I had Catholic friends. I can't seem to find any but since I live in the bible belt, chances of me meeting anyone my age that is a devout Catholic in my daily life is slim to none. I do know two Catholics my age besides my husband and his family and they don't practice.

No luck at your parish?
(06-08-2011, 07:01 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(06-07-2011, 09:29 PM)FaustinaClare Wrote:

No luck at your parish?

No, I haven't been able to meet anyone my age. They have a young adult group that meets once a month but I can never go due to my job schedule. It would be nice to meet some people that were as serious about their faith as I am though. The only one I have to talk to about Catholicism is my mother who is also a convert. My husband isn't that interested and most of his family doesn't seriously practice their faith.
I've gradually slid from the "History Buff" and "Mr Serious", to now, I'm the "religious one" in the family.  I suppose most of my family see me as one of  the most deeply religious one in the family.

My family's all lukewarm or lapsed; my older brother, a Protestant heretic. My grandmother a pious Catholic and my grandfather a practising, but rather liberal Catholic. *sigh. I pray for him and my family.  I'm the one who's thought to be ultra-conservative and super-traditional, but then again, I am very laid back and I don't force anyone to come to mass.  I am usually just humoured and my words fall upon my family's deaf ears (save, sometimes my mother or grandparents are respectful of me, even if they are a bit mystified in some ways by me.  They just know that I try in all things to be a faithful Catholic to God above all else. My Prot brother occasionally asks a bit of advice on scripture, but refuses any correction upon his misunderstandings of Roman Catholicism (He thinks he knows best about what Catholics really believe having been raised as a nominal Cafeteria Catholic. *sigh).