Tattoo Issue
(06-15-2011, 02:41 AM)wulfrano Wrote:
(06-15-2011, 02:29 AM)MichaelNZ Wrote: From Fisheaters' Christian Symbols page:

"Phoenix: The Phoenix is a mythical creature said to build a nest when old, and set it on fire. It would then rise from the ashes in victory. Because of these myths (believed by the Egyptians, Greeks, and Orientals), the bird came to symbolize Christ."

I don't need egyptian, greek or oriental mythological symbols.  Just give me christian ones.  Thank you!

you're welcome
(06-15-2011, 02:42 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(06-15-2011, 02:41 AM)wulfrano Wrote:
(06-15-2011, 02:29 AM)MichaelNZ Wrote: From Fisheaters' Christian Symbols page:

"Phoenix: The Phoenix is a mythical creature said to build a nest when old, and set it on fire. It would then rise from the ashes in victory. Because of these myths (believed by the Egyptians, Greeks, and Orientals), the bird came to symbolize Christ."

I don't need egyptian, greek or oriental mythological symbols.  Just give me christian ones.  Thank you!

you're welcome

Just give me the Cross, a Crucifix, a photograph of the Virgin of Guadalupe, a photograph of the Holy Shroud of Turin, a photograph of the Blood of St. Genarius in Naples... for example.
aye

one of things I've appreciated the most about converting from Protestantism to Catholicsm
(06-15-2011, 02:54 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: aye

one of things I've appreciated the most about converting from Protestantism to Catholicsm

Welcome to the true religion.  The Roman Catholic Religion as it was in the times of Pope Pius XII.  Before the changes wrought by John XXIII, Paul VI and Vatican Council II.  I hope and trust that you have availed yourself of catholic religion books written before 1960.
(06-15-2011, 03:20 AM)wulfrano Wrote:

Welcome to the true religion.  The Roman Catholic Religion as it was in the times of Pope Pius XII.  Before the changes wrought by John XXIII, Paul VI and Vatican Council II.  I hope and trust that you have availed yourself of catholic religion books written before 1960.

yeah I went hog-wild and book a crate of 'em from Angelus Press last Fall, especially to use with my son who's 7. I'm still sore against Pius XII for hoisting Bugnini on us though.
(06-15-2011, 03:24 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(06-15-2011, 03:20 AM)wulfrano Wrote:

yeah I went hog-wild and book a crate of 'em from Angelus Press last Fall, especially to use with my son who's 7. I'm still sore against Pius XII for hoisting Bugnini on us though.

Bugnini was a masonic sly weasel.  Fortunately, the changes he wrought in the Holy Week Liturgy are not damaging. Pius XII, being mortal, simply could not squash all the masonic roaches that had already invaded the Vatican.  Pope Leo XIII wrote a prayer to St. Michael Archangel in 1885, stating that evil men (masonic members of the hierarchy) were already inside the Holy See. Another sly weasel was mason Cardinal Rampolla.  He was so sly that he deceived even a saint (Pope Saint Pius X).
I do not think this is very bad or scandalous. I think more dragon with Illuminati in the chest.
If St. Clement somehow is not enough, here is a passage from Tertullian, De Resurrectione Carnis, chapter 13

Quote:If, however, all nature but faintly figures our resurrection; if creation affords no sign precisely like it, inasmuch as its several phenomena can hardly be said to die so much as to come to an end, nor again be deemed to be reanimated, but only reformed; then take a most complete and unassailable, symbol of our hope, for it shall be an animated being, and subject alike to life and death. I refer to the bird which is peculiar to the East, famous for its singularity, marvelous from its posthumous life, which renews its life in a voluntary death; its dying day is its birthday, for on it it departs and returns; once more a phoenix where just now there was none; once more himself, but just now out of existence; another, yet the same. What can be more express and more significant for our subject; or to what other thing can such a phenomenon bear witness? God even in His own Scripture says: "The righteous shall flourish like the phoenix; " that is, shall flourish or revive, from death, from the grave-to teach you to believe that a bodily substance may be recovered even from the fire. Our Lord has declared that we are "better than many sparrows: " well, if not better than many a phoenix too, it were no great thing. But must men die once for all, while birds in Arabia are sure of a resurrection?

