Tattoo Issue
Those symbols don't mean much to me.  But they obviously mean something to you gatewood..  I would just do my best to confess, which you have, and then cover them up and hope that some day you have the money to remove them if you still feel that is necessary.  It all just depends on the meaning you give them.
(06-08-2011, 12:49 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 12:36 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 12:25 PM)Gorgondie Wrote: i think anything any occult tattoo would be scandulous regardless of whether its a giant tattoo of an altar dedicated to satan or a small eye of ra on her ankle

either way these are markings made on ones body for some pagan god

If a person is "scandalized" by markings made to an imaginary pagan "god", then I would say that's their problem, not the person with the tattoos.

As St Theophan said , "study yourself and your own sins.........."  ;)

St. Paul wrote about a situation in the early Church in which some believers were scandalized by those who ate meat that had been sacrificed to imaginary pagan gods.  He said that those who were eating this meat should stop because it was causing their brothers to stumble.  He did not say "that's their problem."

St Paul said that and a lot of other things besides, but that is not pertinent to this situation.  If you are caused to stumble by something an individual did many years ago then you have a serious issue. The reality is, in this case, any scandalization is caused by fear. These symbols are completely powerless. There is nothing to fear.

(06-08-2011, 02:24 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 12:25 PM)Gorgondie Wrote: i think anything any occult tattoo would be scandulous regardless of whether its a giant tattoo of an altar dedicated to satan or a small eye of ra on her ankle

If a person is "scandalized" by markings made to an imaginary pagan "god", then I would say that's their problem, not the person with the tattoos.

St. Paul wrote about a situation in the early Church in which some believers were scandalized by those who ate meat that had been sacrificed to imaginary pagan gods.  He said that those who were eating this meat should stop because it was causing their brothers to stumble.  He did not say "that's their problem."

St Paul said that and a lot of other things besides, but that is not pertinent to this situation.  If you are caused to stumble by something an individual did many years ago then you have a serious issue. The reality is, in this case, any scandalization is caused by fear. These symbols are completely powerless. There is nothing to fear.

The situations are very similar and his advice almost certainly applies.  Even though the pagan gods are not real and the sacrifices made to them had no power, St. Paul nevertheless recommended that people refrain from eating this meat because it caused scandal to the brethren.  He said that even though these people had reached a wrong conclusion it was wrong to scandalize them.  I do not see how you can dismiss this as not pertinent.
(06-08-2011, 02:34 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 02:24 PM)Silouan Wrote:

The situations are very similar and his advice almost certainly applies.  Even though the pagan gods are not real and the sacrifices made to them had no power, St. Paul nevertheless recommended that people refrain from eating this meat because it caused scandal to the brethren.  He said that even though these people had reached a wrong conclusion it was wrong to scandalize them.  I do not see how you can dismiss this as not pertinent.

Because the individual in question cannot "refrain" from doing something that is already done.
(06-08-2011, 02:34 PM)JayneK Wrote: Even though the pagan gods are not real and the sacrifices made to them had no power

I wouldn't be so rash as to dismiss all pagan gods as figments of the imagination.

Psalm 95:5 Wrote:"For all the gods of the Gentiles are devils"
(06-08-2011, 02:46 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 02:34 PM)JayneK Wrote: Even though the pagan gods are not real and the sacrifices made to them had no power

I wouldn't be so rash as to dismiss all pagan gods as figments of the imagination.

Psalm 95:5 Wrote:"For all the gods of the Gentiles are devils"

This.
(06-08-2011, 02:43 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 02:34 PM)JayneK Wrote: The situations are very similar and his advice almost certainly applies.  Even though the pagan gods are not real and the sacrifices made to them had no power, St. Paul nevertheless recommended that people refrain from eating this meat because it caused scandal to the brethren.  He said that even though these people had reached a wrong conclusion it was wrong to scandalize them.  I do not see how you can dismiss this as not pertinent.

Because the individual in question cannot "refrain" from doing something that is already done.

She was advised to refrain from showing the tattoos and, depending where they are situated, she can do that.
They are easy to conceal two are on my leg (concealable with the long skirts I wear) and the phoenix (which I have been told also represents Christ's Resurrection) is on my back in between my sholderblades.
(06-08-2011, 04:06 PM)gatewood1988 Wrote: They are easy to conceal two are on my leg (concealable with the long skirts I wear) and the phoenix (which I have been told also represents Christ's Resurrection) is on my back in between my sholderblades.

Wow, Gatewood!  You are quite a sight!  Two on the leg and the ph...... (I dare not print the name) on your back inbetween your shoulderblades! I suggest adhesive holy pictures over them.  And continued reading of the "Life of ther Most Blessed Ever Virgin"!
There is a traditional church in Tulsa (SSPX).

St. John Fisher Church
918-599-9557
4225 W. 5th Street
1st & 3rd Sunday: 4:00pm
As of March 13: 2nd & 4th Sunday: 4:00pm

You'll find a traditional answer there.  :)