Tattoo Issue
(06-10-2011, 05:17 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(06-10-2011, 05:00 PM)Pilgrim_here Wrote: Anyways, getting back to the thread - I think the OP is fine.  He's confessed and is going to try to remove it if he can afford it - meantime, he's covering it up.  What more can he do?

Well, he is a she, but, other than that, I agree.  :)

Like I told her... cover up with adhesive holy pictures and continue reading the "Life of the Most Blessed Ever Virgin Mary".
Christianity does have a history of taking pagan practices and symbols are Christianzing them.  So for example many Saints adopted the image of the Phoenix to explain their spiritual lives.  Some Christians have used the ankh as a sign of the cross.  And, what Christian doesn't want peace?

Yes, these images were first drawn for very non-Christian reasons.  But they are now on his body and he can't stay covered at all times. 

Anyway, I think the lesson here is: don't get tattoos that you are not 100% sure that you will be happy with for the rest of your life. 
(06-10-2011, 07:08 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: Christianity does have a history of taking pagan practices and symbols are Christianzing them.  So for example many Saints adopted the image of the Phoenix to explain their spiritual lives.  Some Christians have used the ankh as a sign of the cross.  And, what Christian doesn't want peace?

Yes, these images were first drawn for very non-Christian reasons.  But they are now on his body and he can't stay covered at all times. 

Anyway, I think the lesson here is: don't get tattoos that you are not 100% sure that you will be happy with for the rest of your life. 

This is very serious.  Our dear young lady member of FE sure had a narrow escape.  I'm glad she made it and is back in the fold.  As to the markings, maybe if she would rub on them on a daily basis some bleach, some thinner, some lacquer thinner, some nail polish cleaner...?
I knew all of these tatoos and nose rings and pins were a sign of increased occult activity and demonic in nature. Yet most American's tried to tell me they were merely a "fashion statement." No, they are a statement about America. 

For the OP, have you tried to talk about this with your parish and maybe get donations to help get these tatoos removed? Your decision is a great victory for God and I'm sure many Catholics would be willing to help get your body back to its pure state.

Good luck with everything.  :)
(06-11-2011, 09:13 PM)mistman Wrote: I knew all of these tatoos and nose rings and pins were a sign of increased occult activity and demonic in nature. Yet most American's tried to tell me they were merely a "fashion statement." No, they are a statement about America. 

For the OP, have you tried to talk about this with your parish and maybe get donations to help get these tatoos removed? Your decision is a great victory for God and I'm sure many Catholics would be willing to help get your body back to its pure state.

Good luck with everything.  :)

This is a great idea.  Get catholic friends to chip in.
I remember years ago seeing a black chasuble with a phoenix on it. It's a symbol of the Resurrection.
Thank you everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it. I think for now I am just going to cover them up the best I can (if I am dressed modestly, they shouldn't be showing at all). I have confessed before and I pray to St. Michael and St. Benedict for help. I most likely will be able to get them covered up with something not demonic, it would be less expensive in the long run since they aren't huge.
(06-14-2011, 01:39 AM)MichaelNZ Wrote: I remember years ago seeing a black chasuble with a phoenix on it. It's a symbol of the Resurrection.

I don't see why we have to resort to pagan symbols when we have our own holy christian symbols to depict the same thing.
(06-14-2011, 07:15 PM)wulfrano Wrote:
(06-14-2011, 01:39 AM)MichaelNZ Wrote: I remember years ago seeing a black chasuble with a phoenix on it. It's a symbol of the Resurrection.

I don't see why we have to resort to pagan symbols when we have our own holy christian symbols to depict the same thing.

Darn liberal Popes! 

From the Letter of Saint Clement to the Corinthians:

Quote:Let us consider that wonderful sign [of the resurrection] which takes place in Eastern lands, that is, in Arabia and the countries round about. There is a certain bird which is called a phoenix. This is the only one of its kind, and lives five hundred years. And when the time of its dissolution draws near that it must die, it builds itself a nest of frankincense, and myrrh, and other spices, into which, when the time is fulfilled, it enters and dies. But as the flesh decays a certain kind of worm is produced, which, being nourished by the juices of the dead bird, brings forth feathers. Then, when it has acquired strength, it takes up that nest in which are the bones of its parent, and bearing these it passes from the land of Arabia into Egypt, to the city called Heliopolis. And, in open day, flying in the sight of all men, it places them on the altar of the sun, and having done this, hastens back to its former abode. The priests then inspect the registers of the dates, and find that it has returned exactly as the five hundredth year was completed. Do we then think it to be a great and marvelous thing, if the Creator of the universe shall bring about the resurrection of them that have served Him with holiness in the assurance of a good faith, seeing that He showeth to us even by a bird the magnificence of His promise?
(06-14-2011, 07:31 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(06-14-2011, 07:15 PM)wulfrano Wrote:

Darn liberal Popes! 

From the Letter of Saint Clement to the Corinthians:

Quote:Let us consider that wonderful sign [of the resurrection] which takes place in Eastern lands, that is, in Arabia and the countries round about. There is a certain bird which is called a phoenix. This is the only one of its kind, and lives five hundred years. And when the time of its dissolution draws near that it must die, it builds itself a nest of frankincense, and myrrh, and other spices, into which, when the time is fulfilled, it enters and dies. But as the flesh decays a certain kind of worm is produced, which, being nourished by the juices of the dead bird, brings forth feathers. Then, when it has acquired strength, it takes up that nest in which are the bones of its parent, and bearing these it passes from the land of Arabia into Egypt, to the city called Heliopolis. And, in open day, flying in the sight of all men, it places them on the altar of the sun, and having done this, hastens back to its former abode. The priests then inspect the registers of the dates, and find that it has returned exactly as the five hundredth year was completed.  we then think it to be a great and marvelous thing, if the Creator of the universe shall bring about the resurrection of them that have served Him with holiness in the assurance of a good faith, seeing that He showeth to us even by a bird the magnificence of His promise?

The bird is pure fiction.  The bird is pure fantasy. The bird is pure pagan superstitious mythology.  Compare the bird to what Pontius Pilate told Tiberius Caesar in a letter concerning the Real Resurrection.