Tattoo Issue
I posted this question on Johnette Benkovic's blog, “I have a question about my tattoos. When I was heavily involved with the occult I got a heart shaped peace sign, an ankh with angel wings, and a phoenix tattoo. They all meant something when I got them, but when I came back to the Church I have been trying to find a way to link them with things I believe in and the church believes. Unfortunately lazer removal and coverup jobs are way out of my budget to do. I am wondering what I should do. What would you suggest?”
She forwarded my question to Fr. Silva and this was the response she gave me:

Because of the seriousness of occult activity and particularly the use of occult symbols for these tattoos, I referred this question to our spiritual advisor, Father Edmund Sylvia C.S.C.

The optimal solution to this problem would be complete removal of the tattoos. But if that can’t be done, you must do your best to cover them as much as possible because these symbols could be a source of scandal to others.

Assuming that you have performed the necessary confession and formal renunciation of your involvements in the occult, Father recommends that you also seek deliverance prayers and the formal renunciation and breaking of all covenants. This is very important “to prevent harassment and serious spiritual attack,” he says. “As part of deliverance prayers, there should also be a ‘sealing’ of these tattoos, much like the formal closing of ‘portals’” (which are doorways to the occult/spirits).

Priests affiliated with the Catholic Charismatic Renewal are usually trained in these areas. Check to see if a Charismatic prayer group meets at a parish near you and contact a member of the group. They will be happy to help you find a priest.

Now I am uncomfortable about the Catholic Charismatic Renewal personally, so I feel stuck. Does anyone have any traditional ideas? lol Sorry if I posted this in the wrong category, I guess it could be a theological debate.
Welcome to Fish Eaters, gatewood1988.  I share your discomfort with going through the Charismatic Renewal to deal with this problem.  I do agree about you needing to confess your former involvement in the occult.  Did the priest you confessed to have any advice about your tatoos?
Unfortunately no he really didn't. And to be honest, he's a very laid back priest. (I looked up the first Catholic parish I could find when I came back to the Church) Unfortunately there aren't a ton of traditional views out here in Tulsa, OK. I was thinking of asking my spiritual director about it (she's a Benedictine sister) but she's the real sister of my priest and I am afraid she'll tell me not to worry too much about it. I was thinking of geting them covered with other tattoos when I could afford it (something not linked to the occult)
Gatewood,  I think a good confession is enough.. and so is covering the tatooed arm. It might be a sacrifice in the hot summer, but could be a way of making reparation for past sins. 

I like Johnette Benkovic and Fr. Ed Sylvia. I listen to them all the time. I don't agree with everything they say about the charismatic renewal.. and I once said "no thank you" to have "deliverance prayers" said for me when someone suggested this. Instead I went to confession frequently and started going to daily Mass, receiving Holy Communion daily.

At least they (Fr. Ed and Johnette) advised you to speak to a priest.
(06-08-2011, 10:19 AM)gatewood1988 Wrote: When I was heavily involved with the occult I got a heart shaped peace sign, an ankh with angel wings, and a phoenix tattoo.

I don't think this is so bad or scandalous. I was thinking more of a dragon with 666 across its chest. LOL
(06-08-2011, 11:54 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 10:19 AM)gatewood1988 Wrote: When I was heavily involved with the occult I got a heart shaped peace sign, an ankh with angel wings, and a phoenix tattoo.

I don't think this is so bad or scandalous. I was thinking more of a dragon with 666 across its chest. LOL

LOL that's what most people expect. See and I have told people that the Ankh in egyptian mythology represents eternal life, that's why I got it with angel wings. I got the heart/peace sign because I believe in peace and love. And I got the phoenix as a sign of being reborn into new life. I just flipped about them because of people saying the symbolism is evil.

i think any occult tattoo would be scandulous regardless of whether its a giant tattoo of an altar dedicated to satan or a small eye of ra on her ankle

either way these are markings made on ones body for some pagan god
(06-08-2011, 12:25 PM)Gorgondie Wrote:

i think anything any occult tattoo would be scandulous regardless of whether its a giant tattoo of an altar dedicated to satan or a small eye of ra on her ankle

If a person is "scandalized" by markings made to an imaginary pagan "god", then I would say that's their problem, not the person with the tattoos.

As St Theophan said , "study yourself and your own sins.........."  Wink
(06-08-2011, 12:36 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 12:25 PM)Gorgondie Wrote:

i think anything any occult tattoo would be scandulous regardless of whether its a giant tattoo of an altar dedicated to satan or a small eye of ra on her ankle

If a person is "scandalized" by markings made to an imaginary pagan "god", then I would say that's their problem, not the person with the tattoos.

I will not doubt that is what you would say
(06-08-2011, 12:36 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 12:25 PM)Gorgondie Wrote: i think anything any occult tattoo would be scandulous regardless of whether its a giant tattoo of an altar dedicated to satan or a small eye of ra on her ankle

St. Paul wrote about a situation in the early Church in which some believers were scandalized by those who ate meat that had been sacrificed to imaginary pagan gods.  He said that those who were eating this meat should stop because it was causing their brothers to stumble.  He did not say "that's their problem."