What's good about the Novus Ordo Mass?
(06-08-2011, 05:20 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: Also one aspect of the NO was a miguided attempt to recover ancient practices ... I would like a non-misguided attempt to do this.  Bring back longer Gospel processions, troped Kyries (and the other parts of the ordinary that can be troped when chanted), much longer offertory and other verses and so on.  These could at least be used optionally, so that your average parish could have 40 min low Mass and then have Tierce and the 2.5 hour full Solemn Mass later.

If nothing else, the longer Offertory verses are already definitively allowed in the Tridentine Mass (and the Novus Ordo). My schola uses them when we can. They're usually hard... but awesome.
(06-08-2011, 06:54 PM)Melita Wrote: So do we all love Low Masses? Because I'm starting to have my doubts.

I don't love low Mass, but I don't hate it either. It serves a good purpose, which is mainly for priests to offer additional Masses beyond the main liturgy of the day, or for missionary countries when you just can't do better. It certainly was never meant to be a lay Christian's normal Sunday experience.
I find the NO far far far far far more tolerable in its low mass form.
I grew up on daily low Mass, on Sundays it was Missa Cantata. Parishes had many more people then so we had lots of Masses every day. We had High Mass as well but I avoided it because it was the well to do that went then. I love the Dialogata, and the Cantata even more.

tim
(06-08-2011, 07:20 PM)timoose Wrote: I grew up on daily low Mass, on Sundays it was Missa Cantata. Parishes had many more people then so we had lots of Masses every day. We had High Mass as well but I avoided it because it was the well to do that went then. I love the Dialogata, and the Cantata even more.

tim

Why would you avoid Solemn mass? It's the only one I really enjoy.
I love the dialogue mass at the SSPX chapel in my city.
(06-08-2011, 07:23 PM)Melita Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 07:20 PM)timoose Wrote: IWe had High Mass as well but I avoided it because it was the well to do that went then.

tim

"the well to-do" = snobby rich people were in attendance
(06-08-2011, 07:25 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 07:23 PM)Melita Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 07:20 PM)timoose Wrote: IWe had High Mass as well but I avoided it because it was the well to do that went then.

tim

"the well to-do" = snobby rich people were in attendance

But why would that matter...
(06-08-2011, 07:26 PM)Melita Wrote: But why would that matter...

I can understand why it matters. Sunday Mass is a communal worship experience. If you're with a bunch of people you don't have much in common with, it can feel weird, like if you're the only white guy in a church full of Mexicans.

In my case, I always feel a little weird sitting around people with a lot of dirty, rowdy kids. I grew up as an only child, sat perfectly still, never talked to strangers and never got dirty, so I don't know why all kids can't be the same!
(06-08-2011, 07:32 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 07:26 PM)Melita Wrote: But why would that matter...

I can understand why it matters. Sunday Mass is a communal worship experience. If you're with a bunch of people you don't have much in common with, it can feel weird, like if you're the only white guy in a church full of Mexicans.

In my case, I always feel a little weird sitting around people with a lot of dirty, rowdy kids. I grew up as an only child, sat perfectly still, never talked to strangers and never got dirty, so I don't know why all kids can't be the same!

I guess so. Though the community of worshipers shouldn't be limited by nationality, economic 'bracket' or whether they're dirty or prissy kids. Everyone there is Catholic, that should be enough!