What's good about the Novus Ordo Mass?
(06-08-2011, 07:38 PM)Melita Wrote: I guess so. Though the community of worshipers shouldn't be limited by nationality, economic 'bracket' or whether they're dirty or prissy kids. Everyone there is Catholic, that should be enough!

I agree, it shouldn't matter. But people are people. If people voluntarily segregate, then it's not a big deal.
(06-08-2011, 07:38 PM)Melita Wrote: I guess so. Though the community of worshipers shouldn't be limited by nationality, economic 'bracket' or whether they're dirty or prissy kids. Everyone there is Catholic, that should be enough!

Context: this was pre-Vatican II with daily TLM's, multiple TLM's on Sundays. So he just chose, it seems, to avoid a particular Sunday TLM and attend another.
(06-08-2011, 06:54 PM)Melita Wrote: So do we all love Low Masses? Because I'm starting to have my doubts.

I'm a fan of High Mass. I enjoy singing the "Asperges" (or "Vidi Aquam"), the ordinary chants, and the chanted responses with the choir. But I'll take a Tridentine Low Mass in a side chapel with a single server over the most "Reform-of-the-Reform" Novus Ordo any day of the liturgical year.
(06-08-2011, 07:23 PM)Melita Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 07:20 PM)timoose Wrote: I grew up on daily low Mass, on Sundays it was Missa Cantata. Parishes had many more people then so we had lots of Masses every day. We had High Mass as well but I avoided it because it was the well to do that went then. I love the Dialogata, and the Cantata even more.

tim

Why would you avoid Solemn mass? It's the only one I really enjoy.

You're from Malta, right? I started a thread a while back asking about TLMs in Malta, so, I was wondering, does that comment mean there is one in Malta?
I LOVE the high Mass in all its glory and splendour, but I also Love the Low Mass. It was in the Low Mass that I had my "conversion" to becoming a tradtional Catholic and a much deeper appreciation of my Catholic Faith.

Also from a recent experience of when I was visitng in New Zealand, I attended a Low Masss there. the priest was almost 90 yo and mumbled the entire Mass, you could not hear one word at all even the parts that are supposed to be said aloud, and that simple Low Mass took 3 hours....It was that experience that brought before my eyes that I am at the Mass to adore Our Lord, not for the beautiful gregorian chant, or the smells'n'bells etc etc even though I love all of these......

So what am I saying ??? I am saying that even though the Low Mass can be very humble, it can bring the true meaning of the Mass for us-we are there to adore Our Lord.

It is an easy pitfall for Catholics to fall into that we are at the Mass (high Mass) for the glamour and splendour that comes with it. This is a very beautiful and very fitting for God and it should be encouraged at all costs (having said that, I actually asked to have a sung Mass for my 18th.....and received a solemn sung Mass; it made the greatest birthday present ever received by anyone on earth!!), but sometimes the simplest Low Mass can bring before your eyes that you are there for Jesus, not for the galmour that comes with it, the delight of getting to dress up, or because they are so many young priests....
This is going to be weird for you. We had lots more Catholics then, because we were not spread out like today. Five Masses every day and ten on Sundays including the Chapel. In the big Church we could fit about a thousand and at 10:00 am on Sunday in the summer it was packed and hot. The 8:00 am had less and was cooler. In the winter with all of our heavy coats the 10:00 was tough to get a seat. The differenece is for you it is an either or decision for me it was multiple choice. Even us Catholics had classes, the poor, the working class, the professionals, and the rich. I went to school with a kid whose father invented the italian lights for Christmas decoration. We were acquaintances and chummy, but I was never asked to his house, but at the poor and the working class homes I was welcomed. There is a reason why Jesus spoke about the rich and the eye of the needle. Oh and to give you a little more understanding, I remember when the Church bought an old Apartment building and had it razed to make a parking lot. We had none before that and if you lived far you'd take the bus, or walk.Yesterday was about 100 degrees, if I'd walk the mile and a half to Church, I'd be dripping wet when I got there, not at all like today.

tim