Brown scapulars with man-sized cords, please!
I will second the recommendation for the Sisters of Mount Carmel.

And sadly the AMM only offer free MM in North America.
(06-08-2011, 07:21 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote: Mines the el cheapo that our priests handed out, so the pictures have worn off in a few months. I have been wondering if there are better quality ones. Especially ones that are condusive to excersising and other active activities. I'm one of those guys that doesn't wear any jewelry and such; and really dislike having something around my neck.

The scapular is a small version of a garment. Your shirt collar goes around your neck does it not?

I'm "one of those guys" who doesn't wear jewelry, and I do not see what the connection is to sacramentals. It is not jewelry.
(06-08-2011, 08:18 AM)timoose Wrote: The Sisters of Carmel make excellent ones which wear like iron, and do not fade.

http://www.sistersofcarmel.com/brown-sca...carmel.php

tim

Thanks I will order one. Do you have to be enrolled again if you get a new one or do you just slap it on and go?
(06-08-2011, 09:01 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote: Thanks I will order one. Do you have to be enrolled again if you get a new one or do you just slap it on and go?

You do not have to be enrolled again. Once you are enrolled, any brown scapular can be worn.

And you put on Our Lady's garment, not "slap it on".
...and Mac, the Sisters send a nice little pamphlet with a daily offering prayer in conjunction with the Scapular. I use it always.

tim
(06-08-2011, 10:21 AM)timoose Wrote: ...and Mac, the Sisters send a nice little pamphlet with a daily offering prayer in conjunction with the Scapular. I use it always.

tim

thanks, a prayer would be good. I don't recall our priests every stating that there was one and the little bit of research I did did not state much about the scapular. I will have to look over the site you linked to, to get a better understanding.
(06-08-2011, 08:47 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 07:21 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote: Mines the el cheapo that our priests handed out, so the pictures have worn off in a few months. I have been wondering if there are better quality ones. Especially ones that are condusive to excersising and other active activities. I'm one of those guys that doesn't wear any jewelry and such; and really dislike having something around my neck.

The scapular is a small version of a garment. Your shirt collar goes around your neck does it not?

I'm "one of those guys" who doesn't wear jewelry, and I do not see what the connection is to sacramentals. It is not jewelry.

I did not call it a piece a of jewelry, but rereading my post I can see how you would derive to that conclusion. So in general I apologize. I was posting in reply to another poster, not you, who shared some of my same concerns in quality of the sacramental. Also I was posting while working on a narrative paper and thus was not putting proper thought behind my post, which was imprudent of me. The connection between jewelry and the sacramental is that the garment is on a round string like a necklace. The inexpensive poorly constructed scapulars come on a string that is very thin and for somebody like me very uncomfortable. This case, as I had stated, is when I'm in the process of participating in an active event such as exercising. Tim was kind enough to provide excellent information and sources, as he always does. I will follow that advice to hopefully remedy my discomfort and to use the scapular appropriately.
(06-08-2011, 02:18 AM)Mac_Giolla_Bhrighde Wrote: Mine acts like a garrote.

Then, it would appear that yours is working perfectly.  ;)
(06-08-2011, 07:16 AM)Pilgrim_here Wrote: Hijacking the thread slightly, but I also have a problem with my scapulars which is that the pictures of Jesus and Mary tend to rub off very quickly.  Couple of months and it's just blank on both sides.  Any suggestions for how to stop this?  Or do people use the scapular medal instead?  My preference is for a cloth one, as that's what was given to Saint Simon Stock by Our Blessed Mother.......

No need to stop it. The pictures are superfluous. The scapular, to which any indulgences or promises are attached is the cloth alone.
Thanks all.