The reference to God's "own Scripture" is a reference to Psalm 92:12: The just shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow up like the cedar of Libanus. The Greek Septuagint reads: δίκαιος ὡς φοῖνιξ ἀνθήσει ὡσεὶ κέδρος ἡ ἐν τῷ Λιβάνῳ πληθυνθήσεται. The word φοῖνιξ (phoenix) was read as a reference to the bird, though it refers to the the date palm (Phoenix dactylifera in Greek; so called, probably, after the Phoenicians), as the original Hebrew indicates.
St. Francis de Sales also uses the image in his Treatise on the Love of God (Book 7, chapter 6):

Quote:You are dead, said the great Apostle to the Colossians, and your life is hid with Christ in God.(Col. iii. 3). Death's effect is that the soul no longer lives in its body nor in the limits thereof. What then do these words of the Apostle mean, Theotimus: you are dead? it is as though he said: you no longer live in yourselves nor in the limits of your natural condition; your soul does not now live according to herself but above herself. The true nature of the phoenix lies in this, that by the help of the sunbeams, she annihilates her own life, to have a life more desirable and vigorous, hiding, as it were, her life under ashes. Silkworms change their being, and from worms become butterflies; bees are born worms, then become nymphs crawling on their feet, and at last they become flying bees. We do the same, Theotimus, if we are spiritual: for we forsake our natural life to live a more eminent life above ourselves, hiding all this new life in God with Jesus Christ, who alone sees, knows and bestows it. Our new life is heavenly love, which quickens and animates our soul, and this love is wholly hidden in God and divine things with Jesus Christ: for since (as the sacred Gospel text says), after our Saviour had shown himself for a little to his disciples as he rose up to heaven, thither above, he was at length environed with a cloud which took him and hid 301him from their view,—therefore Jesus Christ is hidden in heaven in God. Now Jesus Christ is our love, and our love is the life of our soul: therefore our life is hidden in God with Jesus Christ; and when Jesus Christ, who is our love, and consequently our spiritual life, shall appear, in the day of Judgment, we also shall appear with him in glory; that is, Jesus Christ our love will glorify us, communicating to us his felicity and splendour.
(06-22-2011, 04:34 PM)ecclesiastes Wrote: St. Francis de Sales also uses the image in his Treatise on the Love of God (Book 7, chapter 6):

Quote:You are dead, said the great Apostle to the Colossians, and your life is hid with Christ in God.(Col. iii. 3). Death's effect is that the soul no longer lives in its body nor in the limits thereof. What then do these words of the Apostle mean, Theotimus: you are dead? it is as though he said: you no longer live in yourselves nor in the limits of your natural condition; your soul does not now live according to herself but above herself. The true nature of the phoenix lies in this, that by the help of the sunbeams, she annihilates her own life, to have a life more desirable and vigorous, hiding, as it were, her life under ashes. Silkworms change their being, and from worms become butterflies; bees are born worms, then become nymphs crawling on their feet, and at last they become flying bees. We do the same, Theotimus, if we are spiritual: for we forsake our natural life to live a more eminent life above ourselves, hiding all this new life in God with Jesus Christ, who alone sees, knows and bestows it. Our new life is heavenly love, which quickens and animates our soul, and this love is wholly hidden in God and divine things with Jesus Christ: for since (as the sacred Gospel text says), after our Saviour had shown himself for a little to his disciples as he rose up to heaven, thither above, he was at length environed with a cloud which took him and hid 301him from their view,—therefore Jesus Christ is hidden in heaven in God. Now Jesus Christ is our love, and our love is the life of our soul: therefore our life is hidden in God with Jesus Christ; and when Jesus Christ, who is our love, and consequently our spiritual life, shall appear, in the day of Judgment, we also shall appear with him in glory; that is, Jesus Christ our love will glorify us, communicating to us his felicity and splendour.

I am sure wulfrano will be here shortly to set these saints straight on their blasphemous use of pagan images.