What's good about the Novus Ordo Mass?
(06-08-2011, 11:25 AM)Christus Imperat Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 11:24 AM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 11:20 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 11:10 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: Obviously society at all levels needs to profess and support the true faith, but from a practical point of view, I don't see any more confessional states popping up. If that's what you're into, you should probably work to make sure the ones that still exist (like Malta) stay that way.

They're certainly not going to "pop up" if the Church herself rejects her own teachings.

I don't think the Church does or even can reject her own teachings.

He means Churchmen.

I knew what he meant, but he should be careful in his terminology. Theological distinctions are important you know. After all, it was only "one iota" that separated Catholics from heretics in the fourth century.
3 Sanctus is wrong, For preaching and teaching the faith in places such as China , Hawaii and other lands far away long before the Novus Ordo and this includes Indian tribes, the missionary priests had to learn the local language or dialect. They also needed it to hear confessions so he is totally wrong. As for the Mass at that time being in Latin , the people were told that the priest was offering up to God the sacrifice of Jesus, they didn't need to understand the words to offer it up with him. The priest is our intercessor with God so we need not know the words. But incidentally in those days the teaching of the priests and sisters was so good outside mass that most of these proably understood the mass better than the Novus Ordo people of today do. Just go meet some of the older people who were taught prior to Vatican 2 today and they know the Latin responses and hymns better than many of the Novus Ordo priests today do. The faith was taught solidly back then.
(06-07-2011, 11:29 PM)Norbert Wrote:   Veneration of the saints predated Roman paganism (AFAIK) ......

??? ??? ???
I must be like Jim on Taxi, I thought we were talking about the few good things in the NO Mass.

tim
(06-08-2011, 03:53 PM)timoose Wrote: I must be like Jim on Taxi, I thought we were talking about the few good things in the NO Mass.

tim

I had described an argument in favor of the Old Testament readings, but no response.

I also like the idea of reintroducing bidding prayers/the intercessions of the faithful, even though the way they're executed is dumb 99% of the time today. The pre-Reformation Sarum Missal of England used bidding prayers before the start of Mass proper. The Good Friday has a remnant of the old bidding prayers via the Great Intercessions.
The psalm could be chanted in lieu of the prayers at the foot of the altar. It would expose us to the psalms bit by bit. Having quite a few years now with the different versions of the office, I'd say it would be a very good way to teach.

tim
(06-08-2011, 04:00 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 03:53 PM)timoose Wrote: I must be like Jim on Taxi, I thought we were talking about the few good things in the NO Mass.

tim

I had described an argument in favor of the Old Testament readings, but no response.

I also like the idea of reintroducing bidding prayers/the intercessions of the faithful, even though the way they're executed is dumb 99% of the time today. The pre-Reformation Sarum Missal of England used bidding prayers before the start of Mass proper. The Good Friday has a remnant of the old bidding prayers via the Great Intercessions.

Both good ideas.  The OT readings were already there, I would like some more back.  Also preces, formal / standardized / traditionan / in Latin.

Also one aspect of the NO was a miguided attempt to recover ancient practices ... I would like a non-misguided attempt to do this.  Bring back longer Gospel processions, troped Kyries (and the other parts of the ordinary that can be troped when chanted), much longer offertory and other verses and so on.  These could at least be used optionally, so that your average parish could have 40 min low Mass and then have Tierce and the 2.5 hour full Solemn Mass later.
(06-08-2011, 12:02 PM)salus Wrote: 3 Sanctus is wrong, For preaching and teaching the faith in places such as China , Hawaii and other lands far away long before the Novus Ordo and this includes Indian tribes, the missionary priests had to learn the local language or dialect. They also needed it to hear confessions so he is totally wrong. As for the Mass at that time being in Latin , the people were told that the priest was offering up to God the sacrifice of Jesus, they didn't need to understand the words to offer it up with him. The priest is our intercessor with God so we need not know the words. But incidentally in those days the teaching of the priests and sisters was so good outside mass that most of these proably understood the mass better than the Novus Ordo people of today do. Just go meet some of the older people who were taught prior to Vatican 2 today and they know the Latin responses and hymns better than many of the Novus Ordo priests today do. The faith was taught solidly back then.

You still see this today. We get a lot of poor Haitians at my church, but they know all the responses and hymns in Latin. They just learn it on their own.
"What's good about the Novus Ordo Mass?"

By far the best thing, and I personally think the only good thing, is the Consecration.

Many who do not have access, for any number of reasons, to the TLM, still are able to adore Almighty God in the August Sacrifice if the correct form and matter are used.
So do we all love Low Masses? Because I'm starting to have my doubts.